Muzzle breaks- muzzle flip- hunting- Thoughts?

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
Others with more experience can pipe up but my intention is to have a pair of those orange behind the neck banded ear plugs I can wear around my neck to quickly plug up. Amazon.com: Howard Leight by Honeywell Quiet Band Shooting Earplugs, 1-Pair (R-01538): Home Improvement

For walking shotgun hunting I think I'll try sonic defenders ep3 SureFire Black EP3-Large EarPro Sonic Defenders Hearing Protection Earpieces 1 Pair Large EP3-BK-LPR - - Amazon.com

I need to add a cheek riser to my rifle due to the optic height so I'll likely put on a stock pack and keep a spare set of foam plugs in there also.

If I'm not wearing my hearing aids then I wear earplugs. I've got a pair of custom fit earplugs and they work really well and they are comfortable. I've also got generic industrial style ear plugs that look like two round foam balls on either end of a string, they also fit well and I can wear them all day long without discomfort.

I'm thinking about trying the newer Walker Game earbuds
Google Express

I have been contemplating adding a brake to a couple of my rifles. That being said what are you guys using in the field for fast deploying ear pro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry multiple pairs of the small green foam ear plugs. Always have a set in my pocket and several sets in my pack in case I lose a pair!!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have been contemplating adding a brake to a couple of my rifles. That being said what are you guys using in the field for fast deploying ear pro?

Surefire Sonic Defenders with the plug undone are worn at all times. Peltor/MSA/electronic ear pro is either worm over them if it’s cold or around my neck or chest strap and put on for the final stalk.

I do do not shoot any gun without ear pro.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of great info here. How bad is the noise difference?

From behind the rifle, I don't think my braked 338 is any louder then my unbraked 30-06. Bystanders probably notice it more.
I do notice a difference when shooting my 223 with a brake. I need to double up on hearing protection for that one.

brocksw

WKR
Surefire Sonic Defenders with the plug undone are worn at all times. Peltor/MSA/electronic ear pro is either worm over them if it’s cold or around my neck or chest strap and put on for the final stalk.

I do do not shoot any gun without ear pro.
Which surefires do you recommend? Been looking at trying some but they have so many different kinds.. Not sure what's marketing and what's legit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

After being a staunch opponent to brakes for so long I finally got a braked rifle thinking I’ll only use it at the range. What a difference. I can shoot whatever all day long. I can spot my shots. The list goes on.

Yes, I absolutely wouldn’t use one without earpro. But thinking about it, I always use earpro hunting. I have some hearing damage from being in bands when I was younger, so I’m trying to keep it from getting worse. About the only thing I don’t wear earpro with these days is shotguns and 22/17... and that’s in hunting situations. At the range I’m still wearing.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Which surefires do you recommend? Been looking at trying some but they have so many different kinds.. Not sure what's marketing and what's legit.

EP3 or EP 4 depending. Surefire has a sizing guide on their website.

brocksw

WKR
I used the ep4 and ep7 this last weekend at the range. I was pretty pleased with how they worked, but I didn't notice much difference between having the plugs in and plugs out. Talked with the gentleman next to me at the range with the plugs out and still couldn't hear him very well. Shot with the plugs out vs in and noticed a slight difference. Very comfortable though.
EP3 or EP 4 depending. Surefire has a sizing guide on their website.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
The following is a list of very effective brakes:
Area 419 -Hellfire
American Precision Arms- Little Bastard
Master Piece Arms-Premium Muzzle Brake

R

I have the BOSS on my a-bolt 300 WSM. Wouldn't shoot it if I didn't have it on there.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I used the ep4 and ep7 this last weekend at the range. I was pretty pleased with how they worked, but I didn't notice much difference between having the plugs in and plugs out. Talked with the gentleman next to me at the range with the plugs out and still couldn't hear him very well. Shot with the plugs out vs in and noticed a slight difference. Very comfortable though.

Its not a big difference- flange in or out, but just enough.

doc88

FNG
any brake you would recommend for a 300 win mag?

The Vais breaks are very effective and lightweight. I even forgot ear protection one time in the stand and shot anyway. Really not that bad. However, if shooting prone they will kick up debris because they have the holes 360 degrees. Slab breaks are better for prone as they expel the gasses sideways however much louder as well. I have both kinds on 300 win mags and both are effective.

WKR
I went to a Thunderbeast UL7 and find that it brakes a rifle quite well. Less noise, less recoil. Winning.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
I have breaks on my .338 WM, 7mm RM, .300 WM, and .270 WM. They all shoot better with the break, especially the .338 and it makes it enjoyable to shoot consistently. In a hunting situation I use Howard Leight wrap around ear pro that hugs your neck, just pull them up to your ears and your good to go.