Ideas for packing out whole deer?

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
In my whitetail states, you can pack out deer. But the kicker is you need to pack out everything but the guts. I've used the gutless method before out West, but unfortunately that wouldn't be enough. Generally, we drag them out, which is a two man job depending on the spot. I'm curious if some guys have some ideas on how I might be able to pack the deer on a frame.

One thought I had was to cut off the 4 legs and put them in game bags. Then the head-pelvis with ribs would be the 5th piece (5 piece max in one of the states). That's going to be the big, awkward piece. So my guess is two trips... one trip packing the legs back and one trip with the rest. Open to ideas.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
B

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
I suppose another option would be splitting it. Gut first, cut the hide around the circumference, cut the backstraps to the bone, twist to pop the spine. And pack out each half separately. Less work out in the field and would allow to break down fully at home.

rayporter

WKR
old fashioned way is to use an axe to split the entire deer down the center. you end up with 4 quarters [real quarters] and the head.

5 pieces.

I have used a dead sled and a kids plastic sled. they help a lot when you have to drag.

Felix40

WKR
Ive carried a few out whole. Best tool for the job is probably going to be a cargo panel like kifaru makes. I dont know where you are but there arent many deer in the south that are too big for this.

OP
B

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
Ive carried a few out whole. Best tool for the job is probably going to be a cargo panel like kifaru makes. I dont know where you are but there arent many deer in the south that are too big for this.
I have a pack frame with load shelf that should work similar to the cargo panel. Located in MN. Smaller doe could weigh 100lb dressed. 3+ year old buck could easily be 200+ dressed.

OP
B

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
old fashioned way is to use an axe to split the entire deer down the center. you end up with 4 quarters [real quarters] and the head.

5 pieces.

I have used a dead sled and a kids plastic sled. they help a lot when you have to drag.
Interesting. Would be cool to see a video of that axe work. We usually use sleds, game carts, etc for various terrain (really like the sleds for swamps and snow). Shooting one in the hills is always a tough drag though. Almost always a two man job. Which is where the pack becomes appealing when solo.

gbflyer

WKR
The axe works well if it’s good and sharp. Cordless saws all and a long wood blade is even better. I’ve done it on a moose.

rayporter

WKR
i used a chain saw to split a cow once. hanging that is.

if you can hang it , it is easy to split.

i have never carried one whole but have seen pics of old timers slitting a tendon on a leg and locking an opposing leg through that slit to make a sling of the deer to carry it over your neck or one shoulder.

if i tried that i would likely cut off the head at the base of the neck near the shoulders. mostly to keep the head or horns from swinging and to cut down on weight.

here is something i have considered.

cut off the neck and head at the shoulders
remove the fronts
now the rear legs will bundle very tightly to the back bone for a large but manageable piece that is not super heavy.

five pieces. 2 or 3 trips however.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never hunted anywhere you needed to leave the carass whole.. Do you have to bring all the bone out if the field also? Alaska has left on the bone requirements in some units but typically the spine is left behind. Cut all four quarters and straps off. Cut the ribs off or look into the rib roll technique if you can leave the bone behind. Cut and take the neck meat. OR the good buddy method....,..
Split spine in front of both rears throw them on your buddies pack and tell him to head for truck. Take your time breaking front down into quarters split ribs and neck meat. Hopefully your buddy has returned and will help carry final load to truck if not man up and head for truck. Pro tip always stay and process the front haha

OP
B

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
I've never hunted anywhere you needed to leave the carass whole.. Do you have to bring all the bone out if the field also? Alaska has left on the bone requirements in some units but typically the spine is left behind. Cut all four quarters and straps off. Cut the ribs off or look into the rib roll technique if you can leave the bone behind. Cut and take the neck meat. OR the good buddy method....,..
Split spine in front of both rears throw them on your buddies pack and tell him to head for truck. Take your time breaking front down into quarters split ribs and neck meat. Hopefully your buddy has returned and will help carry final load to truck if not man up and head for truck. Pro tip always stay and process the front haha

We don't have to leave it whole. We can cut it into pieces, but need to bring the bones out in addition to the meat and hide. Basically, anything other than a gut pile they consider "disposal" which isnt allowed on public due to either CWD or non-hunter sightings (honestly I think it's there to deter people from dumping their carcasses at the parking lot to rot which looks bad) but it certainly would be nice to leave the bones at the kill site. We have less room to roam around on top so they probably also fear that the public will just get littered with bones after several years. The way I look at it, there are deer dying out there anyways do to natural causes or the ones that are hit but not found. The buddy system is great. Make the other guys do most of the work lol!

Braaap

WKR
I had a relatively short hike out last season and put my entire buck, after gutting him, on my Kelty cache hauler. I just sat him upright on the shelf and lashed him into it with p-cord. It looked kinda ridiculous and worked but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. I think I had around 120-130lbs on the pack and the weight wasn't close to being balanced in any way. Good luck!

Sounds ridiculous lol
But if I had to I'd probably just it, cut in half, front to back and bed the legs a electrical tape them so they wouldn't flop and beef cake it.