Wood Pellet Grill

PNWGATOR

WKR
We have a small Traeger at work and despite keeping it well cleaned and vacuumed it continually gives us trouble. We've had more than one hopper fire and many, many occurrences of the fire going out and subsequently no heat. Frustrating! It's about 2 yrs old. When it works, it makes great food. However, after having access to one and getting a chance to try to use it regularly, I would not purchase a Traeger. Know there are a lot of satisfied users, but that's been far from our experience.

I Have a couple Traegers, I also got one for a good friend. They all work perfectly. However, they did have a couple years, a few years back, where their quality control was not the best; This happened during a change in location of manufacture. But from my understanding, those days are behind them.

PNWGATOR, it sounds like your feed is out of adjustment. I'd suggest you give Traeger a call, they can be pretty helpful in troubleshooting. I purchased a broken one super cheap, called them, they walked me through trouble shooting it, order the part, installed it, tested it, and sold it at a very good profit. Their customer service was excellent.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Appreciate the insight, I'll give Traeger a call and see if we can solve the problem.

I have a GMG Jim Bowie and love it. I only clean the fire box after about 6-7 uses. Replace the foil on the grease catch every cook. I have the wifi feature on my which is awesome for long cooks. Quality pellets are a must. I usually run the Treager brand as the local sporting goods down the street carries them and at a good price.

I rarely vacuum mine, and I have never had a problem.

Okay, you ask why, Jake, I have a liquidation outlet near me. They carry a lot of very different merchandise. But they get the demo and floor sample Traegers in. Ive purchased almost every one they have gotten in, and either gave them to good friends, or sold them to acquaintances at cost. Thus far, the only one I sold for a profit was the broken one (it was the auger, and it was due to the pellets getting wet and expanding, prior to me purchasing it). As soon as I sold it, 3 acquaintances suddenly wanted it. So in short, I have Traeger's because I can get them ridiculously cheap. However, after using them for several years now, I love them. My experience is that if you take care of them, i.e., make sure the pellets are always dry and don't expand from moisture, they are reliable. I like being able to turn in on, warm it up, put the meat on, and walk away, and not have to tend it. Keep in mind that non of this type of pellet grill/smoker has precision temperature control. So expect the actual internal grill/smoker temperature to vary with altitude, outside temp, humidity... however, they are close enough to do an excellent job. But, I strongly suggest you get a meat thermometer. One that has a meat probe, but a display you can set up outside the grill, so it is easily visible. They make them with a solid cable and bluetooth up to 100+ feet operation distance. But I keep it pretty simple, I figure out my smoking time, set the temp a little low, and just turn it up and finish whatever I am smoking so I can monitor it only at the end. I can also turn the temp up and use it as a grill, but then I just stick the meat probe in and monitor it until done, since it doesn't take long. But in short, it's great to be able to stick a turkey, a large roast... in it and smoke it all day, and not have to tend it; so I can get all kinds of other things done.

Whisky

WKR
I guess the all important question is, what are you willing to spend? And how much would you use it? And would you use it during the Winter? And for how many people are you cooking?

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I have a traeger lil tex for the last 11 years, running the old 3 way switch until this christmas. I now have the oritech controller(who made the original traeger digital controllers). I've had couple grease flare ups, that were my fault for not swapping out the foil enough. Never had a hopper fire. I don't clean the ash pot that often, just for important smokes(parties and holidays).

Just a heads up, I've found that wind is a worse enemy to consistant temps than cold. If it gets cold and you don't wanna burn through pellets, just cover it up.
2017-03-17_10-17-09.jpg

OP
Jake Leibke
I guess the all important question is, what are you willing to spend? And how much would you use it? And would you use it during the Winter? And for how many people are you cooking?

Well.... buy once cry once right? Probably be using it a few times a week all year round cooking for a minimum of 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usmc99

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Yoder and Blazin Grill works. I have a traeger now but one of those 2 will be my next.

Whisky

WKR
Well.... buy once cry once right? Probably be using it a few times a week all year round cooking for a minimum of 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yoder YS640 with second shelf is what you should look at. Check out All Things BBQ online and also Scheels might be able to help you out to save on shipping if you have a store near by. They started carrying them in their home and hardware store in Fargo . Maybe they can transfer to a different location.

The pellets that have worked the best for me have been BBQr Delight

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Whisky

WKR
e7791287736a7897845111d11e901d4f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk