Review: Ovis Sacks Lightweight Game Bags, by Tony Trietch

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Rokslide Moderator Tony Trietch put these game bags to the test on four big game animal packouts: two bull elk and two mature bucks.

Tony's here with his final report.

Review: Ovis Sacks Lightweight Game Bags

If you have any experience with these bags, or a question for Tony, post 'em up!

Ronin75

Lil-Rokslider
What's the best way to get the blood stains out? Is it a matter of just throwing the in the washer machine or do u soak them first. Thks

What's the best way to get the blood stains out? Is it a matter of just throwing the in the washer machine or do u soak them first. Thks

I wash mine and then soak then in the sink in bleach water. They come out perfectly white after this.

I have these bags and the only thing I did not like about them was that they smelled like moth balls or "chemically" out of the package. I even washed them with no-scent soap prior to my hunt and they still had that odor. They are well built though. Nice package all-in-all.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have these bags and the only thing I did not like about them was that they smelled like moth balls or "chemically" out of the package. I even washed them with no-scent soap prior to my hunt and they still had that odor. They are well built though. Nice package all-in-all.

I haven’t killed anything yet with mine. Now I’m gonna have to smell them first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
I've read a few places where people said they smelled funny. I've had a lot of people tell me that I have a sensitive sense of smell.

They just smell like nylon to me, which smells similar to polyester/paracord to me. It's so faint on the bags that I only noticed it after reading people's comments, and I still have to put to bag up to my face to catch it.

Is this what people are talking about, or is there some smell from the logo printing or something else? I'm guessing the logo is vinyl, which is typically aromatic when new. I'd smell mine again, but they're packed away since I'm leaving tomorrow.

Has anyone experienced them transferring any odor to the meat? The set that I have have so little smell to them that I feel like whatever flowers or other plants that may come in to contact during the pack out would be more significant.

Last edited:

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Interesting, mine had no smell.

shadow

FNG
Mine had a synthetic "odor" when they were new like I expected a brand new synthetic bag to smell. Didn't matter. Killed my elk and they worked absolutely fantastic. Everyone who helped remarked at how well they worked and were going to buy some as well. i soaked them in a tub with some detergent and did a rough wash with a hose. Threw them in the washing machine and they came out pretty clean. Probably wouldn't pass my mother in-law's cleanliness standards, but surely clean enough to make them bloody again.

11boo

WKR
I bought those. At least they are light, the way my hunting goes they will never get dirty.

I did unpack and air them out right after receiving, didn’t smell bad at all and look plenty sturdy. I like the reflective stripe, if I ever get to use them.