BC of Barnes 257 80gr TTSX w\o tip

TauPhi111

WKR
I figured I'd post this here since us long rangers probably know more about BC than the average Rokslider...

I have a Savage 99 in 250 Savage for which I load the 80 grain Barnes TTSX right at about 3100 FPS, however, to get them to stabilize, I need to remove the tip by pulling it out with a pair of pliers. It reduces the length just enough to get them stable. Usually this is of no concern because the rifle has essentially been a dedicated deer drive rifle where shots are usually well under 100 yards.

On the other hand, the rifle is quite accurate, has a great trigger for how old it is, and is super light and a dream to carry. If I ever go on a high altitude mule deer hunt or any hunt where I'm doing a ton of walking and climbing and not hunting huge animals I'd like to bring this rifle. On the other hand, where long shots are the norm, I'm concerned the reduced BC will really limit the effective range of the round. Does anyone have any idea, beyond mere speculation, what the BC of this bullet might be without the tip? The original BC is .316

I know I can shoot it out to 400 yards or so and then figure out the drop and adjust BC, but before I go getting a scope for it and changing out my red dot for optics, I'd like to know approximately what I'm working with.

Thanks!

Broz

WKR
The older TSX that was non tipped was a nightmare for me when they never expanded on game. The tip was added to initiate expansion to help with this problem. With that in mind and the thought of a tip removed, it could be worth some testing to insure these modified bullets will open properly with the slowed impact velocities that come with longer shots. My experience with these bullet has been they need all the impact velocity they can get for clean kills. YMMV Just a thought.

Jeff

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
I'd be sure to do that. The hollow point you get by removing the tip is pretty massive as far as small rifle bullets go, so I think it would work just fine, but I'm fascinated by terminal ballistics so I'll likely do some testing at extended range.

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
Sounds like Hammer bullets would work well for what you are doing. mtmuley

I have taken a look at them. I'll have to check the length again on the 80 grain TTSX with the tip removed, but I don't think the 81 grain Hammer is shorter. I do see they now have a 67 grain bullet designed for the slower twist barrels, but if I'm mule deer hunting in the west where I might get a longer shot at a big deer, I think I'd want at least 80 grains of bullet. I'll check and maybe give the 81 grainers a shot.

Broz

WKR
I think it would be worth your while to send three of these modified bullets to a 500 yards target and see how they group or if they tumble. Might save some time.

Jeff

Seems like a pretty poor choice for any mid to long range shots. With the tip the BC is already pretty terrible.

Think of it this way, pointing the meplat of a 130 jlk that is only 0.046" diameter to start with brings the g1 from roughly 0.60 to roughly 0.65. What you're doing is a much bigger change.