Athlon ares btr thoughts?

Just wondering if anyone has been using these? I am torn between this and the pst 2. Have looked through both but not at the same time. I am leaning towards the Athlon but just would like some real world experience good and bad. I have read a review or two that puts them slightly under the pst. The lower weight of the ares is also appealing. Maybe there is something else recommended? I am looking for a 50 mm objective, low to mid 20 magnification, and first focal plane. The shv seems to get a lot of love but to get more mag it is only in 56mm. Thanks in advance.

Have you read my review here on RS? I updated it recently with pics of the two reticles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
I have a review in the optic section. I’m currently testing a Nikon FX 1000. Unless something goes south with Nikon I’d rather have it. Tracking with both is spot on. The turrets are slightly better on the Nikon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good to know. I haven’t had the opportunity to run the FX 1000 yet but I’ve heard nothing but good things about it!!

I would say I prefer the Christmas tree reticles of both the Athlon and the Vortex over the Nikon but I’m also very used to using those style of reticles and some folks might be overwhelmed with them. I see that the Nikons advertised weight is 24.5 oz a full 3 oz lighter than even the Athlon! The Athlon is still shorter at 13.8” vs 15.2” for the Nikon and 16” for the Vortex. Nikons always had good glass so I’m sure it’s comparable.

Rfurman do you know where the Nikon scope glass is manufactured?

Last edited:
I have a review in the optic section. I’m currently testing a Nikon FX 1000. Unless something goes south with Nikon I’d rather have it. Tracking with both is spot on. The turrets are slightly better on the Nikon.

Did you ever try the Athlon Ares turrets after removing the o-ring under the turret? Completely removes the “mushy-ness” of the Ares. It’s not as positive as the Viper but it’s eons better than the way they come from the factory!

FURMAN

WKR
Good to know. I haven’t had the opportunity to run the FX 1000 yet but I’ve heard nothing but good things about it!!

I would say I prefer the Christmas tree reticles of both the Athlon and the Vortex over the Nikon but I’m also very used to using those style of reticles and some folks might be overwhelmed with them. I see that the Nikons advertised weight is 24.5 oz a full 3 oz lighter than even the Athlon! The Athlon is still shorter at 13.8” vs 15.2” for the Nikon and 16” for the Vortex. Nikons always had good glass so I’m sure it’s comparable.

Rfurman do you know where the Nikon scope glass is manufactured?

I do not. I have not started really looking at the glass yet.

FURMAN

WKR
Did you ever try the Athlon Ares turrets after removing the o-ring under the turret? Completely removes the “mushy-ness” of the Ares. It’s not as positive as the Viper but it’s eons better than the way they come from the factory!

I did remove the oring. I still thought the turrets were crazy mushy. The Nikons are better but not as good as the PST II.

xugz0212

FNG
i have the 2.5-15 ares btr on my hunting rifle. glass is clear and shoot on spot. in shot, i love it.

OP
S
I did read the reviews, which I liked. Just seeing if any problems have occurred from anyone. Thanks for the replies

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
I recently put a Athlon ares 4.5x27 on my 260. Bought it used from a guy on snipers hide. I used it during load development and noticed it had a lot of Ca. Decided it was too annoying to put up with so I called Athlon and told them what was going on. The guy I talked to told me to send it to them so they could take a look at it. A week later I had a new scope back with the updated turrets! The image on this one is miles better than the one I sent in. Overall I am really happy with it as it tracks good and returns to zero. Glass is plenty usable. I would say it is much better than any bushnell I have owned but not as good as the nightforce NXS I had. The turrets are definitely not as tactile as the nightforce, but also plenty good enough for me. I did try taking out the o ring, and it did make the clicks a bit more crisp, but I didn't like how easy it was to turn the turret so I reinstalled the o ring. For the money I think this is a great scope and a very good value. The guys at Athlon seem to listen to feedback from their customers and their customer service and warranty are top notch in my experience/opinion.

R H Clark

FNG
If you can use 18X max, the Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18 that GAP is selling for half price at $750,would be in my opinion a better scope. I haven't checked lately but last I checked they were selling the last of the LRHS scopes and allowing a deposit for when the scopes arrived.

OP
S
I would like the lrhs, but I would like the extra magnification and 50 mm objective. I was finally able to look at the ares and pst g2 side by side and to me and a friend it was the pst hands down. I am no pro at this at all but it looked brighter, more crisp, bigger field of view, better turrets. The weight is really the only thing I didn’t like more. Will see what happens, maybe I will find something different while I wait for it to arrive.

I would like the lrhs, but I would like the extra magnification and 50 mm objective. I was finally able to look at the ares and pst g2 side by side and to me and a friend it was the pst hands down. I am no pro at this at all but it looked brighter, more crisp, bigger field of view, better turrets. The weight is really the only thing I didn’t like more. Will see what happens, maybe I will find something different while I wait for it to arrive.

You will be happy with the PST. It’s a great scope! Yea it’s heavier and longer than the BTR. You’ll find that the eye relief is pretty tight and the illuminated reticle is less than desirable but it’s still a great piece of glass.

The Bushnell is a great scope as well but it’s got a similar to the PST, tight eye box and the glass IMO is not as good as the BTR.

Last edited:

R H Clark

FNG

No matter what you choose, I wouldn't let a few ounces bother me in a scope of that class anyway.