Sako A7 Reviews, Recommendations, etc...

I completely agree with this. Out to 700 yards like the OP said I think it would be a deadly combo. More deadly than some of the smaller calibers receiving praise IMO.
YUP,.. THIS ^^^^ Just Load, the 160 AB's or 162 ELDX's as noted by SEVERAL people, at .005 shorter than, your Magazine Box and Kill,.. Chit !
With "good Bullets" the 7 mm Rem Mag will get you out to, 700+ Yards and that's a long way ! Learn Wind Doping and PRACTICE to 800 yards and you will be fine ! Maybe not ELR, but far enough! PS; lots of Elk get shot, much closer, by "Hunters".

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
Did you purchase the Roughtech Pro or Range? Would love too see your finish product and maybe look into following some of your footsteps with some guidance in relation to plastic bolt shroud and bottom "metal", and bolt handle. I'm not to fond of the bolt handle either.

I'll post some pics when it's all done. I got the Roughtech Pro and leaving work early today for some trigger time. Guidance however, isn't really something you want from me; you'll go broke when it comes to "minor" firearm improvements. Mine is setup with Talley Lightweight medium height mounts and my Leupold vx5hd 3-15x44 boone & crocket reticle.

Between the 24 inch tube (with larger profile barrel than my 300 wsm, yet lighter) and my 178 grain eldx 308 experience with a 20 inch tube and the B&C reticle I expect to be able to use the reticle out to 500 yards at 12x mag (better field of view) and then I can go up to 15x mag for dialing longer shots. Perfect hunting/target rifle with low recoil, great balance, modest weight. Also have a Harris 6-9 bipod and Slogan Outdoors rubber sling.

I understand now that yea, there is better out there with some money movement. However, I am not in the position to make those "moves" (getting married, moving, life, etc..). Just wanting to make the best of what I do have at the moment. Getting the rifle Blue Printed, and potentially glass bedded, muzzle broke, next week prior to hand loading and load data (If I decide to put the glass I have on it). Would one advise me not to on any of those services??

Glass: Only place where I may be able to make some money move. Been researching Leopolds primarily (handful of different scopes, not one in particular yet). I currently have a 4-16-44 Vortex Diamondback HP I was thinking of putting on it and then acquiring a Kenton Industries elevation turret for it (quick fix, inexpensive when comparing to buying a new/better scope, etc.).

I don't think I'd worry about blueprinting.

Yeah I would definitely shoot it prior to spending any money on blueprinting or muzzle brake for that matter. If you k ow you want a brake then fine but my Tikka 7 mag recoil is easily managble (yes this is subjective).

I wouldn't pay the money to blueprint until after you have a load worked and the scope you want. I bet you will be able to get it to shoot half minute or there abouts without to much trouble. Then you can decide if the extra 350 to 500 to blue print it will be worth it.

FURMAN

WKR
I would absolutely NOT spend more money on this rifle. As I have already pointed on it is not optimal for long range hunting and I feel extra money spent is just throwing good money after bad. Shoot the rifle, get used to shooting long range, and once you get things figured out you can upgrade rifles to something more suiting for long range hunting.

ID_Matt

WKR
I wouldn't blue print. I think a brake would be beneficial if it helps you shoot better. That can be done for relatively cheap. See how the gun shoots first, most sako/tikka's I have seen shoot well under MOA relatively easy.

As far as reloads, I am not sure what you are planning to load but I have had good luck with the Classic Hunter line from Berger. They are designed for smaller mag boxes and don't need to be seated as long as the VLD's or similar. I am sure you are in to this set up at a pretty reasonable price, if you could get a decent bullet like the berger CH shooting well then I don't see why the gun wouldn't be plenty suitable for the ranges you specified. Might not be as optimal as the bigger 300's or 7's shooting heavy bullets out of long tubes, but I don't see why it wouldn't be as or more deadly at the optimal range you said than the tricked out creedmoors that are getting talked about on here.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
I have one in 7 rem mag and it shoots the 168 Classic Hunter Berger in the .3’s with 69.5 of h1000. Seated 20 though off the lands it fits in the mag. The 168 vld hunting Wouldn’t fit the mag seated 20 thou off the lands. Great shooter and great trigger for around $1000. Probably not a 1000 yard elk gun. Mine came factory threaded and the muzzle brake makes it a pleasure to shoot.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
Best day of shooting I've had in a long time; 55 degrees, sunny. 3400 feet elevation at my spot overlooking Tablerock Wilderness. Nominal wind and dry enough. The history of the rifle as sold to me by one of my trusted and reputable gun stores of choice was that it was new, unfired (except the factory round) that the consignor had traded into it. Inspection revealed no obvious signs of wear and looked great all-around. It had hung on the rack about 8 or 9 months over which time I'd considered it and handled it and contemporaneously had a few other rifles in and out of my personal possession. Lucky for me I had a NightForce NXS 2.5-10x42 I wanted out of, a bargain was struck and I left with the Sako and a sweet ruger gp100 3inch 357.

I disassembled the Sako at home and everything looked great, cleaned the bore which didn't take much and reassembled. Bought some Talley's and mounted my scope. Felt really good right away.

Zeroing was quick and uneventful, except I discovered my A7 likes 30 inch lbs for the action screws (had quintessential 2 and 3 group which in my experience means too much torque on the action), reduced from 35 and was fixed. I proceeded with a barrel break-in assuming it was unfired. Barrel break-in consisted of just shooting it with no special cleaning regimen. Once I got my horizontal plain where I wanted it I shot the below 3 shot group. Couldn't believe it, about .3 inches which had been the top of my game previously and I had now matched that in the first 10 rounds through a new gun. Immediately got my elevation dialed and spent the rest of the afternoon banging some 6 inch plates and rocks at 240-415 yards like it was my job. Then on the way out I drove past a logging operation and stopped to talk to a guy who proceeded to tell me where all the elk were. I'm taking him a bottle of whiskey this week. Even the wife was a little frisky after a few Moscow Mules - Friday was a good day ;)

I've got a new bolt handle, shroud and bottom metal en route but otherwise I'm not doing anything except shooting the ever loving piss out of it!

Attachments

• x9.jpg
    x9.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 59
  • x2.jpg
    x2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 59
Glad you like it. I had similar first experience with mine, too. Except the after party part. For me it was a great upgrade as was the VX-5 on top.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
Glad you like it. I had similar first experience with mine, too. Except the after party part. For me it was a great upgrade as was the VX-5 on top.

Vx5 is like it was made for this gun. Eldx is slow enough that the b&c reticle works on 12x and better fov then up to 15x for dialing. No tracking issues, but I've had this scope 6 months and that's been my experience thus far as well on two 300wsm's.

Seems to be, although I'm only on week one. But the sight-in session went perfectly. Can't wait to get more time in.

I have a sako z7 long range in 300 win mag and its been a very solid rifle. I have 180 gr accubonds that shoot very well out of the rifle, fit in the magazine, and have proven deadly from 25 yards to 500 yards on various game.