Rotten Cooler HELP!

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
Guys,

Last Sept I accidentally left a de-fleshed elk femur in my Yeti 125 for approximately 2 weeks following when I processed all the meat. Needless to say it was beyond horrendous when I cracked it open and discovered I left it in there in the New Mexico temps. Ive scrubbed it out with dish soap, bleach and baking soda (separately and mixed in a few different combos. Also filled it up and soaked it in bleach water, baking soda water and a combo of that. I also left it open for several weeks in the sun to hopefully do something. Well it been almost a year and though the smell isn't near as bad as when I initially cracked it open, it still stinks. Any tips, advice, recipes you guys have for these situations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Try a vinegar combination of some sort. Regular white vinegar, or apple cider vinegar. A buddy of mine used an apple cider vinegar and listerine mouthwash combo to get some mold/odor out of a cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RallySquirrel

Lil-Rokslider
we use something like equal parts baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and dawn dish soap to wash skunk stink off the dogs. There is a chemical reaction that takes place at about the 10 minute mark so make sure you leave it on a while if you try it.

good luck

OP
CareyJAF50

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
we use something like equal parts baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and dawn dish soap to wash skunk stink off the dogs. There is a chemical reaction that takes place at about the 10 minute mark so make sure you leave it on a while if you try it.

good luck

Is that filled with water and add those equal part ingredients or??

rayporter

WKR
go to the meat department in a grocery and beg some of the cleaner they use to clean up the equipment at the end of the day. they may have two kinds of powdered cleaner so tell them what it is for. they can keep the odor down in a meat operation so it has to work. if you know of a slaughter house go there to ask.

i had some back in the 90's and it was beyond believable what it would do. i got it at Kroger.

KJH

WKR
Leave a opened bag of charcoal in there for a couple of weeks. Close it up. Then wash it out and rub the inside with vanilla. Leave it until you get ready to use it the next time. Then wipe it down with a wet rag. Done.

My son left a cooler of water and a catfish in a cooler for a week in the heat... barf. Then barf again.

That's where I learned this method. It worked.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Ozone works good. Put a hunting ozone unit in there or find a cleaning service who has an ozone water generator. Fill it up with ozone water and leave for 6 hours.

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure how this would work for a cooler, but I've used a mix on mouthwash and toothpaste (mixed to where its the consistency of hand cleaner) and leave it for a few minutes on my hands. Does wonders for getting the stink off after cleaning a bunch of fish.