Rifle build

Ogrenerd

Lil-Rokslider
Hi All,

Looking for some advice, info, etc.
I have a savage in 7mm rem mag. I'm slightly familiar with gunwerks guns and their systems. I'd like to be able to mimic as close as possible that system on a savage build. I know that different guns shoot different. I also know that a savage is not a gunwerks gun. But being honest, I don't think i could ever afford a gunwerks. I would just like to get as close as I can. I'm wondering where some of their parts come from. Who makes the barrel for instance? Any stock bedding info? There are a lot of variables I know. I'm just trying to build a gun that is capable of shooting 1000 yards and can be carried in the mountains without my arm or shoulder falling off. Any info appreciated.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
Gunwerks is unique as they build everything in house. (Action, stock, barrel)... you can buy parts through them, but you might run into some difficulties trying to fit everything to a savage action... honestly, if you’re trying to do a budget lightweight build, there are plenty of other options for that savage action that will perform the way you want. If you want light, cheap and easy, you might consider picking up a tikka. If you want endless options, I would build off a rem 700 action.

... anyway if I had the money to spend on anything gunwerks it would be on their new stock. (I don’t know how tough it’d be to fit that savage to it though.) But that is the one piece that is truly unique and can’t be replicated currently.

ckleeves

WKR
I wouldn’t be that concerned about trying to replicate a Gunwerks rifle. Pretty much any rifle will shoot if built properly with quality components.

Lots of good barrel manufactures out there. Pick one that you like and go for it. Same with stocks, triggers etc.

Gunwerks builds great rifles, but there are lots of other Smith’s out there building equally as great rifles with a variety of different components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The single biggest advantage that you currently have is the ability to use pre-fit barrels for your savage rifle. This opens up a ton of doors for you, since it saves ~300 bucks off a barrel job compared to a 700, T3, whatever else. Proof Research is offering pre-fit savage barrels, so you could get 1/3 of the way to a gunwerks copy by using one of those. If your savage already has an accutrigger there's not a ton of room for improvement (IMO), but I'm sure you could find something. Stocks are relatively easy to find, stocky's will give you a good idea of the breadth of options available for your savage.

After the barrel, IMO 1/3 of gunwerks system is that they use scopes that are known to be 100% reliable (Nightforce), which eliminates the single biggest weakness on all guns.

The last third of the gunwerks system is making "perfect" ammunition, which you can do for yourself by handloading. Glen Zediker has written several lengthy books on the topic, I will not attempt to distill that information into this post. Bottom line is the entry level reloading tools won't get you there, but Redding and Forster higher end stuff will.

Good luck with your build.

kbaerg

Lil-Rokslider
My first question is how does your current system shoot? You have an easy platform to work from as far as doing your own work. My start into the long range hunting started with a Savage 110 in 300WM that I did all the work myself. I can say that while it did not resemble any other companies, it shot just as good as some of the top name customs out there. The short answer to what you want is get a barrel adjust the trigger,bed the Recoil lug, and a quality repeatable optic. Next is practice, practice, practice, and more practice. Attached is a pic of my first build

Attachments

• attachment[1].jpg
    attachment[1].jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 71
OP
O

Ogrenerd

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input.
This is great. I am familiar with savage prefit barrels and all the different options that way. What I'm looking for are some top quality barrel manufacturers, stocks and maybe even trigger. The current setup is a factory model 111. I just came by it and am looking into different options. This will actually be my 2nd savage build. I have already built one that is really just for sitting at a bench
Its about 15 pounds with a 30" bull barrel. So not really something I want to be carrying in the woods.

OP
O

Ogrenerd

Lil-Rokslider
Or in the mountains for miles. Info like proof research as a barrel manufacturer or stockys is great. That's the kind of info I'm looking for.
Kbaerg, what load what kind of groups what bullet? I see this being a longer term project so just trying to soak up all the info I can.
Thanks again for your responses

ckleeves

WKR
tim.gruber;. After the barrel said:
100% agree. I would take budget build with a top notch optic over any high end custom with a budget scope any day of the week. That’s one thing I wouldn’t skimp on. I’m always surprised at the amount of guys that build a absolutely top shelf rifle and top it off with a scope that isn’t trustworthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Recipe for success.

Savage action
Savage PTG Bolt Head
Rifle Basix SAV-2 Trigger
X-Caliber Barrel (Cryo Treated)
Stock of your choice professionally bedded

Top it off with good base, rings, and quality scope.

At a fraction of the cost, you can have a rifle that shoots sub .5 moa. I've done it twice, and couldn't be happier. I just finished a 7mm and honestly can't believe how well it shoots for the amount of money I have in it. They might not be the purdiest rifle around, but a savage will flat out shoot.

Here's my 7 SAUM, and 7MM REM MAG Savage Rifles. Both pretty identical as far as the builds went. This is a group from the savage breaking it in a couple weeks ago. My first shot hit the bottom of the target (bore sighted at 100 yards). The second shot is the shot next to the group, and the actual group consists of 12 shots (14 shots total). Keep in mind too, that I started at 65 grains of H1000 and went up .2 grains on each shot, ending at 67.6 grains (I was attempting to do a Scott Satterlee load development), which is why the group has so much vertical stringing.

View attachment 73870View attachment 73871

Gunwerks does not make their own barrels

Off memory they source from bartlein and criterion

Their stocks come as a blank from McMillan.

If I was you on this mission I'd buy a stainless trued 700 action from northland... screw on a remage profit barrel and source a stock you like and bed the rifle.

Run some factory eld-x ammo and go hunt.

Gunwerks genius is marketing a complete system to kooks.

kbaerg

Lil-Rokslider
My load was 75.5 gr. of H1000, 215m primer and the 215 Berger. When I did my part this rifle would shoot 1/4 minute. I have stretched it out to 1500 yards and half minute groups also. This was a budget build with only a McGowan Barrel, bedded recoil lug and trigger adjusted down to 2.5 lbs.