Anyone ever have issues W Talley's and heavy (NF) scopes?

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

so frustrating day at the range with a buddy. Anyways, just trying to do some trouble shooting ( no pun intended ) with my LR setup.

Anyone ever have issues w their talley's and heavy recoiling lr rifles + heavy optic?

I have a 300 RUM with a t1 terminator brake on it, Talley UL's and a NF NXS (30oz) .

I had the thing zero'd but I did it in like 3 shots a while ago and have been running a different rig since. I went to go shoot groups today with this gun ( going to try and hammer a bear LR this year) and the shots are walking all over the place.

I took everything apart and now have a 20MOA base on with some Burris XTR's and will try again soon.

I am wondering if this is a known talley issue or not? has anyone else had problems??

I've heard some people say they had problems with the talley LW but I never have. I'm running them with a NF also. Are they lapped? If you like the setup I would recommend a few things. Properly degrease the screws and screw holes in the action. If you suspect they are moving a small dab of JB weld under the bases when installing will keep them solid and can easily be removed with a little heat if ever needed.
Hawkins also makes a 1pc setup and I absolutely love mine. 25MOA also.

FURMAN

WKR
I will never use them again unless I have no other option. I have had the same issue will multiple rifles. My issues have all been on lighter rifles with 24+oz scopes and brakes.

idig4au

WKR
I will never use them again unless I have no other option. I have had the same issue will multiple rifles. My issues have all been on lighter rifles with 24+oz scopes and brakes.

Same here on two different Lighter weight guns. After I switched out with alternative mounting strategies, my problems went away. I’m still 50/50 with them. My last light weight build (7lb 30-378 wby) uses Talley’s that are pinned and I’ve had no issues to date.

OP
M

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from the range.... It was the Talleys.. I am another statistic! the gun groups again thankful that was an easy one the figure out.

I see the Gunwerks and Longrange pursuit guys using them on braked ubermags. I wonder how they are setting them up?!?!

anyways,

thanks guys!

Just got back from the range.... It was the Talleys.. I am another statistic! the gun groups again thankful that was an easy one the figure out.

I see the Gunwerks and Longrange pursuit guys using them on braked ubermags. I wonder how they are setting them up?!?!

anyways,

thanks guys!

I'm pretty sure they use bases that have locking pins / studs integrated into them.

DIY Scope Mounting - YouTube

Another trick I’ve used on mounting scopes on big magnums that are fairly lightweight, is to use Elmer’s rubber cement. Put a quick swipe between the rings and scope tube when you mount it up. It squeezes out any excess and you just wipe it off with a Q tip. If you ever remove the scope it comes off easy with a quick rub with your fingers. Never had a scope slip when using this method. And I got it from a big name precision scope ring manufacturer ;)

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great- now I will have to inspect my 300 rum from Fierce. I got the NX and talleys.
Any other fierce guys encounter this?
I only have 20 rounds thru it and walked it to 900, and haven't noticed any issues yet, but it is still very new.

Great- now I will have to inspect my 300 rum from Fierce. I got the NX and talleys.
Any other fierce guys encounter this?
I only have 20 rounds thru it and walked it to 900, and haven't noticed any issues yet, but it is still very new.

Put a tiny sharpie line on the front side of one of your rings on the scope body. Easy visual check to see if it’s moving on you over time.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2five7

WKR
I have them on a fairly light, braked 338 WM, 24 oz scope, no problems in about 5 years. Also on a heavy, un-braked 264 WM, 28 oz scope, no issues there either.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I have them on a mid weight 338 with brake holding a NF SHV, and have not noticed an issue. I am going through developing loads and have fired over 100 rounds so far through it.

J8tnub

FNG
If your gun has a rail on it make sure the mounts are pressed forward in the rail channel before you tighten them down. If you don’t, under recoil the rail lug will slam into your mount and cause a POI shift.

jhm2023

WKR
While not talleys I did have a problem with DNZ hunt masters which are similar to the talley lightweights. I had them holding a 16ish oz scope on a mid weight .338 win mag. I missed a nice caribou at about 300 yards and couldn't figure out how the hell I missed him. When I got home I noticed both base screws on the front mount were sheared off (they were torqued properly). I called the company and asked if it was a known problem. The person I spoke with who was the supposed owner proclaimed how this was impossible that they use the strongest steel possible in their screws. I told him, well it happened can I get some new screws please. He then began to argue with me over the phone. So I've switched to Talley lightweights and have them on a Barrett fieldcraft and a Cooper M92. Obviously not the highest recoiling rifles but I have yet to have a problem. I have a set of Talleys sitting on a shelf waiting for a 33 Nosler to arrive. I'm thinking I should try something different for that one (maybe talley fixed steel rings) after seeing this thread. Sorry for the long post, nightshift is boring and I wanted to vent my hatred for DNZ.

OP
M

micus

Lil-Rokslider
While not talleys I did have a problem with DNZ hunt masters which are similar to the talley lightweights. I had them holding a 16ish oz scope on a mid weight .338 win mag. I missed a nice caribou at about 300 yards and couldn't figure out how the hell I missed him. When I got home I noticed both base screws on the front mount were sheared off (they were torqued properly). I called the company and asked if it was a known problem. The person I spoke with who was the supposed owner proclaimed how this was impossible that they use the strongest steel possible in their screws. I told him, well it happened can I get some new screws please. He then began to argue with me over the phone. So I've switched to Talley lightweights and have them on a Barrett fieldcraft and a Cooper M92. Obviously not the highest recoiling rifles but I have yet to have a problem. I have a set of Talleys sitting on a shelf waiting for a 33 Nosler to arrive. I'm thinking I should try something different for that one (maybe talley fixed steel rings) after seeing this thread. Sorry for the long post, nightshift is boring and I wanted to vent my hatred for DNZ.

NP that's good to know actually. I think im gonna pony up and go with a badger base and rings- kindof scratches the tacticool itch a bit as well. I am also looking at the NF lightweight unimount.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I hope I do t have any issues I’ve used Talley’s for years but I’m getting ready to mount my first “big” scope (nightforce shv) on my Kimber Montana, I just ordered up Talley lightweight medium height rings as suggested to me by Talley. My current scope is a vx3i 2.5-8x36 so the nightforce is going to add ~ 8oz.

I went back and forth trying to decide if I want to go with Talley lightweights or the Talley rail and nightforce ultra light rings, I figured I’d save myself ~ 200 bucks and first try the Talley lightweights and see how that goes.

Stud Duck

Lil-Rokslider
I personally haven't had any issues with the Talley light weight rings/bases, but Stick or Big Stick, whatever his screen name is on 24HCF has posted several pictures of recoil-busted Talleys.

brocksw

WKR
The heavier the scope and/or heavier the recoil... The stronger the ring /base combo you will need. All my rifles get NF rings regardless.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk