What Scope

Russp17

WKR
So I was a lucky winner of a 6.5 Fierce Fury creedmoor at a recent sheep foundation dinner. I'm looking for opinions on which scope to put on it. This gun will likely be used for a little caribou hunting and when I go back to Wyoming deer, antelope, and elk hunting. Likely longest hunting shot won't be over 400, but I'm interested in doing some more long range shooting at the range out to 700-800 yards. I have all Leupolds vx-2 or vx-3 on my other guns. For this I'm wondering if I should switch it up or just put on a Leupold Vx3 and call it good. Budget is probably up to a 1,000 bucks.

NDGuy

WKR
Man on such an expensive rifle I would possibly sell a few rifles/scopes to fund putting at least a $1000 scope on there. Have heard great things about the Bushnell LRHS if you can find one. Also Nightforce and SWFA get a lot of love here as well.

Otherwise sell the rifle, take advantage of the 6.5 explosion it should sell fast if you sell a bit below retail.

• Banned
OP
R

Russp17

WKR
I was possibly thinking a Nightforce SHV 4-14? Any thoughts on this scope???

NDGuy

WKR
I do not personally have one but again lots of people on this forum rave about the SHV. General thoughts are good glass with excellent tracking and reliability. I am looking to add it to one of my next rifles.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
So I was a lucky winner of a 6.5 Fierce Fury creedmoor at a recent sheep foundation dinner. I'm looking for opinions on which scope to put on it. This gun will likely be used for a little caribou hunting and when I go back to Wyoming deer, antelope, and elk hunting. Likely longest hunting shot won't be over 400, but I'm interested in doing some more long range shooting at the range out to 700-800 yards. I have all Leupolds vx-2 or vx-3 on my other guns. For this I'm wondering if I should switch it up or just put on a Leupold Vx3 and call it good. Budget is probably up to a 1,000 bucks.

Leupold VX 5 HD 3-15x44 with your choice of reticle. $1k, done!

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
I was possibly thinking a Nightforce SHV 4-14? Any thoughts on this scope???

I have a Night Force SHV 3-10x42. It's really nice and seems robust. The glass, while good, isn't on the same level as my non hd vx6 or my vx5hd.

Overall it is a heavy duty scope, mine has the 30moa reticle which I like. It's on my RPR and I have no plans to change until I want more magnification. Has zero tracking issues, positive clicks, very easy to use.

But at that pricepoint for a rifle that'll get hunted I'd go with one of the vx 5 or 6 series. Dialing is no problem and still end up with a reasonably light weight and hunting useful optic.

Can't go wrong with the SHV's, glass is good (some would call it adequate) and they're very reliable. I've got close to 800 rounds throw an LRTS from Bushnell this spring and I'm very impressed. It's been through a 2 day rifle match and has seen close to 200 rounds through an 8.5 lb 338 pushing 270 grain bullets over 3000 fps. Tracks perfect and the feature set is perfect for a hunting scope. Glass is GOOD. This scope is made at the Japan LOW factory I believe, and is about the most reasonably price Japanese made optic out there. Big selling point to myself.

Have good opinions on the Athlon Ares BTR though glass isn't as good as the bushy though it proved durable and tracks well and returns to zero great over the last year I've ran it. Excited to get my hands on a few Midas TAC's I have on order, think they're going to be a great hunting scope especially for the <$700 price point. Both these scopes are China made and I had hesitations running the Ares last year but it surprised me and has held up great. Was shooting 1490 yards with it last weekend and it was spot on and returned to zero perfectly. Their Cronus scope is the only Japan made model.

Friends run the Burris Veracity's and like them, limited to 1 revolution on the turret once you set the zero stop however and that's a problem if you're planning on shooting over 800 yards for most calibers.

I wouldn't run another vortex product unless it was their Razor line.

Nikon FX1000 is another up and comer for the sub $1K scope market. Got to fondle one at the rifle match and clicks and glass are excellent. Disappointed to see it made in the philippines but you can't win them all.

Congrats on the rifle win! Good luck shooting!

Mike

NDGuy

WKR
But at that pricepoint for a rifle that'll get hunted I'd go with one of the vx 5 or 6 series. Dialing is no problem and still end up with a reasonably light weight and hunting useful optic.

If you read all the threads concerning "which scope?" Leupold frequently comes up as unreliable for tracking and returning to zero. I have never used dials for more than zeroing but will be learning this year. I have researched a lot and similar signs point to Leupold not being designed for tracking well. Could just be their lower end stuff. HellsCanyon and the other guys could chime in better than I can though.

FURMAN

WKR
I would steer clear of Leupold for the reason listed above. I just got done doing a tracking test on the FX1000 6-24x50 Nikon and it was perfect. I, unlike others, think the turrets are less than stellar. Overall the scope seems to be a great deal and to me tracking is paramount. I think my next choice would be a SHV.

OP
R

Russp17

WKR
Thanks for the info guys!

So based on what I'm hearing what is in my budget a Nightforce SHV would be a good choice and possibly a VX5? Do the upper level leupolds have the same issues for tracking. Thanks.

For your budget I would also consider a Swarovski z3 or z5, all sort of depends on your hunting style and what you’re setting the gun to do. I have 2 z3’s and a z5, had a vx6 but sold it off and I know guys love them, but wasn’t that great to me. I do have a NF SHV going on my next rifle.

I would look at bare rifle weight then factor how I am going to hunt with it and where I want the weight to be once it’s loaded up.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Do the upper level leupolds have the same issues for tracking. Thanks.

Yes.

Nightforce SHV will work fine. SWFA SS 3-9x42mm is the optic for a 0-600 yard hunting and learning long range shooting scope.

TWG0572

WKR
Probably can’t go wrong with a nightforce, Never had one, but I hear they are top-notch. I have all leupold and I have never had a tracking issue with any of them. A VX5HD 3-15 In my opinion would be a great scope for you

kickemall

WKR
Yes.

Nightforce SHV will work fine. SWFA SS 3-9x42mm is the optic for a 0-600 yard hunting and learning long range shooting scope.

Although I have a VX5 on a 6.5 and it has been solid (so far) I would save some money and listen to the above.

Totoro

WKR
SHV F1 for the win!

If you happen to sell the rifle the SHV is more than capable to stretch out further.

Yes, it's a little portly. But I will gladly take is proportion given its reliability.

Glass quality is subjective and debatable but dont forget the most important part is where the lines come together!

R H Clark

FNG
Since you are considering the heavier SHV,I will give you another option and call GA Precision and get on the pre order list for a close out Bushnell 4.5-18X44 LRHSi. They are going to be half price at $750. There is not a better deal on a quality dialing scope if the weight and magnification will work for you.

If you need something lighter,I suggest a used LRHS 3-12,or if even lighter a SWFA 3-9HDSS. The SWFA will be on black Friday soon and if the same as last year $450. You can also find a used SWFA 3-9 for that price either in the sample list or on one of the forums or exchanges. I saw two for sale last week on another hunting talk forum.

I wouldn't hesitate on the Nightforce SHV either as long as capped turrets are what you want, but I feel that the LRHS may be better if you intend to do a lot of dialing. I would not trust any Leupold to do a lot of dialing.They do have good glass and light weight, and may work to dial in a limited capacity but the internals just aren't as robust and durable as a scope designed to dial. If they were designed to dial they would weigh the same as comparable dialing scopes because they would have durable internals just like the scopes designed to stand up to dialing long term.

I would be very surprised from what I have seen in adjustments on other Leupold scopes at the range if any Leupold held true in a good tracking test over 50 shots. Test yours and see by making a marked tracking test target at 100 yards and dialing the correct distance to shoot 100, 300,500, yards producing 3 groups on 3 targets with just one aiming point. Even if the Leupold holds up to 50 shots, will it hold up to 100,will it break or fail at 200. Whenever it fails,it will be much sooner than a scope like the Nightforce,SWFA,or LRHS,if we are talking in general and omitting any defective from the start scopes.

I am not saying a Leupold won't work,just that it isn't designed to work as long or take as much. The Swaro Z5 with BT that I use on my mid range light weight is the same way. My first choice for that rifle was a 3-9SWFA SS but it had a high ejection that put the spent cartridge back in the ejection port with just about every scope I tried unless it had a very small and compact windage cap. The Z5 works on it perfectly and is why I will use it. I also enjoy the light weight. I just have no illusions that it is as dependable for lots of back and forth dialing as the 3-9 SWFA would have been. I accept this and in the limited amount that I shoot longer range with that scope,I hope it serves me a long time.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info guys!

So based on what I'm hearing what is in my budget a Nightforce SHV would be a good choice and possibly a VX5? Do the upper level leupolds have the same issues for tracking. Thanks.

I've had zero tracking issues with my vx6 and vx5hd, or any of my other leupolds. That said, the zl2 turret has much more positive clicks than my vx6 (it's older non hd) capped. But, the shv clicks are the best of all three, just edging out my vx5hd. Side focus on both are equally useful and good, leupold has way better glass and edge to edge clarity. My shv 3-10 is only four ounces heavier than my vx5hd and like 1.5 inches shorter. The crosshairs on my shv are skinny, like .145 moa. I like it for target shooting. Vx5hd however is my preferred hunting optic primarily because of the glass, especially low light.

270quest

WKR
Zeiss V4 4-16x44....optical view rivals German scopes costing twice as much, solid turrets with capped windage, 22oz, made by LOW in Japan, tons of eye relief....at 1k full retail they are a great deal, at the $700 lime new demo pricing out there- they are unbeatable imo....

R H Clark

FNG
I've had zero tracking issues with my vx6 and vx5hd, or any of my other leupolds. That said, the zl2 turret has much more positive clicks than my vx6 (it's older non hd) capped. But, the shv clicks are the best of all three, just edging out my vx5hd. Side focus on both are equally useful and good, leupold has way better glass and edge to edge clarity. My shv 3-10 is only four ounces heavier than my vx5hd and like 1.5 inches shorter. The crosshairs on my shv are skinny, like .145 moa. I like it for target shooting. Vx5hd however is my preferred hunting optic primarily because of the glass, especially low light.

Do you shoot and dial your Leupolds a lot?