Leaving sex identification on carcass

I always just leave a skinned out testicle on a piece of the hindquarter and I cut it off as soon as I get home and start putting my meat in the cooler. Never had an issue doing this and its not that hard

Felix40

WKR
CO requires that evidence be left on the largest chunk of meat. The scrotum alone should be enough according to the regs, but what Rinella suggested is that you cut the scrotum off and leave a testicle as it's more sanitary. The regs state you must leave either the scrotum, penis or testicle so just one of the 3 will do.

Also, a little known law; if you are transporting more than one animal you must be able to clearly specify which meat belongs to which tag. How they would know: who knows, so just be confident in your answer.

This is important too. We always debone then just dump the meat out of the game bags into a cooler when we get to the truck. At that point its hard to tell exactly where every piece of meat came from. You have to make sure you keep animals separate somehow. Ive heard of game wardens coming into camp and spending hours making guys split up pieces into piles for each animal with proof of sex and tags to make sure there is only the animals they say there is. It sounds dumb but how easy would it be to sneak a deboned deer into a pile with two deboned elk.

I can't wrap my head around the "all portions must be transported together" portion. Does this mean if your packing an animal out you need to have evidence of sex with you at all times? What if you already packed that piece to your car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BGLEMIN

FNG
I can't wrap my head around the "all portions must be transported together" portion. Does this mean if your packing an animal out you need to have evidence of sex with you at all times? What if you already packed that piece to your car?

I believe in this case "transport " refers to when you are transporting in your vehicle to wherever the animal is to be processed.

I called CO about this two years ago. They said just leave it attached to a small portion of meat. If you slip up on the knife, well, just hope you don't get checked.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Evidence of sex means you leave the smallest identifiable flesh of a penis attached to one hind qtr. That
means the time from killsite to out of the field where it will be processed (home, processor, check station, whatever).

In AK it'll cost ya $100 if you forget to leave evidence of sex attached and get checked.

I tought a seminar last year for a Montana FWP program on how to debone an animal for first time adult hunters. Multiple game wardens were there and answered this very question based on the Montana regulation wording. You have to leave proof of species and sex naturally attached to a hind quarter. Take that quarter off first and leave about a cantaloupe size piece of hide attached with a testicle, by taking it off first you don't forget and if you slip you might be able to salvage proof on the other side. If you made an honest attempt and the knife slipped I don't think you will have an issue with most wardens but there are some that will write you up. Ultimately one slip isn't going to cut everything off so I wouldn't worry about it just take your time.

this is just one of the stupid rules colorado has. never mind the fact that no where does the sex of the animal have anything to do with determining whether the animal is legal.....does it have antlers or does it not have antlers. those are the requirements.......

Whip

WKR
You might be able to find this on YouTube, but Rinella covered this in a episode and it was an excellent idea. Skin the balls and leave one of them attached. Because they have been skinned, there is no hair to get on the meat.

Yep. That's the cleanest way.

chindits

WKR
one of the stupid rules colorado has. never mind the fact that no where does the sex of the animal have anything to do with determining whether the animal is legal.....does it have antlers or does it not have antlers

Not so dog. Find me an elk hunter filling a cow tag that takes out the head and I will show you a non-resident first time cow killer that harvested next to the road. A local wildlife manager stopped a truck with a person hauling out a headless elk quartered up and no proof of sex. The driver said he took a cow and showed his cow tag. The officer made him take him back to the kill site where he found the head of a spike bull on the ground. Antler size matters on bulls, proof of sex matters on cows. All sorts of craziness goes down with the party hunting crowd harvesting what ever is brown and run'n. It's not a hard regulation to follow and plenty of folk do so without ruining any meat.

gabenzeke

WKR
So here's the thing that I'm not so sure about. In the Rinella video, it shows him skinning out the sack, but doesn't show what he does from there to make sure it stays attached to the hindquarter. My fear is that one slip of the knife will make me non-compliant. Frankly, I'm not one go try to skirt the law, so I'd be obligated to turn myself in for what was an honest mistake

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

WKR
If you are hunting on an either sex tag, why is evidence of sex required? Always wondered that and never found a good reason.

If you are hunting on an either sex tag, why is evidence of sex required? Always wondered that and never found a good reason.

One reason is many units in CO have antler point restrictions, so someone may shoot an illegal bull hide the head bring out the meat call it a cow and come back for the head later.

It's really not that big of a deal, I don't see why so many people have problems with it. I've been checked when I just cut a nut off no sack and threw it in the bag with a hind quarter. One nut in each bag plus a rack game warden was fine with it asked me about the sack I said didn't want that in with my meat at least a nut is meat. He was fine with it, cows are worse cause you can't really get around that so an udder In each bag and I'll put a plastic bag around them to try and avoid so much of it touching the meat. Do try and keep them attached but sometimes you slip a little. As long as you don't have frozen nuts and frozen udders with fresh meat most wardens get it.

Need to freshen up this post and ask... If you are making multiple trips to pack out an elk, do you need to keep proof of sex with you during every trip? Or can you leave proof of sex in the truck while you return to get the rest of the meat? This was alluded to earlier in the post, but not clearly answered. Thanks!

Ucsdryder

WKR
I don't understand why guys leave the sack attached. Skin a piece of his shaft then leave a 3" section. Nothing to taint the meat and simple to do. Always do it on the first quarter you process so if you screw up or forget you still have another one.