Backpack bear hunting

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
What is the general time frame the hide needs to get to a cooler before its going to be no good?
How far is it suggested to skin and de-flesh in the field. Any tricks (salt?) to buy me more time?
My taxidermist says cut the feet off at the ankles and cut the head off at the base of the spine and he will do the rest. Which is fine, but Im wondering how much time that gives me to get it to him if Im a day or more hike into the mountains.

muddydogs

WKR
It all depends on the air temperature, if its freezing at night and cool during the day then you have a few days to get the hide out, if its 80+ during the day and only hitting 50 to 60 at night then you best get the hide in a cooler quick.

OP
W

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
Well bear season opens tomorrow and its HOT here. Still in the 90's and mid 80's in the mountains, and not getting cold at night.
Im doing weekend backpacking/scouting trips for elk. And now that bear season will be open Im bear hunting as well.
So, would you say get the hide out before the meat if I had to make more than one trip?

muddydogs

WKR
Thats your call, while a nice bear rug is cool I would never sacrifice meat for a hide so I would make sure the meat was taken care of before anything else. If its that hot you might want to think about how far in you are before pulling the trigger. With 90 degree day temps with what 50 ish night temps your probably going to loose meat if it takes you a couple days to get it out. If you can get everything out in 10 or so hours you will probably be alright but I would still find the shadiest darkest hole I could find to hang the quarters in while hauling the first load.

OP
W

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
Record heat again, going to be in the 100's all week. I'm going to hunt along a small river. So, my thought is to bring a few contractor trash bags and submerge the hide in one while I pack out meat.

ctwiggs1

FNG
My understanding of bear meat is that it's notoriously quicker to spoil than ungulate meat. I would focus on meat first always. If you miss out on a good rug, you can at least live with a clean conscious and a full freezer.

For my last bear I cut it up the way your taxidermist reccomended, then double bagged it contractor bags and froze it for two days before taking it to him. My taxidermist had to stitch up some of my knife work but other than that he said there were no problems.