Freeze, thaw, freeze

lukebrowning

Lil-Rokslider
Always looking for a better way to care for meat when flying. How many of you freeze meat prior to flying, thaw when you get home in order to process, and then freeze again for storage. Any safety concerns when doing this?

Tod osier

WKR
Always looking for a better way to care for meat when flying. How many of you freeze meat prior to flying, thaw when you get home in order to process, and then freeze again for storage. Any safety concerns when doing this?

I have frozen, thawed, butchered (ground, made sausage, made fermented sausage, etc...) and refrozen many times. I did read the cooks illustrated article cited here and there is probably some truth to it, but what can you do? I'm happy with the quality of refrozen steaks and roasts and burger and sausage.

We have gotten Cooks Illustrated for a long time and they LOVE to make mountains out of molehills (that is actually their niche) - so I take whatever they print with a grain of salt.

There is no food safety concern as long as the meat stays cold. Do not refreeze meat as a safety concern only comes into play if you let it get warm and bacteria starts to grow. When I butcher previously frozen, the meat usually has some iciness to it.

I have part of a deer to do as well as an elk right now that I've been waiting on fatback to make some sausage. Picking up 20# of fatback tomorrow, so I've got work to do.

LostArra

WKR
I have frozen, thawed, butchered (ground, made sausage, made fermented sausage, etc...) and refrozen many times. I did read the cooks illustrated article cited here and there is probably some truth to it, but what can you do? I'm happy with the quality of refrozen steaks and roasts and burger and sausage.

We have gotten Cooks Illustrated for a long time and they LOVE to make mountains out of molehills (that is actually their niche) - so I take whatever they print with a grain of salt.

+1 Amen
I also wonder if chicken responds differently than venison.

USDA says.

Refreezing
Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through thawing. After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods. If previously cooked foods are thawed in the refrigerator, you may refreeze the unused portion. Freeze leftovers within 3-4 days. Do not refreeze any foods left outside the refrigerator longer than 2 hours; 1 hour in temperatures above 90 °F.

If you purchase previously frozen meat, poultry or fish at a retail store, you can refreeze if it has been handled properly.

We've been doing it for years.

mcseal2

WKR
I've frozen lots of front quarters off does, then sliced them up half froze to make jerky. I marinate the sliced meat in the fridge for 24hrs, dehydrate, and re-freeze. The others here are spot on, if bacteria isn't allowed to grow it is safe. I have re-frozen beef with no ill effects also. I think it's ok as long as it's not tried a third time from what the guys here that do all their own game and beef butchering tell me.

I chunk up my meat and freeze for later grinding and sausage making, then freeze again. It always tastes great.

garyw

FNG
I ask our local butcher how many times could beef be frozen the thawed?. He said it could be frozen then thawed two times.