Muzzle Breaking the 300 rum questions

270quest

WKR
So we have decided to put a muzzle break on this 300 rum I am working on for my buddy (he hates recoil and if I can't take it, he for sure won't so is good with it). 200 grain accubonds at 3100 FPS really slam you in a 9.5 pound setup!

Anyways, my question is, the barrel is a 26" at around .650, .660 at the muzzle. Would you thread that and run it at around 27.5" or cut back the muzzle to say 25" and run it as a total of a touch over 26" total? I figured cutting back to 25" would only loose us 40-50FPS max - still leaving the 200 's the ability to run plenty fast enough. Thoughts?

b_schwin

FNG
So we have decided to put a muzzle break on this 300 rum I am working on for my buddy (he hates recoil and if I can't take it, he for sure won't so is good with it). 200 grain accubonds at 3100 FPS really slam you in a 9.5 pound setup!

Anyways, my question is, the barrel is a 26" at around .650, .660 at the muzzle. Would you thread that and run it at around 27.5" or cut back the muzzle to say 25" and run it as a total of a touch over 26" total? I figured cutting back to 25" would only loose us 40-50FPS max - still leaving the 200 's the ability to run plenty fast enough. Thoughts?

I had the same thought after talking to a few people I was advised not to cut the barrel down. I ended up getting a 9/16 threaded brake and having it installed. Yes it seems long but it’s manageable and really tames things down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
I would not cut the barrel down. In my opinion it kind of defeats the purpose of a RUM. Thread it and put a good brake on it.

I had the same thought after talking to a few people I was advised not to cut the barrel down. I ended up getting a 9/16 threaded brake and having it installed. Yes it seems long but it’s manageable and really tames things down

Personal opinion.... anytime you’re over 25” it’s about the same hassle in the field up to about 28”. More than that and it’s a bigger hassle. I’d run it as is!

Mike

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
Buddy came by today and picked up his rifle and dropped it off at the smith we use (Jim Combe - Elite Rifle Works) getting a muzzle brake installed on the 26" barrel and having him open it up and install a wyatts magazine to get to the 3.8 plus inch magazine. Even though he doesn't shoot that long - he wants this to be as LR capable as possible and selfishly, I really want to see what 212 eldx's will do. Should have the gun back in 2-3 weeks and can take the next step in getting this rifle dialed in.