Meat Mixers

204guy

WKR
Looking to add a mixer to the processing operation. Currently using an LEM #12, so their mixers that attach to the grinder are appealing, but big $. How important is it that it's motorized? Tilting non tilting? What size? Lots of options from china on amazon, the LEM's appear to made there also. I would imagine an adapter could be fabbed to run almost any mixer from any motor. Thanks.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Gotta ask yourself how much meat you're trying to mix because a 20lb mixer doesn't mix up 5lb of meat well for instance. If you're not making large batches then I don't see much appeal in tilt or motorization. My group makes up 70-100lb of sausage at the end of the year, we just use the hand crank 20lb cabelas unit (purchased on sale) and it works reasonably well for our once a year usage.

OP
204guy

204guy

WKR
Would probably be trying to do 25-50lb batches. I like to try and do a bunch at once and be done with it.

I have 2 of the 20 lb hand mixers. They work fine. Not hard to hand mix the meat and if it is, you probably need to add more water anyway. I just pick the 20 lber up and dump its contents into a meat lug before stuffing.

muddydogs

WKR
I've been looking at mixers but have decided its just not worth the hassle. The bigger ones won't mix small batches, a 40 pound mixer will only mix around 30 pounds and if you run big batches like I do most times a big enough mixer is spendy. Then there is the hassle of storage and cleaning. I ended up getting a pair of insulated rubber food safe gloves and a big meat lug, I find that I have no problem mixing up 100 pound batches by hand plus it gives the old arms a good workout in the process.