How to keep ice in cooler longer

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
We are doing a 13 day backpack hunt coming up in 3 weeks. We will have several bug coolers to hopefully fill with elk and bear.

The coolers will be locked up in trucks at trailhead. Wed like to not have to leave to go to town in order to restock on ice.

What do y'all do in order to make the ice last as long as possible? I have a yeti but there will be several different kinds of coolers.

I've hear block ice,dry ice and adding salt to the ice so far

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
I wouldnt add salt. It will do the opposite of what you want. Just fill all the coolers to the top a few days before you leave then refill them again the day you leave. Try to park in the shade. You can freeze some gallong jugs in addition to the ice. They will last longer.

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
I would think block ice or frozen gallon jugs would last longer than cubed ice? Also, put a few sleeping bags and a tarp over your coolers to insulate them further. Take a look at the cooler ratings before buying them.

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldnt add ice. It will do the opposite of what you want. Just fill all the coolers to the top a few days before you leave then refill them again the day you leave. Try to park in the shade. You can freeze some gallong jugs in addition to the ice. They will last longer.
What you mean you wouldn't add ice?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Block ice always lasts longer. Also, filling your cooler to the top in eliminating air space. Air space helps warm ice and excellerates melting.

Also, outside temps matter too. Look for cool shady places to stow your coolers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zoo Keeper

Lil-Rokslider
Block ice, covered, & parked in shade is about the best combo with out a ton of hassle.

I use a lot of frozen gallon milk jugs...works pretty well. Just be careful moving them when frozen, the plastic doesn't hold up great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7-Pointers

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldnt add ice. It will do the opposite of what you want. Just fill all the coolers to the top a few days before you leave then refill them again the day you leave. Try to park in the shade. You can freeze some gallong jugs in addition to the ice. They will last longer.

I think he meant I wouldn't add "salt" to the ice. Salt will melt the ice (ie. salting the roads in winter).

Adding salt to an ice water bath does help cool beer faster though because the salted ice water will be colder than unsalted ice water :)

Brendan

WKR
Pre-cool all coolers to get the insulation cooled. Then add Block ice or frozen jugs first. Fill all space in between the blocks with cubes until you can barely close the lid. Cover them with sleeping bags, blankets, whatever you can, park in the shade, and don't open them until you need them...

My Yeti 160 will last two weeks no problem this way.

MtnMuley

WKR
I've always filled a day before with crushed and topped off the day I leave. Always parked in the shade if possible and left the drain plug out. Never had a problem keeping plenty of ice to cool the meat even after a week.

Griz34

Lil-Rokslider
Pre-cool all coolers to get the insulation cooled. Then add Block ice or frozen jugs first. Fill all space in between the blocks with cubes until you can barely close the lid. Cover them with sleeping bags, blankets, whatever you can, park in the shade, and don't open them until you need them...

My Yeti 160 will last two weeks no problem this way.

This is what I do, pre-cooling the cooler makes a big difference especially with the expensive coolers like yeti.

jdk81

FNG
Would you guys use dry ice on the top of the coolers? I've heard a few recommendations of people using this method for taking their elk back home. It is supposed to help keep the ice frozen and basically halt the melting process.. Will it last a week with a cooler fully packed with ice? Or would you just use a form of block ice with bagged ice to fill the air gaps?

Thanks

KJH

WKR
If you can find a freezer big enough... you can put about 2-3" of water in your cooler and then put the cooler in that freezer. The ice is in block form without any air and stays quite a while. I guess the cooler is pre-chilled that way too like mentioned above.

I haven't done this personally, but a couple friends do this at their elk camp/ old barn with power and use small chest freezer one cooler at a time when they get there. Then they cover the ice with a towel and crushed newspaper. I remember them telling me that when unopened and kept in the shade it lasts an easy week. Its cold and ready when they start to butcher their elk.

I thought it was weird that they take a big bundle of old newspapers to their camp, but I suppose it makes sense as insulation if they need to keep ice for a long time.