Range intervals for true drop / building AB custom profile with tall target.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Hey gang,

I am just using a stock G7 profile on my Sig 2400 abs but I want to do some tall target / true drop tests to get everything bang on for the 420" elk I am going to shoot this September.

My Kilo allows for 2 ranges / drops to be input to modify the custom G7 profile, I am wondering what guys are doing for this? I was thinking I would shoot/measure a group at 300 and 500 ? does it matter at all? do a set of ranges give me a more accurate profile or will any drop data work?

thanks,

Mike.

Personally I would try to test it further than 500. After 600 yards most factors start showing themselves more. I would test to 1000 if you have a spot.

Personally I would try to test it further than 500. After 600 yards most factors start showing themselves more. I would test to 1000 if you have a spot.

Agreed. A gun will do pretty much the same thing out to 600 regardless of (factory) loads given the same zero. Go to 1000 to dial in the G7 profile for your load. It will match the true curve of your bullet better. If there are discrepancies usually it's shooter error with fundamentals or switching positions...which is fundamentals.

codym

WKR
Hey gang,

I am just using a stock G7 profile on my Sig 2400 abs but I want to do some tall target / true drop tests to get everything bang on for the 420" elk I am going to shoot this September.

My Kilo allows for 2 ranges / drops to be input to modify the custom G7 profile, I am wondering what guys are doing for this? I was thinking I would shoot/measure a group at 300 and 500 ? does it matter at all? do a set of ranges give me a more accurate profile or will any drop data work?

thanks,

Mike.

No help with your question but where do you get to hunt bulls in September with a rifle?

codym

WKR
Thats awesome, should be a really fun hunt! Are they rutting during that time? Way down here they are cranking arounf the 20th usually.

OP
M

micus

Lil-Rokslider
yah it times out about the same here as well. First significant dip in temp late mid-late sept usually kicks it off. I haven't been successful on a bull yet in my few years hunting, hopefully that changes this year!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Hey gang,

thanks,

Mike.

For truing you want ant to be as close to transonic as possible. 300 and 500 yards isn’t going to cut it. Without knowing your particular bullet/velocity/conditions- shoot and true at the range as close to 1,350fps impact velocity without going under that.

As well to true correctly you have to know that scope scope works exactly throughout its range, and have a real zero; ie 3 round groups aren’t good enough.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed. A gun will do pretty much the same thing out to 600 regardless of (factory) loads given the same zero. Go to 1000 to dial in the G7 profile for your load. It will match the true curve of your bullet better. If there are discrepancies usually it's shooter error with fundamentals or switching positions...which is fundamentals.

I've seen more than a few even with a G7 input need tuning at 1k.
Sometimes we get lucky.

R

bradb

WKR
I was thinking one distance for close(1000 :) ) and one for transonic

OP
M

micus

Lil-Rokslider
For truing you want ant to be as close to transonic as possible. 300 and 500 yards isn’t going to cut it. Without knowing your particular bullet/velocity/conditions- shoot and true at the range as close to 1,350fps impact velocity without going under that.

As well to true correctly you have to know that scope scope works exactly throughout its range, and have a real zero; ie 3 round groups aren’t good enough.

Hey there, thanks for that- makes sense. I am shooting a 208 ELDM @ 2500. With the advertised BC and my starting velocity it looks like id have to stretch it to 11-1200 yds? haha ill have wait for a windless day....

just working through this in my head, im going to set up a sheet of plywood @ 1200 say. Then I will input the come-up the sig gives me and shoot say 10 rds for a group at the piece of plywood w a target in the center. Then make adjustments off of that?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Hey there, thanks for that- makes sense. I am shooting a 208 ELDM @ 2500. With the advertised BC and my starting velocity it looks like id have to stretch it to 11-1200 yds? haha ill have wait for a windless day....

just working through this in my head, im going to set up a sheet of plywood @ 1200 say. Then I will input the come-up the sig gives me and shoot say 10 rds for a group at the piece of plywood w a target in the center. Then make adjustments off of that?

That will work, but the easiest way is to get a piece of steel, paint it white, then paint a black strip across the middle left to right just large enough to see. Then shoot at your 1,350fps range or above, and adjust until half of your rounds are above the line and half below. Then input that to true.

What scope cope are you using?

OP
M

micus

Lil-Rokslider
That will work, but the easiest way is to get a piece of steel, paint it white, then paint a black strip across the middle left to right just large enough to see. Then shoot at your 1,350fps range or above, and adjust until half of your rounds are above the line and half below. Then input that to true.

What scope cope are you using?

Ohh, yah that makes sense, just line up the horizontal axis. I have a NF NXS 3.5-15 x50 with the MOAR ret.

J8tnub

FNG
If you have a good muzzle velocity you shouldn’t need to calibrate your profile. If you really do want to do a calibration you need to shoot the distances the app gives you.

What is off that you want to calibrate for?

OP
M

micus

Lil-Rokslider
If you have a good muzzle velocity you shouldn’t need to calibrate your profile. If you really do want to do a calibration you need to shoot the distances the app gives you.

What is off that you want to calibrate for?

Hey man, yah I hear yah. Lots of guys have very positive things to say about the Applied Ballistics profiles as well. The Sig comes with the entire AB library of profiles so you get hundreds of bullets. My thing is that I'm not willing to roll the dice if the big one walks out at respectable range this sept. I lost a bear this year and it was a rough one.

I enjoy shooting anyway so if there is a way I can go out and make sure everything is 100% trued its just that much more confidence when its time to drop the hammer for real.