Leaving sex identification on carcass

This may sound dumb, but I am not clear on the way Colorado rules are. I read on the Colorado's hunting regulations, that proof of sex must remain attached to the carcass. So if you are boning an elk out to pack out how do you leave proof of sex attached to the carcass. Is the head with the antlers proof, if the rest is boned out meat?

Can't speak directly to Colorado, but Montana, Washington and Idaho all require you leave proof of sex attached to a portion of the meat/carcass. A head/antlers cut off don't count. I just leave either a teste or part of the scrotum or udder attached to a hindquarter.

Ironman8

WKR
Do you guys bring anything to cover the balls so that it doesn't taint the meat? I was thinking of bringing a sandwich bag or Saran Wrap with a rubber band to tie it off from the rest of the meat.

And how long do you have to leave proof of sex attached?

And...what if you make a slip of the knife and end up cutting it off? If you bring it with you, would they still give you hell about it?

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I take a gallon size ziplock that I had one days food in and put it around sack/wiener and tie it off with a short length of para cord.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Do you guys bring anything to cover the balls so that it doesn't taint the meat?

I almost always bone everything out. I take a gallon ziplock in my pack just for the evidence of sex attached to a small portion of meat. How big or small is up to the interpretation of whichever officer checks you. I put that whole piece (meat and evidence) in the ziplock and close it up. Then put it in the top of my burger bag. You really don't want the evidence from a rutted up bull anywhere near the meat, but this is the best option I've come up with.

Is the head with the antlers proof, if the rest is boned out meat?

NO! Not in Colorado.

rayporter

WKR
dont you also need proof of point count-IE 4 points along with proof of sex?

leave it attached until processed. you can get stopped at the state line and checked.

also if traveling through certain states there are no bones allowed and the skull must be boiled first.

Stid2677

WKR
I know in Alaska you can thank lazy hunters,, no I say lazy poachers as they do not deserve the title of hunters. They would kill a giant bull way back in the nasties and chop off the head, then kill a cow on the river and then pretend that the cow meat was the meat from the trophy bull. They get a giant rack, and good cow meat that is better to eat. That is what brought that regulation here.

Like this.

P9060511_zpsee991c22.jpg

Finch

WKR
dont you also need proof of point count-IE 4 points along with proof of sex?

leave it attached until processed. you can get stopped at the state line and checked.

also if traveling through certain states there are no bones allowed and the skull must be boiled first.
Is there a site that tells you all the states instead of searching thru each states' regs? I'll be going thru quite a few heading back to VA.

Shrek

WKR
I do believe the regs for Colorado say the proof of sex must remain attached to the LARGEST piece of the carcass. An empty nut sack or teat attached to a rear quarter. I don't know what you can get away with that's what the regs read.

And...what if you make a slip of the knife and end up cutting it off? If you bring it with you, would they still give you hell about it?

I would think it would depend on the game officer, but I saw tickets handed out for this very thing in Idaho. My buddy had the junk and they still ticketed him.

Poser

WKR
i think Va. just passed some CWD laws. but i dont know where to go to check all states.

VA recently banned the use of commercial deer urine for CwD reasons.

On a partially related note, Tennessee doesn't distinguish between the sex of deer and elk. It's antlered and antlerless to account for the occasional female with antlers. This seems rather practical. Not sure what happens in other states if you kill a female deer with antlers but only have a buck tag?

bbrown

WKR
It should be attached to the largest chunks of meat. We usually throw the punched carcass tag in the same place since the warden will want to see both and it will save you some time looking. For a bull I usually leave the empty sack and cows just a teet. I always try to plan my cuts when quartering/deboning so the evidence of sex is attached to one of the first pieces but always plan my cuts so if I mess up, and it's happened, I still have a chance to leave it attached to another portion. The evidence of sex should remain naturally attached until processed technically but I usually cut it off as soon as I get it to my house since I am in the process of "processing".

Head and/or antlers is not considers evidence of sex if it has been removed from the carcass.

CO Regs state that the head is sufficient if it remains attached. If boning out or quartering you must leave evidence on a quarter or "major portion". I was always told that you had to leave it on both sides and most of the direction on CPW's site say as much, but the regs don't specifically require it.

EVIDENCE OF SEX
1. It is illegal to have or transport a big-game carcass
without evidence of sex naturally attached. It is
illegal only to have evidence of sex accompany the
carcass. If you submit a deer or elk head for CWD
testing, leave evidence of sex on the carcass.
2. EVIDENCE OF SEX IS:
A. BUCK/BULL: Head with antlers or horns attached
to carcass; or testicle, scrotum or penis
attached to carcass.
B. DOE/COW: Head, udder (mammary) or vulva
attached to carcass.
C. BLACK BEAR: Male: testicles or penis.
Female: vulva.
3. Heads detached from carcass are not adequate
evidence of sex.
4. If a carcass is cut in pieces or deboned, evidence
of sex needs to be attached to a quarter or another
major part of carcass. All portions must be trans- ported together.
5. Evidence of sex is not required if a donation certificate
accompanies less than 20 pounds of meat or
after the carcass is cut into processed meat, wrapped
and frozen, or stored at licensee’s home.
NEW TIP! If you shoot a young buck or bull with antlers
less than 5 inches long, it can be considered “antlerless”.
But what do you do about evidence of sex?
1) Leave the head and antlers naturally attached to a portion
of the carcass to prove it meets the requirement.
2) Leave the testicles attached to a portion of the carcass
and then you can detach the head or skull plate
and carry it out with the antlers intact.

gabenzeke

WKR
Maybe a dumb question, but for CO, if I leave testicles in the sack and detach one of the testicles from the other quarter, am I good? Is the scrotum alone good enough? When I call the DOW I get mixed answers, not sure I want to go by their answers.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
You might be able to find this on YouTube, but Rinella covered this in a episode and it was an excellent idea. Skin the balls and leave one of them attached. Because they have been skinned, there is no hair to get on the meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gabenzeke

WKR
Yeah, I'm just worried about trying that having never done it. Seems like not skinning the balls and leaving scrotum attached would be easier. I'd cover it with a bag and zip tie.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Maybe a dumb question, but for CO, if I leave testicles in the sack and detach one of the testicles from the other quarter, am I good? Is the scrotum alone good enough? When I call the DOW I get mixed answers, not sure I want to go by their answers

CO requires that evidence be left on the largest chunk of meat. The scrotum alone should be enough according to the regs, but what Rinella suggested is that you cut the scrotum off and leave a testicle as it's more sanitary. The regs state you must leave either the scrotum, penis or testicle so just one of the 3 will do.

Also, a little known law; if you are transporting more than one animal you must be able to clearly specify which meat belongs to which tag. How they would know: who knows, so just be confident in your answer.