Meat Processors in Granby/Fraser, CO

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
I will be hunting elk in Colorado unit 28 this November and was wondering if anyone could direct me to someone who processes elk. Yes I am being optimistic about my chances. Thanks.

squirrel

WKR
I think you will have to go to Kremmling wild game... few miles north of town. Not sure if there are seasonal basement butchers in the towns you mention or not as I do all my own.

OP
H

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I'll check there. I normally process all my own meat also, but I will be in Colorado for the 3rd and 4th rifle season and if I am lucky enough to get something early I have no way to keep it refrigerated that long. I'll be hunting the 3rd season and my son the 4th.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks. I'll check there. I normally process all my own meat also, but I will be in Colorado for the 3rd and 4th rifle season and if I am lucky enough to get something early I have no way to keep it refrigerated that long. I'll be hunting the 3rd season and my son the 4th.

Are you still hunting during 3rd if you tag out or just killing time? If just killing time I'd still butcher it since I'm guessing its unlikely the processor would have it ready for you to pick up before heading home (hence you need to ship it). Get a hotel room with a kitchenette for a day and cut/pack it all then load into a couple coolers and drop dry ice on top, it'll freeze it solid. Bulk packed trim you can thaw in the fridge later to grind no problem. Might need to top off the dry ice before and after 4th rifle but still cheaper than a few hundred at the butcher + shipping.

squirrel

WKR
If freezing is all you need for your trip home that is easy to do if you have big good coolers and make some phone calls. As of right this minute (pre-hunting season) we could freeze for you for a few bucks to keep the Princess from bitching about the electric bill... She bitches a lot less if it is tarped and can't drain all over the packaged stuff (yeah I did that!)

By end of 4th I plan on having 3 dead elk ourselves so the freezer situation is never static that time of year, which is true in most hunting households. Most years if you get it frozen at that time of year and keep it in the shade it stays frozen, hell some years you have to butcher fast to KEEP IT FROM FREEZING! Make local connections and keep all options open, and connections are a lot easier to make if you drop a couple 20's and don't criticize the dog (better yet bring him the bones)...

OP
H

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
I am hunting the 3rd season and my son is hunting the 4th. I'll really be scouting for my son who will be hunting elk for the first time. I have never used dry ice and have no idea where to get it. Thanks for the advice.

OP
H

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
I really have no problem putting out some money for freezer space or sharing the meat. Making the right connections is the hard part. I'll keep working on it and I'll figure something out before I get to Colorado this fall. Thanks for you input.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am hunting the 3rd season and my son is hunting the 4th. I'll really be scouting for my son who will be hunting elk for the first time. I have never used dry ice and have no idea where to get it. Thanks for the advice.

Lots of the grocery stores carry it around here (I'd imagine one of the stores in silverthorne would worst case in terms of a drive). If you are looking to freeze meat with dry ice load in into the cooler, place some newspaper over it as a thermal break and then put the dry ice over top. The cold sinks and will freeze the contents. Also since the ice is on top you can more easily check to see if there is any left (but for the most part you want to keep it sealed up).

OP
H

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
Pods8, that is some great information. I will be looking.for a place to buy dry ice long before I come out. Thanks again for the insight.

cevin88

FNG
You could also save yourself some money and just have the butcher hang it till you are ready to head home. And still Bucher it yourself.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

squirrel

WKR
You can get dry ice at City Market in Granby, and I'm quite sure at the Safeway in Fraser (used to but havent been there in a while) Some guys bring a small freezer in their truck and plug in to my outdoor socket which makes it super convenient and the mess stays out of my old lady's stuff. cold and ready for meat then just load the whole damn thing up and drive home. If you have space it is a great way to do it.

This monstrosity sits on my porch all year and will hold a whole elk if boned out, and if frozen beforehand will hold it for a damn long time, especially in Nov.
Untitled by squirrel2012, on Flickr

Last edited: