Applied Ballistics Bullets

jolemons

WKR
This is a question for the technical ballistics guys to answer. I shoot 150gr Nosler Partitions in my. 270 win., a bullet not offered in the Kilo 2400 bullet library. However, 140gr is offered. What I've done is select the 140gr and the AB custom curve, then changed the bullet weight and length in the main screen parameters. Is this a correct way to handle my situation or is there a better way to input a bullet not offered?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
jolemons

jolemons

WKR
This is a question for the technical ballistics guys to answer. I shoot 150gr Nosler Partitions in my. 270 win., a bullet not offered in the Kilo 2400 bullet library. However, 140gr is offered. What I've done is select the 140gr and the AB custom curve, then changed the bullet weight and length in the main screen parameters. Is this a correct way to handle my situation or is there a better way to input a bullet not offered?

See pic for clarity
202c7fa26a8ec533d345ab95397ffffb.jpg

bradb

WKR
If you do a calibration at distance it should adjust for it......but try it at different distance to be sure

Don't use the custom curve. These are specific to each bullet shape.

Enter the BC, weight, length, and muzzle velocity for the bullet. That should get you very close to the actual bullet characteristics.
Confirm your drops when shooting at range.

Broz

WKR
I don't like what you did. If the CDM is not available use the G 1 or G7 offered in the bullet library, or the advertised G1 or G7 then calibrate if need be. Your method may "work" but I fear there could be instances where it fails, like when the Kilo figures aerodynamic jump. The 150 gr Partition in a 270 is not a dedicated long range bullet anyway, so I don't feel using a CDM is 100% necessary for the intended distances it will be proficient.

Custom drag models are bullet specific models based on actual trajectory paths of the given bullet. Altering any input data just does not seem like a good deal.

Jeff

bradb

WKR
I did try it with some 135 BIB's in my 6.5 creed. I used there 135 berger classics, so a some what similar bullet. I was only .5 moa off at 1000 using that bullet. And pushing my abilities. But put in the the actual correction and things matched up at closer yardages. But again I was only off a little to begin with and don't have a spot to shoot farther right now