7 mag and Barnes

brocksw

WKR
Just out of curiosity, anyone shooting Barnes Ttsx (150) or lrx(145) out of a 7 mag?

Just looking at some calculaters and it looks like bullet expansion is good to around the 6 or 7 hundred mark before I fall below that 2k fps threshold. I'm assuming around 3200 fps for the 145 lrx out of a 24" tube.

Anyone have some ballistics and performance info they can share directly applicable to this?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tod osier

WKR
Just out of curiosity, anyone shooting Barnes Ttsx (150) or lrx(145) out of a 7 mag?

Just looking at some calculaters and it looks like bullet expansion is good to around the 6 or 7 hundred mark before I fall below that 2k fps threshold. I'm assuming around 3200 fps for the 145 lrx out of a 24" tube.

Anyone have some ballistics and performance info they can share directly applicable to this?

I think some of the LRX are designed to open up down to 1600. I know the .277 129 grain is supposed to open up at 1700. Email them, for the info, I wish it was on the website.

Look into the Hammer bullets they may get you a little further and I would trust them to open more on the bottom end of velocity window

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run the 145lrx in my 280AI at 3130 from a 24" tube, its one the hot end but the is a solid velocity node there for me. 3200 is likely possible in your 7mag. At my altitude yes that is still 2100+fps and 1500ft-lb+ at 600ish.

My personal rule of thumb is I want impact velocity over 2100fps regardless of the 1600fps they publish. The min expansion "opening" photos I've seen at the low velocities isn't to my liking.

I always leave this caveat on my posts about barnes: I do not shoot rear lungs with them, I crowd the heart or high shoulder. With that in mind animals drop on the spot or very close.

FYI: I am working with the hammer bullets hunters in a 300wsm right now and they seem pretty nice. They obviously cost more though.

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
How about the 155 cutting edge MTH or 152 maximus?

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't have experience with cutting edge. Just barnes and now starting into the hammers (the 181s in a 300wsm). The parabolic cut on the hammers is interesting, you can feel less resistance seating those bullets in brass which is just an observation as I'm not a ballistician. :p I can say I had those out for load work once so far and across a 3gr powder spread (.5gr increments) cleaning every 3rd shot (barrel break in) I had 6 out of 7 inside 1" at 200yd. I am looking forward to more refined development at extended range to see how they do but preliminarily they were shooting quite well.

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
Those cutting edge (hammers seem to be the same concept) certainly look like they have more potential. Ultimately, if the they offered a bullet that created a good wound channel and would completely shed petals at 8 or 9 hundred yards that seems like it would be good enough for the girls I run with.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I mainly looked into the hammers, yes similar to cutting edge, and those shed pedals at 1800fps still. The hunters retain 70% weight on the shank if I recall right for the permanent would channel with the pedals doing some peripheral damage. If you want more initial trauma they have a dead blow they're rolling out (you can ask for them in any version of the current hammers) and those if I recall right retain like 30-40% on the shank and dump the rest on the pedals which creates more dramatic initial trauma but you don't get as much retained energy/penetration with the shank. I opted for the hunters.

Whatever route you go make sure the run the various weight options vs potential velocity and BC to see where the balance point in your gun is to retain good velocity on impact.

I'm shooting the 145 LRX out of a 7RUM at 3400~ Less than 5moa drop at 500-- my goal was a laser beam and I got it. Killed 4 deer with it last year 125 to 411 yards all DRT. Total pass through on all with nice exit holes but meat damage wasn't excessive which is why I like the mono bullets.

Going to load some 127s up in my 6.5x284 and see what they will do.

mtmuley

WKR
Steve at Hammer just got back from Africa. There were several hunters with a variety of cartridges used. All with Hammer bullets. There's a write up at their forum. I'm loading the 199 in a RUM. I've loaded Hammers in .243, .270 and .30-06 also. I've been slow to change after 16 years of killing stuff with Accubonds, but Steve and I have been buds since we were kids. And the performance is hard to argue with. mtmuley

Steve at Hammer just got back from Africa. There were several hunters with a variety of cartridges used. All with Hammer bullets. There's a write up at their forum. I'm loading the 199 in a RUM. I've loaded Hammers in .243, .270 and .30-06 also. I've been slow to change after 16 years of killing stuff with Accubonds, but Steve and I have been buds since we were kids. And the performance is hard to argue with. mtmuley

What velocity are you getting out of the 199s in the 7RUM? How is the length for feeding from a magazine?

mtmuley

WKR
I am going to load the 199 Hammer Hunter in .300 RUM. Steve recommends a 9.25 twist, but we looked at numbers and figure the 199 will stabilize in my 10. Looking to get 3200 plus. Also have a box of 181's that should go 3400 plus. Best accuracy wins. They have a 7mm at 177 grains, 1-8 recommended twist. mtmuley

tom338

FNG
I shoot a 150 TTSX out of my 7mm rem mag at 2950 ft/sec.at 1400 ft sea level. Shot my bull last year at 525 yards, about 8,000 ft altitude. Worked perfect. No recovery of the bullet but when skinning I looked closely at the exit hole and could see the bullet expanded just like I expected.