What sausage stuffer???

Alright guys, it's time I bought me a dedicated sausage stuffer. I have a great grinder, but when going to stuff 2# bags of grind, it's a PITA. I'd like to speed up the process. I typically do 50# at a time.

I see quite a few guys are using a 5# stuffer, but that means I'll be reloading a LOT. I'm leaning towards an 11# unit, but there are just so many different choices out there (from $100-well over $1000). For the most part, I will be using this to just stuff 1-2# bags of burger and sausage (for patties), and eventually actual sausage into casings, so electric is not needed, but I do prefer stainless and metal gears.

I don't wanna buy cheap stuff, but good functional equipment. Where would my money be best spent, and why do you recommend what you do.

This past year I switched from a screw drive type to a Cabelas commercial and have been very pleased.

No regrets as of yet.

Whisky

WKR
I use both Cabelas and LEM brand equipment and am happy with both. Can't go wrong with either. Also, i would definitely buy a bigger stuffer then 5#..... LEM has a 15lb SS stuffer for around $300. I use this model and it works good.

That said, if you ever get into doing a lot of stuffing with casings, it is a 2 person job. For this reason I am saving up for an electric stuffer from LEM for $660. Cabelas also sells an electric unit for a little cheaper, and you have to buy the motor and stuffer separate. You may not think you need electric now (and you don't), but if you got the cash, and intend to stuff more into casings down the road, you may want to consider going that route.

MtnMuley

WKR
15lb stuffers work great for summer sausage and kielbasa sized casings, but if you plan on making snack sticks, I'd highly recommend a 5 lber. I use a 15 lb Kitchener and 5 lb LEM and am happy with both for their uses.

Murdy

WKR
15lb stuffers work great for summer sausage and kielbasa sized casings, but if you plan on making snack sticks, I'd highly recommend a 5 lber. I use a 15 lb Kitchener and 5 lb LEM and am happy with both for their uses.

I assume the problem with running a small batch through larger equipment is too much of the product gets left in the mechanism of the stuffer? You can run a handful of burger behind whatever your stuffing to get it all out (and disassemble the machine and make yourself a burger patty if you want). I used to work in a commercial shop with much bigger equipment (lot more left in the mechanism) and we'd run bacon ends and piece through to push out the product.

(If that's not the problem, I'm curious what else is)

ckleeves

WKR
I haven't had much luck with the Cabelas stuffers, had 2 and the gears stripped out on both after just a few uses. Right now I'm just stuffing off the grinder.

Poser

WKR
Something to consider is whether or not you have a sink of sufficient size to clean a large stuffer. Anything over the 7lbs model and you need a large sink to handle the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
Something to consider is whether or not you have a sink of sufficient size to clean a large stuffer. Anything over the 7lbs model and you need a large sink to handle the job. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just set my stuffer next to the sink and stuff a wash cloth in the outty hole then fill with hot soapy water to wash then rinse with hot clean water. Cleans up just fine and no need to submerge unit in the sink basin.

A lot of times a guy can find a good old cast iron Enterprise stuffer at yard sales. These old cast iron jobs sure work better then most of the newer units.

Here's a pic of my old 6 quart Enterprise after I removed all the old finish and seasoned it with vegetable oil.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k256/muddydogs/Smoking/20161210_123822_zpseih6by4i.jpg

Roy68

WKR
11# stainless stuffer from Waltons Inc for us, and is at least 8 years old now. Home use only and probably 250# through it in December alone this year . Stuffing off a grinder is a pain in my experience if you are doing large quantities. When emptied it will leave about a 1/2 pound of meat in the throat and horn. We remove the horn with casing still on and use wooden dowels to push the last bit out into the casing. I believe if I had a larger stuffer I would have to clamp it to the table with the 11# I can steady and crank it while my wife deals with the packaging.

I did a write up earlier this year on what we do and what works for us and what doesn't. Maybe useful maybe not.

http://http://www.rokslide.com/forums/meat-and-trophy-care/57263-started-22-grinder-10-ago-photo-heavy.html

Last edited:

ghunter3

FNG
I have a cables 5 lb with metal gears. It works great the only problem with it is that I can only stuff one casing before I have to put more meat in it and that gets old quick. Buy one that suits your future needs

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
11# stainless stuffer from Waltons Inc for us, and is at least 8 years old now. Home use only and probably 250# through it in December alone this year . Stuffing off a grinder is a pain in my experience if you are doing large quantities. When emptied it will leave about a 1/2 pound of meat in the throat and horn. We remove the horn with casing still on and use wooden dowels to push the last bit out into the casing. I believe if I had a larger stuffer I would have to clamp it to the table with the 11# I can steady and crank it while my wife deals with the packaging.

I did a write up earlier this year on what we do and what works for us and what doesn't. Maybe useful maybe not.

http://http://www.rokslide.com/forums/meat-and-trophy-care/57263-started-22-grinder-10-ago-photo-heavy.html

Another vote for the 11# SS from Waltons. Love mine

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
If your not buying it to stuff actual casing and are buying it just for the ability to do 2# bags for the freezer because your grinder won't do it I would just invest in a new grinder. The $300 LEM goes on sale every now and then and is plenty strong enough to pack a 2# bag. That way its straight from the grinder to bag. No extra equipment to wash, no more touching of meat. Just my 2 cents. If you planning on using it to also stuff sausage then I would get at least the 11# option. I have a 20# cabalas unit that works pretty good but I get annoyed reloading it.

I used an old cast screwstuffer for years for sticks and summer sausage. The sticks were a pita! Almost not worth the effort. This year tried a cabelas stuffer that a buddy had. Worked great we did over 60lbs of sticks.

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
Alright guys, it's time I bought me a dedicated sausage stuffer. I have a great grinder, but when going to stuff 2# bags of grind, it's a PITA. I'd like to speed up the process. I typically do 50# at a time.

I see quite a few guys are using a 5# stuffer, but that means I'll be reloading a LOT. I'm leaning towards an 11# unit, but there are just so many different choices out there (from $100-well over $1000). For the most part, I will be using this to just stuff 1-2# bags of burger and sausage (for patties), and eventually actual sausage into casings, so electric is not needed, but I do prefer stainless and metal gears.

I don't wanna buy cheap stuff, but good functional equipment. Where would my money be best spent, and why do you recommend what you do.

I've had a the 11# weston for a few years now, it is absolutely worth it.

DBlack

FNG
In stead of a stuffier sounds like all you need is a stuffing tube an plate for your grinder. You can bag as you grind with out the use of the stuffing plate or grind then remove grinding plate then attach stuffing plate an tube. Not sure what grinder you have but check out LEM site they also sell a foot petal which is very handy for the stuffing process.