Wood Pellet Grill

Whisky

WKR
Anyone use a Rec Tec grill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've never used one but I know they are considered a step up from your Traeger/Daniel Boone/Camp Chef cookers. I can't remember what their construction is but their controllers are good.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

usmc99

Lil-Rokslider
Those Blazin Grills have my interest. I like the double walls.

Yeah they are solid. Made right here in Nebraska. Great controller too that you can hook up to your phone. Guy I know has one and loves it.

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
I have a traeger and love it. I've only had a fire go out once and it was my fault, I was playing with the p-settings. I should probably give it more attention than I do but it's been hassle free and I use it a lot compared to my old gas grill. It doesn't do steaks well so if thats what you are wanting, probably better options out there.

Brado16

WKR
GMG for mself as well as family members and friends that use them. Have even used it to make chocolate chip cookies and pizzas. I work in the family lumber business and we manufacture wood pellets for heating and for Pellet grills so Im partial to our own BBQ pellets :) I still have/use a Weber Charcoal grill for steaks though but for everything else, the Green Mountian gets used.

akuritone

FNG
I have a Rec Tec. It is built like a tank. The majority of it is heavy stainless. I've had it for 4 years now and have had to replace the igniter rod once. They now use a ceramic rod that supposedly lasts a lot longer. They also upgraded their lid to porcelain coated or something. A nice addition as my lid has faded over the years.
I love the thing. The only thing I'd like to have that mine does not is a meat probe that turns off(or even turns down) the controller when the internal temp reaches a set point. The WiFi connected ones really appeal to me. I usually start my cooks and leave for work so to be able to monitor that would be awesome.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Wanted to follow up regarding my experience with a problematic Traeger stated above. We were able to adjust the 'p setting' on the pellet grill we have at work and it's worked flawlessly now on two occasions. Once making duck bites (half a strip of bacon, dollop of cream cheese, slice of jarred jalapeño pepper, bite size chunk of mallard breast rolled and tooth picked together) which have a relatively short cooking time (cook just til then bacon is done and duck is medium rare). Second smoke was a brisket with a much longer cook time. Flawless performance on both.
The 'p setting' adjusts the time between auger activations and is based on time, not temperature. It's easily adjusted via a recessed button next to the LED temperature indicator. It took about a half hour of monkeying around via instructions found online to get it dialed. Super easy.

Moral of the story: "A poor craftsman blames his tools". Smh.

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Mak 2 Star General works really well for me. I like technology and it has built in wireless with temperature probes so you can create cooking programs based on grill or meat temp, as well as set alerting profiles.
I didn't want to have to mess with the fire box. Mak 2 Star makes it simple.
Also doubles as a grill but I have started doing the reverse sear and prefer that to any other cooking style for a steak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BuckSnort

WKR
e7791287736a7897845111d11e901d4f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Loos well built but damn! $2000+ for a smoker yikes

bbrown

WKR
Been using my Trager several times a week since getting it as a wedding gift back in '09. Ended up selling my propane grill just a few month after getting the Trager because all it was doing was housing wasps...

The Trager has been almost perfect other than replacing the digital control that finally wore out a couple years ago. I try to clean it out, change the foil and vacuum out the dust after every other bag of pellets. The only time it flamed up was when I forgot to put the shield back in around the fire pot after cleaning it out. Caught it before it got real bad but won't make that mistake again....

Whisky

WKR
The crappy thing is now that I sized up to an XL BGE, I hardly use the Yoder. It will get used this weekend for 20lbs of summer sausage though.

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
I have he GMG Daniel Boone with wifi. It's great, I e had it about 3 years now and no issues.

murf45

WKR
I'm using the Green Mountain Grill and love it. The customer support is very good as well. I've had a few friends/family members that have had nothing but trouble with the traeger grills.

WKR
Have the Rectec and love it. Got it in January and it has been very easy to use. Buddy has used one for 5 years and finally talked me into one.

FlyGuy

WKR
I just got turned on to pellet grills. Hadn't heard of them until that gritty podcast on trager. Anyway a new acquaintance recommended I look at a "Memphis" as he had upgraded to it from a Trager; but I honestly haven't done a smudge of research on them. Think they are a bit pricey tho.

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
Good to see the positive reviews on the Davey Crockett. Ordered one this week. Grew up on Treagers, and they always worked well, but have been reading enough negative stuff of the more current models to start searching elsewhere. Excited to get this little guy rolling. Gonna be bouncing around quite a bit for the next 1.5 years due to a military career field change, so figured this one would be great for running out of a billeting room or apartment. Then relegate it to hunting, camping, fishing duty when I get settled down again. Any more Davey Crocket info or tips im all ears.

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
Traeger for me. Works very well, but I vacuum it out and replace the tinfoil frequently. But for all of you thinking about one, I have just one word: BACON.....A pork belly at Costco, a dose of cure, a week in the fridge, and a hickory smoke until the internal temp reaches 150 degrees. I'll never by commercial bacon again.....ever!

We use ours in the Winter, which can get chilly here, with temps in the teens and below. Traeger makes a blanket wrap, but it's not perfect and it's grill specific. Depends on what you're cooking too, as it's easier to maintain those low temp smokes than it is to have high heat. We also have a Kamado Joe, but use the Traeger more often-it's tons easier to use! But....Pizza in a wood-fired Green Egg or Kamado Joe, well...perfect!!!