New 300 win mag suggestions

So right now I have a sako a7 roughtech 300 win mag and I cannot seem to get better than about 1.75 moa at 100 yards with multiple types of factory ammo. That’s all I have access at this point, not reloading. I am wondering what recommendations are for a different rifle in 300 win. So far I am thinking about the Christensen Mesa, browning hells canyon lr, and not sure what else. It’s main purpose is hunting so weight is a concern, probably not more than 8lbs. But would also like something that I can shoot out to some distance. Not wanting to spend over probably $1300. Thanks

FURMAN

WKR
If you are stuck with factory ammo I would recommend a Christensen Arms shooting Berger 215 factory ammo(used to be ABM).

rlmmarine

WKR
I use a tikka t3x superlight with nosler trophy grade and it shoots better than I due. caution on the browning I owned a stainless stalker last year and the stock has the same rubberized grip as the hells canyon. the stock fell apart on me in 7 days of rain so I got rid of it. it shot really well so I would stay away from that stock. I talked with browning at the nra show and they said there had been a lot of problems with that coating on the stock. pm me your phone and ill send you pictures they are on my phone. so far I have zero complaints on the t3x superlight from cabelas. camo stock stainless fluted barrel and the smoothest action ive ever owned.

Totoro

WKR
If you need lighter weight, Mesa.

If weight isnt a huge factor, then used Ridgeline.

I personally cant shoot a light rifle worth squat, so a Ridgeline is my choice.

YMMV

robie

WKR
If you need lighter weight, Mesa.

If weight isnt a huge factor, then used Ridgeline.

I personally cant shoot a light rifle worth squat, so a Ridgeline is my choice.

YMMV

I think you have that backwards.

Mesa - 7.3lbs
Ridgeline - 6.8lbs

robie

WKR
I just went through the process and got a Ridgeline. In your price range you could grab a mesa and get the same results as I did. Call 1shot and tell them you are a rokslide member and see what their price is.

LINK TO MY THREAD

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
I might be wrong but doesn't Sako have an MOA guarantee? Might be able to send it back for one that shoots.

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
I'd scrap everything but the trigger and action. Then take it to a smith that knows Sakos to re-barrel it, do some work to the trigger, and bed a good stock to it. You might be a tad over your 1300 bucks, but you'd have a rifle better than anything you can buy new for $1300 bucks.

OP
S
Though I have thought of that idea, I need to sell the gun to fund a new one. And using an action off of a $1300 gun isn’t in the cards.

OP
S
Also for those who have sent a gun back to the factory, what is the process? I have never done it. Does it take long?

Sako has a 5 shot sub MOA guarantee. I have the same rifle in the long range version that I don't think has ever printed a 5 shot group that large, id send the rifle back.

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
You can always sell your rifle and watch LongRangeHuntingForums.com for a custom rifle for sale. They have dozens of new rifles posted every day. You can also get smoking deals on them, without the wait of dealing with a gunsmith. A lot of guys selling good rifles for good prices there.

Guns For Sale | Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe I’m just a wimp but I can’t get good groups with my 300 Win either. If I didn’t hunt around so many big brown furry animals I would never shoot it again.

WKR
Most folks can do substantially better shooting a smaller caliber/cartridge. Kind of nice shooting 7mm/6.5mm stuff and things keep dying. Who wants to pump a bunch of rounds through a 7# 300 magnum? At least this old guy doesn't.

OP
S
I am starting to agree. I am ordering a brake to try to see if it helps tighten things up

1. Have you had a buddy or two see if they can hold a group using a couple different loads? Just curious.
2. Have you tried shooting it dirty. I and 2 buddies all have Sakos and have come to the conclusion they like a fouled barrel.

If it still won’t hold an MOA send it back.

I personally sent a finnlight 75 in 300 win mag back and they sent me a shiny new one 3 weeks later.

PM me and I’ll email you a copy of the letter I sent them. Honey over vinegar is the right approach.

OP
S
I am going to have a few other people shoot it and maybe have someone try to work up a load. I know I am not the best shooter on the planet but I believe I am capable of better than 2 moa.

OP
S
Also I went again today and really worked on my form and rest and had about the same results, maybe just alittle better. I took a picture of the target but can’t figure out how to post it.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So right now I have a sako a7 roughtech 300 win mag and I cannot seem to get better than about 1.75 moa at 100 yards with multiple types of factory ammo. That’s all I have access at this point, not reloading. I am wondering what recommendations are for a different rifle in 300 win. So far I am thinking about the Christensen Mesa, browning hells canyon lr, and not sure what else. It’s main purpose is hunting so weight is a concern, probably not more than 8lbs. But would also like something that I can shoot out to some distance. Not wanting to spend over probably $1300. Thanks

What is the scope and mounting system?