Tough Scope options. SHV? ATACR? LRHS? Veracity?

weaver

WKR
Have you confirmed that the mounting system isn't the problem? In my experience it seems to be the most common fault when a scope is out of whack.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a reason you arent into the NXS? I have a 3.5-15 that's treated me well thus far. Its kindof a mid-range between SHV and the ATACR. Plus they are in lots of movies so you get MADD BRO POINTS.

2five7

WKR
FYI the Veracity in 4-20 and 5-25 is available with multi turn turrets as well as the single turn MADS style knobs. Both systems can be run capped or uncapped. Personally on a hunting rifle I really like the 3-15 Veracity, available for under $600 new, not crazy heavy and the glass is very good at 15x. The single turn turret gets you 23 MOA, which gets most magnum calibers out past 1000 yards. I own 3 and tracking has been very good on all of them.

FYI the Veracity in 4-20 and 5-25 is available with multi turn turrets as well as the single turn MADS style knobs. Both systems can be run capped or uncapped. Personally on a hunting rifle I really like the 3-15 Veracity, available for under $600 new, not crazy heavy and the glass is very good at 15x. The single turn turret gets you 23 MOA, which gets most magnum calibers out past 1000 yards. I own 3 and tracking has been very good on all of them.

That’s good to know!

Is there a specific sku number or model designation to differentiate between single turn MADS style and not? Be good to know for future customers!

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
Is there a reason you arent into the NXS? I have a 3.5-15 that's treated me well thus far. Its kindof a mid-range between SHV and the ATACR. Plus they are in lots of movies so you get MADD BRO POINTS.

This is an excellent point!

OP
Cactus kid

It’s no longer offered in FFP and I would prefer the windage capped.

OP
Cactus kid

Any comment on the durability/ holds zero when dropped?

robie

WKR
Is this new? Wasn't available last time I checked. I've got the 5-25 and single turn turret. I don't shoot far enough to worry about it yet.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

2five7

WKR
That’s good to know!

Is there a specific sku number or model designation to differentiate between single turn MADS style and not? Be good to know for future customers!

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the 4-20, #200640 is the tall turrets, #200641 is the MADS single turn. Similarly in the 5-25 #200650 is the tall turrets, #200651 is the MADS style.

2five7

WKR
Is this new? Wasn't available last time I checked. I've got the 5-25 and single turn turret. I don't shoot far enough to worry about it yet.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Not new, they have always been available. The MADS style turret is the new style, and most retailers will show that one on a search. Sportoptics.com, opticsplanet.com, and ebay all have the tall turret style, others probably do also.

robie

WKR
Not new, they have always been available. The MADS style turret is the new style, and most retailers will show that one on a search. Sportoptics.com, opticsplanet.com, and ebay all have the tall turret style, others probably do also.

OK so the zero stop (MADS) is only 1 revolution but the older tall turret has no zero stop and can go multiple revolutions. Is that was you are saying?

2five7

WKR
OK so the zero stop (MADS) is only 1 revolution but the older tall turret has no zero stop and can go multiple revolutions. Is that was you are saying?

Sorta, the older style tall turrets do have a zero stop, but can go multiple revolutions. They are 15 MOA per turn.

You're going to be hard pressed to find a tougher scope than a NF. On a hunt in Wyoming last year in the midst of a snow squall with the trails all muddy and mucked up, a horse fell and rolled on my rifle not once, but twice! Shortly after, the rifle/scope was used to smoke a nice muley at 485 yards.. the NXS is a tough scope!

Laqua3030

FNG
You may want to add US Optics to your list. I have a B-17 & I can verify that the glass is great and it tracks. I have yet to rough it up. Hopefully I never will. US Optics has a pretty solid rep for building tough scopes. My research led me to believe that there is a correlation between amount spent and reliability. I'm sure there are exceptions but if you have the budget..... buy once, cry once.

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
What were the symptoms leading up to and during said bed sh!tting?

Thanks

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but figured I'd update you guys about the SHV. My buddy just received phone call from Nightforce on his SHV. They said it PASSED all of their tests, and that there was nothing wrong with the scope. They did not take the scope apart and inspect the inside of the scope. They are refusing to do anything further with the scope.

Now a little on what we did before we sent it in. We took this scope out and put it on 2 different rifles that are known shooters before we sent it in to verify it wasn't a rifle or shooter issue. The first rifle was a Christensen Arms rifle chambered in 26 Nosler, with the scope rail machined into the action. The rings were Nightforce rings. We could not get the rifle to group for more than 2 shots, then it would start to string off in a 45 degree angle down and left. After putting it on another known shooter rifle, it shot the exact same. We could almost get it to zero, then it would string off down and left. After getting this response from Nightforce, he is going to sell the scope and look else where. Pretty disappointing.

This is a group I shot at 500 yards with my own rifle on the same day we tested his rifle. I know I can shoot.

Attachments

• Resized_20180713_122032_1827.jpg
    Resized_20180713_122032_1827.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 96

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man, that sucks. I can't believe that NF would not stand behind it. I don't know you or your buddy but you seem like decent dudes......I would hope that if he decides to sell it, he would have some disclaimer on the history behind the scope. I know it's a buyer beware mentality out there but hopefully there still are some decent people among us......I just don't see very many.
Just my 2 cents.

Randy

desertcj

WKR
Man, that sucks. I can't believe that NF would not stand behind it. I don't know you or your buddy but you seem like decent dudes......I would hope that if he decides to sell it, he would have some disclaimer on the history behind the scope. I know it's a buyer beware mentality out there but hopefully there still are some decent people among us......I just don't see very many.
Just my 2 cents.

Randy

Right? That is a major bummer but pulling an Obama and kicking the can down the road to the next guy is a major tool move...

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for opinions on rugged and reliable scope options. It seems almost all reviews on scopes place optical clarity at the top of the list of priorities and I think it should be one of the last things that should be considered.

I am in the market for a new scope where the ability to hold a zero, even if it is has taken a tumble down a mountain or thrown from a horse, that I know will be dead on if something happens on a hunt. As far as features, FFP, reliable tracking, and magnification over 12x. I don't care very much about weight.

The SHV f1 series would fit the bill quite well, but I know they are the budget like of Nightforce and do not know if they can survive the same torture test as the more expensive ATACR series.

ATACR look awesome, but they are quite spendy. If I don't have to spend this much on a 100% reliable scope then id rather not, but I am not opposed to it.

Ive heard good reviews on the bushnell elite series. I do not know how rugged they are in terms of ability to hold a zero.

Any thoughts on the burris veracity?

Any imput would be great, Ive searched on all these scopes and just cant dig up any first hand evidence how they perform should the worst happen.

I went through this same process. Went wtih the ATACR 4-16x50. Couldn't be happier. It even bumped my Swarovski X5 from my primary hunting rifle.