Sako A7 Reviews, Recommendations, etc...

I'm new to the site and hope to be more active here then on others. However, I have acquired a SAKO A7 7mm rem mag. I'm just testing the waters here, to see if anyone is familiar with the rifle (any A7, or caliber)? Recommendations, suggestions, likes/dislikes, reviews, etc... Feel free to let me know, thanks.

FURMAN

WKR
In my opinion you should look elsewhere. For long range hunting you’ll want a magnum cartridge with long bullets. The Sakos have short mag boxes and slow twists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ID_Matt

WKR
If you have already acquired it, I don't see why you couldn't make it work just fine. Rfurman24's points are pretty valid. The twists are a little slow and the mag boxes are short but I think you could still make it work. It just isn't going to be quite as optimal, as in it can't shoot the real heavy for caliber bullets well. But you could still get away with shooting a medium sized bullet at good velocity and having success at relatively long ranges.

My Sako 85 Finnlight likes the 162 ELD-X and the ELD-M very well. In addition, 162s are recommended for a 9.5 twist too.

I'm sure the rifle should do you just fine, and it will probably shoot well. The mag box can be limiting though.

FURMAN

WKR
I have zero doubt the rifle will be accurate with the right combo but you are limiting yourself.

OP
GreyGhostBuster
Thanks guys, I understand your viewpoints and I appreciate the input. Cheers.

Side note; In relation to factory loads, the rifle has appeared to shoot the 162 SST's the best, going to begin load data this next week I hope.. I do love the trigger though! I know everyone's definition of long range hunting may differ from the guy next to them. My standpoint at this point in time is, I just want to extremely confident squeezing off on game in that 500-700 (more like 600) range. In all reality though, that is worst case scenario (I cant close the distance down). If I feel that I can shave off some distance, I will every time.

Jon Boy

WKR
I have zero doubt the rifle will be accurate with the right combo but you are limiting yourself.

Thats all relative. Maybe limiting itself for a 7 mag but a 162 eldm pushing 3k with a bc of .67 aint a bad long range combo IMO. Not an ELR combo but ill take it over any 6.5 variation out there.

FURMAN

WKR
Thats all relative. Maybe limiting itself for a 7 mag but a 162 eldm pushing 3k with a bc of .67 aint a bad long range combo IMO. Not an ELR combo but ill take it over any 6.5 variation out there.

The limiting part is NOT relative. It is a fact. With the bullet seated where it should be on most bigger bullets it will not fit in the magazine. The relative part is what is important to you. You are in a long range hunting forum and when you limit twist and more importantly magazine length you are limiting yourself. If we were talking about taking game at 100 yards I would say who cares but...

ID_Matt

WKR

I completely agree with this. Out to 700 yards like the OP said I think it would be a deadly combo. More deadly than some of the smaller calibers receiving praise IMO.

Jon Boy

WKR
The limiting part is NOT relative. It is a fact. With the bullet seated where it should be on most bigger bullets it will not fit in the magazine. The relative part is what is important to you. You are in a long range hunting forum and when you limit twist and more importantly magazine length you are limiting yourself. If we were talking about taking game at 100 yards I would say who cares but...
What I mean by relative is, sure you cant run a 180 eld or 195 berger out of it (both poor choices for a 7 mag) but the combo I gave is ballistically spanking most 6.5 and 30 cal factory combos at range. Sure there are some exceptions but a 162 eld or 168 berger in the high 2900 range is plenty rifle out to 800 yards and should fit fine in a sako. And ill take it over any 6.5 shooting 147s and over any 30 cal shooting less than a 212 grain bullet.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
What I mean by relative is, sure you cant run a 180 eld or 195 berger out of it (both poor choices for a 7 mag) but the combo I gave is ballistically spanking most 6.5 and 30 cal factory combos at range. Sure there are some exceptions but a 162 eld or 168 berger in the high 2900 range is plenty rifle out to 800 yards and should fit fine in a sako. And ill take it over any 6.5 shooting 147s and over any 30 cal shooting less than a 212 grain bullet.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I agree with everything except the 180. I love the 180s in the Rem Mag and the WSM(Not in a short action) when throated correctly. If I am spending that kind of money on a rifle I am not going to limit myself with a magazine or twist. For the money of the A7s( plastic stock) I would stretch the budget a little and get a Mesa.

ID_Matt

WKR
If I am spending that kind of money on a rifle I am not going to limit myself with a magazine or twist. For the money of the A7s( plastic stock) I would stretch the budget a little and get a Mesa.

I agree with the logic. for a handloader I would definitely be looking for bigger mag box and faster twist. But the OP said he has already acquired the gun, so I don't think he is shopping. Just looking for reviews and recommendations.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought an A7 Roughtech 308. I plan to shoot the 178 grain eldx. 2600 fps gets that round to minimum expansion velocity at around 700 yards, 600 yards @ 1700 fps +/-. I expect to be a bit north of those figures in my gun but they shed some perspective on OP's long range thoughts.

OP's gun will put the 7mm eldx minimum expansion out to about 900 yards +/- and 850ish yards @ 1700 fps. Those are some long pokes on game, and paper. And, he's still at 1500+ fps at 1000 yards, plenty of steam for range days...

He bought the right gun, the question really is: what glass?

Also, I'm replacing the plastic bolt shroud and bottom "metal" with Atlasworx bits, also changing the bolt handle as I like them grippy.

When I fire a round with a loaded magazine, all the meplats get flattened in the mag box from recoil anyway. Yes they fit, plenty of room to spare. My rounds are loaded .010 off the lands. Depending on the hunting situation, sometimes I fill it and sometimes not. I always feed a single round at a time when shooting and not hunting. I think I remember Broz speaking about doing something of the like. Maybe he will chime in?

I do agree with rfurman24 in that if I were buying it would not be an A7 and I would throw down more cash on something else. It seems that he already has the rifle in his possession, so yes I believe it will work just fine if he is to keep it. Unless he is into selling it and upgrading, which is exactly what I would do in his situation.

OP
GreyGhostBuster
I just bought an A7 Roughtech 308. I plan to shoot the 178 grain eldx. 2600 fps gets that round to minimum expansion velocity at around 700 yards, 600 yards @ 1700 fps +/-. I expect to be a bit north of those figures in my gun but they shed some perspective on OP's long range thoughts.

OP's gun will put the 7mm eldx minimum expansion out to about 900 yards +/- and 850ish yards @ 1700 fps. Those are some long pokes on game, and paper. And, he's still at 1500+ fps at 1000 yards, plenty of steam for range days...

He bought the right gun, the question really is: what glass?

Also, I'm replacing the plastic bolt shroud and bottom "metal" with Atlasworx bits, also changing the bolt handle as I like them grippy.

Did you purchase the Roughtech Pro or Range? Would love too see your finish product and maybe look into following some of your footsteps with some guidance in relation to plastic bolt shroud and bottom "metal", and bolt handle. I'm not to fond of the bolt handle either.

OP
GreyGhostBuster
I understand now that yea, there is better out there with some money movement. However, I am not in the position to make those "moves" (getting married, moving, life, etc..). Just wanting to make the best of what I do have at the moment. Getting the rifle Blue Printed, and potentially glass bedded, muzzle broke, next week prior to hand loading and load data (If I decide to put the glass I have on it). Would one advise me not to on any of those services??

Glass: Only place where I may be able to make some money move. Been researching Leopolds primarily (handful of different scopes, not one in particular yet). I currently have a 4-16-44 Vortex Diamondback HP I was thinking of putting on it and then acquiring a Kenton Industries elevation turret for it (quick fix, inexpensive when comparing to buying a new/better scope, etc.).

Last edited: