Tough Scope options. SHV? ATACR? LRHS? Veracity?

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Man, that sucks. I can't believe that NF would not stand behind it. I don't know you or your buddy but you seem like decent dudes......I would hope that if he decides to sell it, he would have some disclaimer on the history behind the scope. I know it's a buyer beware mentality out there but hopefully there still are some decent people among us......I just don't see very many.
Just my 2 cents.

Randy

Totally agree. It WILL be sold with full disclosure at a huge discount, if it's sold at all. In fact he's going to try and mount it on a 22 lr of his to see if it will hold zero with the low recoil, to avoid having to sell it. He doesn't want anyone to be stuck with the same crap he had to go through.

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Right? That is a major bummer but pulling an Obama and kicking the can down the road to the next guy is a major tool move...

Agreed. It won't be sold without full disclosure. He plans on filing a claim with BBB about it, and washing his hands of NF.

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Just to be clear too, I'm NOT bashing NF products. Just bashing their customer service. They obviously make great scopes. Their reputation speaks for itself. If they didn't make good products, they wouldn't be selling anything, and wouldn't have such a strong following. The SHV is their cheapest line of scopes, and some issues are to be expected. But NF not taking care of their customers is another story. And he isn't the first. There are plenty of stories out there. Just wanted to be clear on that.

270quest

WKR
The NF ATACR 4-16x42 on my 6.5 CTR is one hell of a scope....If I could afford it, I would own more of them! I lucked out and found mine on the auction site, like new, and snagged it for $800 less than retail.

desertcj

WKR
Agreed. It won't be sold without full disclosure. He plans on filing a claim with BBB about it, and washing his hands of NF.

Good to hear! That is a big screw up on NF part...stories like that start getting around and then nobody wants to own one. I know I wouldn't put down that kind of money with a CS story like that...

Any of the major mfg's can have issues, but after seeing this at a match last year I would not touch a Burris. The entire elevation turret fell off. This was at a prone match, not banging around at a prs style event. Guy told me next time i saw him that it happened again after they warranty repaired it. He has since sold the scope and went to a razor hd I believe.

I had a vortex viper gen 1 that lost the ability to track after a good bump. Warranty took care of it but would be a huge mess had either of these happened on an out of state hunt.

View attachment 77779

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but figured I'd update you guys about the SHV. My buddy just received phone call from Nightforce on his SHV. They said it PASSED all of their tests, and that there was nothing wrong with the scope. They did not take the scope apart and inspect the inside of the scope. They are refusing to do anything further with the scope.

Now a little on what we did before we sent it in. We took this scope out and put it on 2 different rifles that are known shooters before we sent it in to verify it wasn't a rifle or shooter issue. The first rifle was a Christensen Arms rifle chambered in 26 Nosler, with the scope rail machined into the action. The rings were Nightforce rings. We could not get the rifle to group for more than 2 shots, then it would start to string off in a 45 degree angle down and left. After putting it on another known shooter rifle, it shot the exact same. We could almost get it to zero, then it would string off down and left. After getting this response from Nightforce, he is going to sell the scope and look else where. Pretty disappointing.

This is a group I shot at 500 yards with my own rifle on the same day we tested his rifle. I know I can shoot.

I know how NF tests optics. It is highly unlikely that they missed something with it. What model is it?

Send it to me, if there is something wrong with it- I guarantee you it’ll come back fixed and whoever you talked with at NF will be corrected.

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
I know how NF tests optics. It is highly unlikely that they missed something with it. What model is it?

Send it to me, if there is something wrong with it- I guarantee you it’ll come back fixed and whoever you talked with at NF will be corrected.

Do you work for NF? I'd be happy to tell him send it back in. He's pretty disgusted with NF right now. It's an SHV model scope fyi. He just bought a Vortex Razor HD this last weekend, and the rifles back to shooting great.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Do you work for NF? I'd be happy to tell him send it back in. He's pretty disgusted with NF right now. It's an SHV model scope fyi. He just bought a Vortex Razor HD this last weekend, and the rifles back to shooting great.

I do do not work for Nightforce.

So this this is a “buddy’s” scope, you don’t know the model, and he bought a Vortex?

That's a straight up superb offer to help these guys out Formidilosus. I know you get to use and test more scopes than most people will ever see in their lifetime, so I'd jump at that offer if I were you PowellSixO.

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
I do do not work for Nightforce.

So this this is a “buddy’s” scope, you don’t know the model, and he bought a Vortex?

Read the posts I've made. Yes this is a buddies scope. I've said that it was an SHV many times already. It's the 5-20x56 MOA scope if that really makes a difference. And yes he bought a new Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 MRAD w/ EBR-2 Reticle. With the new scope on, the gun shoots just like it used to with the SHV on it. We had the SHV dialed into 1000 yards at one point, before it went bad on us. My buddy has been in contact with NF many many times, and they are taking no responsibility for this. If you can somehow work a miracle, I'd love to see you in action. But honestly I don't think it can be done.

A little more information if you don't want to re-read all of my posts.
His rifle has the scope rail machined into the action (rules out a loose scope rail).
We used NF rings.
We used a torque wrench to install the rings, according to NF torque values.
We've sent the scope back to NF.
We've been through the rifle, and proved it can shoot with 2 different scopes now.
We have proved the NF cannot hold zero on 3 rifles now.
NF says that the scope passes their test (whatever that is........... )
What do we do now? If you don't work for NF, how are you going to guarantee we get it fixed?

Broz

WKR
What have you got to loose? A scope you say is bad? Formidilosus is a respected member and has proven to be very knowledgeable in many areas. Why not let him get to the bottom of this? He obviously knows someone who can help. The experience you post is very much not the norm with NF. I feel they will want to make it right.

JMO

Jeff

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
What have you got to loose? A scope you say is bad? Formidilosus is a respected member and has proven to be very knowledgeable in many areas. Why not let him get to the bottom of this? He obviously knows someone who can help. The experience you post is very much not the norm with NF. I feel they will want to make it right.

JMO

Jeff

He doesn't anything to lose. He really just wants to know how he can guarantee it will get fixed, if he doesn't work for NF? Kinda sketchy sending a scope to a random person is all. I think it's an amazing offer, if it's real. But like I said, we have no faith at this point.

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Here's the scope. And the Vortex scope he bought.

Attachments

• 557116708.jpg
    557116708.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 557116720.jpg
    557116720.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 556253016.jpg
    556253016.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
He doesn't anything to lose. He really just wants to know how he can guarantee it will get fixed, if he doesn't work for NF? Kinda sketchy sending a scope to a random person is all. I think it's an amazing offer, if it's real. But like I said, we have no faith at this point.

Around here Form is NOT a “random” person...Spend ANY time here at all and you will realize you have a great opportunity before you to get this worked out.

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Around here Form is NOT a “random” person...Spend ANY time here at all and you will realize you have a great opportunity before you to get this worked out.

I did not know that. I'm pretty cautious with online forum stuff. I've been ripped off too many times. I hope he is as honest as you say he is, and I hope he keeps good on his offer.

mt100gr.

WKR
I'd send Formidilosus my scope in a heartbeat if he made me that offer. (For the record, my scope is fine)

If he says he can help, he likely can. He's a straight shooter.

elkguide

WKR
You're right to be cautious with online "friends" but Form has been around here a long time and has provided lots of great insight and has shared from his vast experience. I'd send any rifle/scope combo to him if I was having a problem with it if he gave me that offer.

howco

FNG
I don't log in much over here, but I can assure you that Form is legit. I agree that this is not nightforce's normal practice or quality that most of us have been accustomed to. However, I would send a scope to Form for evaluation days before a hunt if he was offering. The shv line scopes are the best value in their line up, definitely not junk or lacking performance. Scopes fail, but hopefully your friend is aware of the vortex issues too.

OP
Cactus kid

Form, do you know if the SHV uses the same internal springs as the ATACR or NXS models?