skull boil

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you didn't change the water soon enough during your boil and boiled the oil back into skull. I'd soak it in warm dawn water mix or maybe try the purple power. You can try the 40* with water do a short time let it dry in the sun repeat intervals until it's just white enough for your liking

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever
I think you didn't change the water soon enough during your boil and boiled the oil back into skull. I'd soak it in warm dawn water mix or maybe try the purple power. You can try the 40* with water do a short time let it dry in the sun repeat intervals until it's just white enough for your liking

I never changed the water on either of the 2 I have done. I will have to try that next time.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I simmer for 45 minutes or so and then try and knock most of the meat off and change the water and then work to get nooks and crannies. It takes me awhile because I like to keep the nose bone intact

zman

Lil-Rokslider
No problem here. Mine ran out of propane mid way. Just started it back up few hours later. Little borax in the water. Didn't have any peroxide so I just used soft scrub with bleach to whiten it up. Looks great. skull.jpg

I did my first one this year and saw some great advice on using a compressor. Remove the skull from the simmering pot (don't boil, people!!!) after picking the big chunks and place into another pot of warm soapy water. Then use your air blower attachment on the compressor to blow in each of the little holes in the skull. I could believe how much of the hidden crap came out.

I did this once, in the house, in the stationary tub, in the laundry room. Blew that whitetail bucks brains all over the wall !!!! lol Thank God the wife wasn't home, epic cleaning job. Crime Lab wouldn't pull any evidence from that scene but it took a while :p