Meat hauler in CO - Need help

I'm trying to locate someone with horses/mules in the Grandby/Walden area that I can have on standby to call if I get something down in the backcountry. Tried craigslist with no success. Anyone know anyone or any resources that can help locate someone with a potential pack-out? I've thought about calling some nearby outfitters to see if they provide those services. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Matt

gelton

WKR
Call the nearby outfitters. Even if they arent licensed to guide/drop camp in the unit, they can still provide packing services.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Im looking on Google now and doing some research looks like Red Feather Outfitters has a great reputation and can do what you need them to do. Id give them a call. [email protected]

OP
C
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll give some outfitters a call. I wasn't sure if that is a service they provide.

Matt

Call the nearby outfitters. Even if they arent licensed to guide/drop camp in the unit, they can still provide packing services.

Actually no guides and outfitters cannot provide services outside of their permit area. Just like some guy on a horse cannot pack ur animals or gear into an area for a fee that is illegal outfitting. Packing animals or gear is the same as outfitting, if there is a permitted outfitter in the area you have to use them, another outfitter from another area cannot come and pack for you without the permit holders consent. If there is any type of transaction whatsoever even trading meat, or I've seen it as serious as you pack for me here I'll pick for you in my state, it is illegal outfitting and all parties involved will be charged if caught. Call the USFS in the area and ask them if they have an outfitter permitted in the area you are hunting they will tell you if there is and give you the name and you can go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I never was aware that making a deal with a private party (non-outfitter) to haul out some meat was illegal whether it be cash or meat trading. Never have done (seems the times I would have wanted to make that deal no one was around! :p ).

Yes sir, sometimes the forest service will even try and pursuade guys horseback that may be hunting to "pack out their kill" just to see, this usually happens in an area where an outfitter or people have been complaining about stuff like this happening and the forest service tries to catch them. It is money out of an outfitters pocket, and depending on the outfitter it's 150-250 dollars per horse to pack animals that can add up over a season. Especially for someone that's riding the mountains on weekends just to scalp pack outs for cash in their pocket. I was drop camping for an outfitter a few years ago and had 3 gentleman on my way out of bringing in some hunters come up to the trail. Now I've hunted my whole life and have outfitted for a lot of guys. These guys were perfectly dressed in their camo and blaze vests, not dirty not a drop of blood on them either. Told me they had been on the mountain for 4 days and finally killed 2 Bulls and if I would pack them out for them. Of course I said yes no problem as I was working for the outfitter that had the permits. They tried busting me but soon found out I was doing it legal. Beware of horseback people on the mountain they may be willing to pack you out, say they are permitted but they aren't. Ask questions before hand to cover ur own butt, if you truly met these guys on the mountain and they suckered you into paying them, you can be let off if they are caught. But ask their outfitter license #, and where they are located. Offer to pay with a check and if they keep insisting cash then be cautious. Most outfitter business # are 1-2900, if it's over 2900 they are either brand new or lieing.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would have figured outfitters were likely already tied up with the clients to pack others meat. Do they typically have excess capacity to haul for others if outsiders are banned from doing it?

Some do some don't, some outfitters have extra guides on call in a way. Others coordinate their drop camps to have days off here and there. Me personally I offer meat packing and if the person calls in advance of the season and gives me an idea of where they are hunting I will let them know my "planned" schedule of when I will be in that area checking drop camps or when I will have time off the mountain with no guided hints going on. I also have a few buddies that will come pack for me when I need it just to be on the mountain and have a day away. If it's archery season or early hotter seasons it makes it tough for me to get in that day unless very early so i have to wait next day the later seasons make it easier as I can coordinate with my drop camps and meat can stay on the mountain a little longer. I've even had other hunters come into my drop camps and get my number from the hunters and find out when they planned me coming in again. Then when I showed up to check my hunters I had a note of where the guys were at and where the meat was. One time even came into the camp and there were 2 1 man tents next to my wall tent, and those guys killed their elk and were assisting my drop camp hunters with finding elk themselves.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Out of curiosity generally speaking what's it cost to have an elk packed out assuming it's been moved from whatever slope/hell hole to near a passable trail to be picked up? Say 8mi of basic trail (no major ridges or such) type packout?

$300 bucks, I charge $150 per horse 8 miles is quite a ways so I like to have 1 elk on 2 horses, if it was a mile or 2 I can make 2 trips even on one horse that way my packer earns his wages for the day haha. It's different for everyone that's just what I charge in my area as it is a pretty rough area. I also have trails in my permits where price goes up due to the difficulty of the trails. And these are all forest service trails not ones I've made myself

ckleeves

WKR
What if your buddy helps you pack out your elk and you give him 1/2 the meat? Is that illegal?

Look at "donating game meat" in the regs. Depending on where, how much, if the meat is processed and if he has a like license. Real easy to accidentally break the donating regs.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What if your buddy helps you pack out your elk and you give him 1/2 the meat? Is that illegal?

You can gift meat to friends and such in general so I'd tend to think no its not illegal if you choose to share (not a lawyer). I'm guessing it'd have more to do with striking a deal with a new party you meet in the woods (or call up a new party) saying help me for meat. Your friends can't legally haul for you on the contingency of getting meat it sounds like but how is the law going to prove gift versus payment between friends? Likely falls into that same area as sharing some homebrewed beer with a buddy who helped with a chore or something, don't write down on paper X is for Y and I'd say you're golden. ;)

I tend to view meat hauling with my hunting partners as a gentlmens agreement to share the wealth, since someone might need to pass up their own harvest opportunity if there is already too much work on the table from someone else's harvest (don't want to harvest more than you can reasonably handle). The meat gets hauled home and processed in one batch though with the carcass tag and then gifted.

I never said anything about buddies, this is completely different. Meet a guy on the mountain and trade or pay its illegal, hunting with ur buddy and they help you not illegal. There is a line here, you know the guy vs you don't know the guy, also donation half the meat can be illegal anyways. Check the regs on donating game meat as said above. I didn't make the rules I just like to follow them to keep myself out of hot water and try to inform people of what's going on so they don't make a mistake and get gear, meat and licenses confiscated. Meat hauling between friends is fine, having someone else come in you called up and never met or met on the mountain and paying them to pack meat is illegal, unless they are permitted and licenses to outfit in that areas

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
also donation half the meat can be illegal anyways.

Speaking for the CO regs its fine to donate half (or even all) do but if unprocessed it needs to be at their house and not at the trailhead. It can be done at the trailhead IF they have the same exact tag and they punch their tag. Processed meat you can donate any amount and its not contingent on it being at their residence. In all scenarios above you are supposed to sign an note with your license info written on it to whom you're donating meat to and how much.

That part of the regs I knew, thanks though since I definitely wasn't aware of the stranger/deal part crossing a line.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I never said anything about buddies, this is completely different. Meet a guy on the mountain and trade or pay its illegal, hunting with ur buddy and they help you not illegal.

That's what I thought. Which is totally absurd. Prove that the guy I met on the mountain isn't a buddy.

Look at "donating game meat" in the regs. Depending on where, how much, if the meat is processed and if he has a like license. Real easy to accidentally break the donating regs.

I know the donation regs. I was looking just for the buddy regs.

gelton

WKR
Actually no guides and outfitters cannot provide services outside of their permit area. Just like some guy on a horse cannot pack ur animals or gear into an area for a fee that is illegal outfitting. Packing animals or gear is the same as outfitting, if there is a permitted outfitter in the area you have to use them, another outfitter from another area cannot come and pack for you without the permit holders consent. If there is any type of transaction whatsoever even trading meat, or I've seen it as serious as you pack for me here I'll pick for you in my state, it is illegal outfitting and all parties involved will be charged if caught. Call the USFS in the area and ask them if they have an outfitter permitted in the area you are hunting they will tell you if there is and give you the name and you can go from there.

This is interesting because I have used a packer both to pack meat and to rent horses, which they deliver to an area that they arent permitted to guide or do drop camps in. Either there is some other permit that I am not aware of or they are breaking the law, which I dont think is the case because they seem to be a stand up outfit.