Value of an elk

frankrb3

WKR
How much do you think the value of an elk would be if you were to buy the same amount of beef. Trying to get my brother to buy an elk tag to come out here and hunt with me next fall. If you were to buy a cow elk what would the animal be worth? Im sure it would be more than the cost of the tag and I want to use it for motivation to get him to come out here and chase elk with me. Im sure someone has done the math already or has experience with commercial elk meat prices. Thanks

Last edited:

Retterath

WKR
elk meat is awesome, high protein and very low in fat and organic. Elk meet is worth a lot to me. I think organic beef is like $9-10 a lb so if hes into health, there you go. I thought that you had to actually have an general elk tag to get and extra B tag? Or your saying I can just buy a otc cow tag then?

Kilboars

WKR
Before I became a hunter we visited Jackson Hole and feel in love with Elk meat. Back home in FL my wife started buying it online and shipping it book to us. I think she paid $100 for 2-lbs:(

Akicita

WKR
How much do you think the value of an elk would if you were to buy the same amount of beef. Trying to get my brother to buy an over the counter elk B tag to come out here and hunt elk with me next fall and the tag is $270. If you were to buy a cow elk what would the animal be worth? Im sure it would be more than the cost of the tag and I want to use it for motivation to get him to come out here and chase elk with me. Im sure someone has done the math already or has experience with commercial elk meat prices. Thanks

For a 3 to 4 1/2 year old bull you may harvest around 200l bs. A 5 to 7 year old bull may harvest you around 250 pounds. The current average retail for grade and choice beef combined right now is around $5.557 per pound ( this changes frenquently) therefore 200 pounds of beef currently would cost approximately $1111.40 retail . . . But I think you need to also consider the overall cost of an Western Elk hunt for travel, gear, tags, fuel, etc. . . Probable going to exceed the net cost of beef for most out of state hunters. I am fortunate to live in Elk country but I have heard from some out of state hunters that it cost them in the thousands to hunt in my backyard. We have a few guided hunts on some of our ranches that run well over that amount.

Gr8bawana

WKR
If i could spend the same amount of money to go and buy elk meat as compared to go and actually hunt one, there is no comparison. To me the value is in the hunt itself. Time spent out in the hills with my son and my brother is priceless.0107151248-00 (1).jpgDSCN1244.jpgDSCN0698.jpgDSCN0386.jpg

Last edited:

sasquatch

WKR
I spend more than that to hunt turkeys, ALOT MORE

There's no math involve, it's simple really, you either want to hunt or you don't!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I brought home 268lbs of just meat from my bull this year, and it was clean meat. 34lbs of just tenderloin and backstrap. You can't get more "organic" than wild elk IMO, and Costco had organic ground beef at $5+ a pound and tenderloin/backstrap for $20/lb. Heck, that's $680 just for the tenders and backstrap. Add $1170 just for the rest in burger and that's $1850.

Now I know why my wife gets upset every time I pass on a bull.

dsclowers

Lil-Rokslider
Are factoring in fuel, gear, and lodging costs? Just curious.

My wife says that elk meat is a "bargain". After adding in the cost of all of the gear, etc. I have purchased I'm paying about $200 / lb for "free" elk meat. I tell it gets cheaper every year (until I need to start replacing gear) :)

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
elk meat is awesome, high protein and very low in fat and organic. Elk meet is worth a lot to me. I think organic beef is like $9-10 a lb so if hes into health, there you go. I thought that you had to actually have an general elk tag to get and extra B tag? Or your saying I can just buy a otc cow tag then?

I guess I'm not sure now. I just checked the costs of licenses and it doesn't specify that you have to have the general elk license to purchase the B tag. You could be right though. This is where I was getting my information from. Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Hunting Licenses & Permits with Costs

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
If i could spend the same amount of money to go and buy elk meat as compared to go and actually hunt one, there is no comparison. To me the value is in the hunt itself. Time spent out in the hills with my son and my brother is priceless.

Agreed, and he has come out and joined me on an elk hunt before and of course we had a great time. I just want him to be able to hunt as well and since money doesn't grow on trees I want him to know it would be worth buying a tag for that price instead of just following me through the woods. I'd love to see him get an elk and have all that meat to take back with him.

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
Are factoring in fuel, gear, and lodging costs? Just curious.

I live in Southwest Montana where we would be hunting. He lives in Minnesota. I have a truck and he has all the necessary gear to hunt elk. It would cost him about $200 in gas round trip if he takes his little car out here and we just use my truck for the hunt. We would split food, and elk camp doesn't cost anything. All set and done I'm pretty sure the guy could get it done for $500 or less, but that's because I'm located where we would be hunting and would be able cut out a lot of expenses one would have when hunting out of state.

IIRC correctly your brother would have to first purchase the elk combo license(deadline to apply is 3/15) for $858 prior to purchasing an additional B license.

WRO

WKR
I got 208 processed out of my cow this year, at a 7.00 a lb average, 1456..

25531a4d17611554b95b23cebc77352e.jpg

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
IIRC correctly your brother would have to first purchase the elk combo license(deadline to apply is 3/15) for $858 prior to purchasing an additional B license.

Gotcha, I was definitely mistaken. Thanks for clearing that up. Seemed too good to be true and I probably should have done a little more research.