Knife of choice

The last couple years I've only been taking two knives, both Kestrels, one for skinning and one for boning and doing the finer cape work like splitting lips and turning ears. Total weight = 2.3 oz. with the sheaths.

Attachments

• caper2.jpg
    caper2.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 335
  • skinner2.jpg
    skinner2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 332

Bob L.

FNG
We did alot of critters this year with outdoor edge razor and really liked it. never broke a blade.

Bughalli

WKR
For backcountry I was using a Havalon, but switched to Gerber Vital. Changing the blade on the Havalon was always a pain in the butt, especially when you brake a blade, which happens pretty often. Changing it was too dangerous. I always felt it was only a matter of time before I found a way to cut myself trying to change it...and the backcountry isn't the place you want a blade that sharp to cut you. Vital uses the same blade, has all the benefits of the Havalon but much much easier to change.

Non-backpack hunts, I have a bunch of knives I use ranging from classic Buck knives to fancy custom. As a solid all round knife, I do like the folding Outdoor Edge. Has a standard blade and gut blade. Not the swing version. On mine both blades fold into the orange handle

MattB

WKR
Havalon, rarely an issue with breaking the blades and never an issue changing them out.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
Cub Bear from Knives of Alaska is my go to knife. i tried to like the Havalon ( i own two of them) but im really hard on them and break the blades often. I agree with Bughalli I figured it was just a matter of time before I cut myself pretty serious while changing a broken blade. the Cub bear retains an edge for a long time and only weighs 2.2 oz. I always have a benchmade griptillian in my front pocket as well.

novaman64

Lil-Rokslider
Knives of Alaska D2 steel, rubber grip drop point blade past few years. Replacing it this year, I have a few other (folding every day carry) knives that are S30V steel that I seem to have a finer edge than the D2. Looking to get either a Kestrel Ultralight S35VN steel knife or a Benchmade Hidden Canyon Hunter....

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
Benchmade saddle mountain hunter.

Marshmster, had our local Sportsmans had the Saddle Mountain hunter with the Kydex sheath I'd have grabbed it. The Saddle Mountain with the leather sheath was so sharp that if you pushed it into the sheath to hard it would cut open the bottom of the sheath exposing the blade and cut the schitt out of something.. I think it would be better for boning out a buck than the Benchmade I bought.

I ended up with a Steep Country Benchmade. Boned a moutain buck out and quartered up a cow elk and is still sharp. I tried going with the Havolon to cut weight but I'm just to damn old school. I gotta have a good solid blade.

Really like that Saddle Mountain Hunter you have.

AZ Vince

WKR
Erik Fritz EDC is my knife of choice.
77a49a67639ca3741db1c3c8f68940d2.jpg

Marshmstr

Lil-Rokslider
Utah,
I was so impressed with how the Saddle Mt hunter held its edge and felt, I also bought the Saddle Mt Skinner....I can't say enough good things on these knifes!

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
MM, trust me I know what you mean my Steep Country is amazing.. I'm not opposed to owning the SMH and the SMS along with my Steep Country. Inspired this morning by this thread so I got out the Lansky took the diamond fine hone out and took maybe 10 strokes per side and after the mountain buck and my cow it's totally scary. It's so sharp I literally hide it from my family for fear someone might get hurt just looking at it. :)

Why would I want all 3? Why not? :)

A few years ago the Alaska boys enlightened me on the Cutco 5718H with a Double-D serrated edge. I doubted it until I got one and used it on a huge old bull moose. Most impressive skinning, disassembly and boning knife I've ever owned. Not a small or light knife. Totally functional. Too much for deer, but superb on caribou and moose. I found out that all serrated blades are not equal. The Cutco Double-D goes through tough tendons and ligaments like nothing I've ever used. I own and use a Havalon periodically, but I require a sturdier blade on big animals when taking them apart.

DSC01021.jpg

drop-point-knife[1].jpg

That is a perfect size for a folding knife and will serve well processing an animal. I have the Mini-Barrage which looks almost identical to that one and I love it. Benchmade makes a great knife made here in the USA. Their Saddle Mountain Skinner is perfect also. Buck builds some fine knives also and I really like their Vanguard with the wood handle. Hard to beat the old 110 for a lockback folder too!

Bar

Banned
I use a couple of Bucks and a Havalon Bolt with the thicker blades. I've never broke a blade.

btw Havalon has a blade changer now that works pretty good.

mcseal2

WKR
Battle Horse Knives Blackwater, not in their current inventory. It's a slick little knife with a 3.5" blade of O1 steel, a little heavy for some I'm sure at 5.7oz with sheath. It's real comfortable for me to use and holds an awesome edge. I quartered 4 whitetail with it this year, did a few passes on a steel, and sliced up a quarter for jerky. I like the Havalon knives too but I don't like being to far from civilization without a solid fixed blade. This one is the lightest one I have tried with the blade length and quality I want. If I'm counting ounces I just take this knife and leave my Havalon or Outdoor edge replacable blade knife and Leatherman at home.

Found a link to it on another site
http://stores.jsrsportsandmore.com/black-water/

I work on a ranch and my everyday belt knife works pretty good on game too. I carry a Camillus Bushcrafter on my belt with my Leatherman Wave. I use those two tools multiple times each day. I really beat the crap out of them in my daily use. I've broke several plier jaws or blades on the Leatherman tools when abusing them. I don't fault the Leatherman, I ask to much from them at times. The Camillus though, I've yet to be able to hurt. I've hammered it through stuff with an axe or fencing pliers, batoned it, pried with it, about anything you are never supposed to do to a knife. My original one is still working fine. It's made from 1085 steel and weighs 8.6oz with it's sheath. It's a thicker stronger blade than the Battle Horse knife listed above. It holds an edge very well although not as good as some of the newer steels. It sure sharpens up quick after abuse though and takes a great razor edge. I've tried many knives and can't find anything to complain about on this one. I like it enough I have three more sitting new in the gun safe, When my nephews get old enough to have knives two will be gifts to them. That will be the real test, those boys could destroy a crowbar in a sandbox!

Last edited: