back country saw

OP
mfllood3800
Yep, I've tried several folding blade saws in an attempt to save weight, but they have all broken on me. I keep going back to the Wyoming Saw, but I don't pack it while hunting. I leave it at the truck, then throw it in my pack for the return trip to the kill site after getting the first load out.

This is what I normally do. I haul out the qrtr or loins to the ATV and get into another kill kit I have that holds things like pulleys, more para cord and a saw. But this hunt ended differently. I was totally exhausted and wasn't gonna try to haul a load out, get the saw, come back and get the head off. I decided to just haul the head out and hang meat and come back in the morning. So I didn't have access to stuff I normally use.
That got me thinking I really want something to severe the spine in my pack kill kit at all times.
My Sven is the 15". I was just looking at my Wyoming Saw and that blade would almost mount into my saw if I had a 17-18" one (Not made)

I saw the little ring finger bush craft cable type saws. But for like $10 I just don't see them being durable ?

Guess I will carry a fixed blade (serves more than a single purpose- so it qualifies for pack weight) and severe the vertebrae with it if I ever end up in this boat again

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That got me thinking I really want something to severe the spine in my pack kill kit at all times. Guess I will carry a fixed blade (serves more than a single purpose- so it qualifies for pack weight) and severe the vertebrae with it if I ever end up in this boat again

The vertebrae at the base of the skull is just a joint. Any blade can cut everything away, and then you just have to twist the head back and forth to "snap" it and it breaks free. You can even do legs the same way. The only time you'd need a saw is for skull-capping. But even then, you could cape it out and remove the lower jaw and only carry the rack with the top half and you still wouldn't need a saw.

KJH

WKR
I'll have a Wyoming saw in my camp that will go to the kill site after the first trip.

One thing I always keep in my pack is a very sturdy drywall jab saw. I use it for anything and everything and it will get the antlers off just fine, but the short blade make a for a lot of strokes. They don't fold and are bullet proof if you get the right one. Very little weight and cut small trees and branches very well too. Here's the one I carry in my pack: Kobalt Drywall Saw Double Sided Hardened and Tempered Steel Blade 6 in Blade. | eBay

Its very "toothy" and aggressive. I highly recommend it.

JLH208

WKR
Would carry outdoor edge if I was going to, but I don't. Knife for everything, Havalon Piranta and Benchmade fixed blade. Every joint can be cut, we bone quarters and take caped skull without bottom jaw.

- Jesse

Saintsix

FNG
I started with the Wyoming and I liked that saw and the 2 blades bone and wood, but it’s heavy. it now sits under my truck seat like 208Hushn. I picked up a outdoor edge griz saw that weighs in around 5oz. I only bring it for skull cap or pelvic. If you planned on doing fire wood I wouldn’t pick this saw.

I started with the Wyoming and I liked that saw and the 2 blades bone and wood, but it’s heavy. it now sits under my truck seat like 208Hushn. I picked up a outdoor edge griz saw that weighs in around 5oz. I only bring it for skull cap or pelvic. If you planned on doing fire wood I wouldn’t pick this saw.

Does that outdoor edge griz work ok for skull capping? I would like to get away from the wyoming saw, but did not think the outdoor edge would work very good for the skull cap of an elk.

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
Went through several brands till I found the last saw I’ll ever own. The knives of Alaska bone saw. Weight is nothing and it will cut through anything! So easy to use and no sore forearm from a weird angle!