Hanging Deer

Ern

FNG
How warm of a night would you hang (have you hung) a deer with the plans of butchering it in the morning?

You are good to go under 50 degrees for sure. It depends on the internal temp of the deer as well. If you shot it that night I would get ice in the chest cavity and skin it before you hang it.
We have hung deer at 55 degrees over night but that was a bit stressful and that was only after the carcass cooled to 40-45 the day before.
We hang a venison quarter for 40 days at 40 degrees in a modified refrigerator which times out perfect for a Christmas roast.

bwlacy

WKR
I've hung them overnight up to about 50 or 55 degrees. I also hang them in a pole barn that stays cool during the day. I wouldn't hang them outside in the direct sun. If you have a good shady spot and can get ice in the chest cavity you should be good overnight into the next morning.

Always a tough call trying to decide if it's cool enough and how long is it safe to hang. I'm glad I don't have to worry about it anymore since I built my deer cooler.

45cb757898d004e847584680727d585e.jpg

OP
E

Ern

FNG
Thanks Guys. Where I hunt in IL the nights don't cool down very well during the early bow season. This sometimes keeps me from hunting, but I decided I'd like to start getting out earlier. Cutting up a deer right away is an option, but I'd prefer to hang it over night, then butcher in the morning. I usually have some frozen ice jugs in the freezer, so I like the idea of stuffing ice in the cavity. Actually I like the idea of having a deer cooler even more, but that's probably not going to happen:). Thanks! Nice deer by the way.