Darkening Antlers

So, I just boiled a skull which had velvet on the antlers. After stripping the velvet the antlers are so white. Any process recommendations for getting them to that normal brownish color?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Provincial minwax stain seems lots of people like it's color for deer antlers. There is also a water softener chemical I'll have to look it up for you shortly

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Potassium permanganate. I could only get local in 5lb bag but you can get it off eBay in smaller quantities. You dilute it with distilled water so a little goes a long way. Knife builders use this for handles

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I need to still do my caribou from last year so been researching some. Post some pictures after your done with your thoughts. Good luck

ncstewart

WKR
Provincial stain. I use it to touch up euro mounts and sheds. I would get a shed and a Q-tip and test it tho to make sure it's what you are looking for. Better to go very light and work up to the color you are looking for.
Also if you look online you can find antler stain from taxidermist but I have never used it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've read where"they" say there is a chance stain won't apply evenly to the membrane left behind after removing velvet. That's what has been holding me back from using it on the caribou. The potassium will dye anything but i haven't put the effort into acquiring any. I'll be following your efforts muley

They make an antler stain. I have a bottle and it works well but it appears to be water based. It's kind of a double edge sword in that you can take a damp cloth and wipe spots to make them lighter but if it got wet who knows? Don't know about a velvet antler.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Take a before and after picture. Looking forward to seeing your results. Good luck

Mark

WKR
My son knows a taxidermist in Oregon that "stains" antlers the natural way.

He takes pine boughs, pine pitch, dirt and mud and basically does what a buck would do in the wild.

OP
MuleyFever
So I mixed the stuff with rubbing alcohol and applied to a small section on the back of the antler. I have done 3 light coats and it really isn't doing much. If anything it is making it kinda yellowish.

Tod osier

WKR
The potassium permanganate works for sure. Many of the mixes I saw online were much weaker than I ultimately used (can't remember the mix, but it was dark purple). I used water as a solvent. Laying it on a few times gives a more natural look than a thick coat.

Caribou antlers that were stark white. I wanted these pretty dark, they are not as dark as they look in the photo.

IMG_0136_zpsfejzauyo.jpg

OP
MuleyFever
How many coats did you do on that? I put the mixture in a container. When I have time I think I will try mixing in some more powder and see if it will help.

OP
MuleyFever
Well I have done 4 in a small section and you can barely even see any coloring. I think I need to make the mixture darker.

OP
MuleyFever
Research Mannequins. I used rubbing alcohol to mix it. I thought it would be OK. I may just try and mix some with water and try it instead.

Stid2677

WKR
My son knows a taxidermist in Oregon that "stains" antlers the natural way.

He takes pine boughs, pine pitch, dirt and mud and basically does what a buck would do in the wild.

I have done this too, mixed spruce sap with dirt and rubbed in several coats.

IMGP1316-1.jpg

IMGP1812.jpg

IMGP1928.jpg