elk care

tommy

FNG
am going to colorado on a elk hunt this sep. and was planing to use a chest freezer in the back of my truck to get home(mo.) and WAS WONDERING HOW BIG OF FREEZER I WOULD NEED TO PUT A ELK IN IT (I WAS GOING TO USE COOLERS BUT WORRIED ABOUT THEFT AT THE TRAIL HEAD)

muddydogs

WKR
2 boned elk will fit in a 7 cubic freezer with room to spare, 4 bone in quarters and maybe 5 would fit with some creative placement.

rayporter

WKR
dry ice is generally easy to find out there to freeze the meat--is saves worry about a generator or finding a plug.

for over 30 years i have just put insulation in the front of the trailer and added dry ice to the meat and covered up the meat with gear[blankets, saddle pads, gear. the meat will be frozen in 30 hours and stay frozen another day.

Bar

Banned
No easy answer for the cooler being stolen. You hope it won't be, but there's low lifes out there.

I have a Jeep Wrangler with a soft top. I always worry about stuff being stolen.

I keep my coolers in the bed of my truck at the trailhead. I just run a cable lock through the handles and then through a tie down spot on my truck, they'd have to use bolt cutters to get them off. I'm not saying that can't happen, but if they're carrying around resources like that, it's likely they'd steal it out of your backyard too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
just thinking out loud here---i doubt anyone would steal a freezer. the genny for sure and maybe coolers.

they might get meat but i doubt it. far easier to use dry ice than keep a genny gassed up.

now a meat wagon would definitely be a target.

Beendare

WKR
It never crossed my mind my Igloo 5 day coolers ($22 at WM in off season) wiuld get stolen ...but you might be right if you are a Yeti guy.

Felix40

WKR
It never crossed my mind my Igloo 5 day coolers ($22 at WM in off season) wiuld get stolen ...but you might be right if you are a Yeti guy.

This. We run a cable lock through the handles so they would have to break the handle off to take them. Its not a guarantee but if they need my cooler that bad theres no stopping them.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I put one of my coolers in the back of my quad cab and the other chained in the bed. The first loads of meat go into the cooler in my truck which is secure. The last loads go into the rear cooler (and I go ahead an move the one in my truck to the bed as well and chain it in) because at that point I'm with my truck and driving home.