Add your favorite wild-game recipe!!

I'll start the thread with one of my favorites!!

Smoked Bacon wrapped backstraps/tenderloin!
It's best with antelope and elk but will work with any blackstrap/tenderloin!!

Enjoy this delicious meal with grilled asparagus and Rosemary Smashed potatoes!!

4b1df364274046206982fc1cf8735ec8.png

This blackstrap/tenderloin is slow cooked over hardwood coals and Texas Gold blend smoke.

Here's how:
1 antelope (any wild-game) blackstrap/loin
1 package thin sliced hickory bacon
3/4 cup sweet red wine (I use Barefoot Sweet Red Blend)
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tsp mustard powder
Splash Worcestershire
2 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs honey
1 tsp sea salt
Fresh thyme
Fresh Rosemary
Montreal steak seasoning

Marinate meat in first 6 ingredients for 1-2 hrs. Sprinkle liberally with steak seasoning, fresh thyme and rosemary. Wrap with bacon and cook over medium heat (300-400) on charcoal grill until internal temp hits 140. Cover with foil in a baking dish and rest 7 minutes. I used an A-Maze-N smoke tube on the grill with Texas blend pellets and chunks of mesquite and hickory to compliment the meat!

be4c6b5e80eaf5012d035e85f79e3062.png

Rosemary Smashed Potatoes
* 6-8 mdm potatoes (I used 2 red, 2 blue and 3 Yukon gold potatoes)
* 2 tbs olive oil
* 1 1/2 tabs butter
* 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
* Chopped fresh chives
* 1 tsp garlic powder
* 1tsp onion powder
* 2tsp sea salt
* 1-2tbs pepper
Directions:
1. Roughly peel and chop the potatoes into quarters. Boil the potatoes until tender while the tenderloin is resting.
2. In a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat, melt the butter and add olive oil. Add the potatoes. Using a wooden spoon or potato masher, smash the potatoes coarsely, adjusting their texture as necessary. Mix in the rosemary chives, onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt and pepper. Cook until browned on one side and then flip.
3. Serve tenderloin with potatoes and a side of grilled asparagus

Grilled asparagus:

I large clump of cleaned asparagus
1 large gallon zip loc baggie
2-3 tbs olive oil
1-2 tsp fine sea salt
2 tbs balsamic vinegar

Directions:
Mix and shake all ingredients above in zip-loc baggie and let marinade for 1 hour but less is fine.

While tenderloin is resting:
Pour contents of baggie onto very hot grill basket. (400° plus)
Stir fry moving quickly for 5-7 minutes until just limp. Serve hot!

896394cbfc47637a53acd5b55b01b646.jpg

Post up your favorite wild-game recipe!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Best new one I've made recently is the shank Moroccan Tangine from Hank Shaw's "Buck Buck Moose" I'll never grind shanks again.

OP
danmayland
Best new one I've made recently is the shank Moroccan Tangine from Hank Shaw's "Buck Buck Moose" I'll never grind shanks again.

Can you provide the recipe?!

Yep ive also been using the shanks whole instead of grinding. Been saving a ton of time in processing but do miss making sausage....

KJH

WKR
This isn't a field recipe for a ultralight sheep or backpack hunt... but it is a favorite for a fly-in moose/caribout hunt where we have a few more comforts in camp. I'm sure there a 100 variations that can be done with it based on what you have available.

Ingredients
2.5 lbs of fresh meat cut into bite sized cubes. (Whatever pieces you feel like using)
Cooking oil or leftover bacon grease
1 fresh onion cut up in 1/2 inch slices
1 package of dehydrated mushrooms. (Rehydrate before using)
1/3 cup bourbon
salt and pepper
6 oz. paper carton of half and half (frozen before we leave)

Directions
You'll need one skillet and a lid if available. Brown the meat cubes in a skillet with oil or bacon grease. Add the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper to your liking. Add onion. When the cubes are browned and the onion is starting to get translucent but not cooked through, drain the remaining grease from the skillet. Add the bourbon to the meat and onions. Turn the heat to a low setting and let it cook down at a simmer for a little while then add the mushrooms. Pour in all the half and half and cover the skillet. Season again with salt and pepper. Turn the heat to the lowest usable setting and let simmer for about a half hour while your doing other camp chores. Add a little water if it cooks down too much.

It makes a tender meal that you don't need a knife to eat. The gravy is great. You can mix in some cooked noodles if you want or eat it over some type of potatoes.

Its a heavy meal but really hits the spot after a day of being wet and cold. It's one of my favorite meals with a cup of coffee when it starts to get cold at night.

Enjoy~

This sounds stupid as I type it, but one of the best things I have made myself was a oven fried rio grande turkey. Super simple:
Ingredients:
1 Rio Turkey
1/4c red wine vinegar
1/2 sweet onion
1tsp of chopped garlic
Italian bread crumbs
Flour
6-8 eggs
Poultry seasoning of choice (I am a simple guy and went with just salt and pepper to taste)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 425
1)debone turkey
2) cut all meat into strips
3) marinade in a mixture of chopped onion, minced garlic, 1/4c red wine vinegar, and cover all the way in water. I did this in a ziploc bag and let it sit in the fridge overnight.
4) beat eggs in flat Tupperware
5) dredge strips in flour
6) dip strips in egg
7) coat strips in bread crumbs
8) place on oiled baking sheet
9) bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown on outside

I wanted to try this with a garlic aoili, but I didn't have the ingredients to make it.

OP
danmayland
This isn't a field recipe for a ultralight sheep or backpack hunt... but it is a favorite for a fly-in moose/caribout hunt where we have a few more comforts in camp. I'm sure there a 100 variations that can be done with it based on what you have available.

Ingredients
2.5 lbs of fresh meat cut into bite sized cubes. (Whatever pieces you feel like using)
Cooking oil or leftover bacon grease
1 fresh onion cut up in 1/2 inch slices
1 package of dehydrated mushrooms. (Rehydrate before using)
1/3 cup bourbon
salt and pepper
6 oz. paper carton of half and half (frozen before we leave)

Directions
You'll need one skillet and a lid if available. Brown the meat cubes in a skillet with oil or bacon grease. Add the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper to your liking. Add onion. When the cubes are browned and the onion is starting to get translucent but not cooked through, drain the remaining grease from the skillet. Add the bourbon to the meat and onions. Turn the heat to a low setting and let it cook down at a simmer for a little while then add the mushrooms. Pour in all the half and half and cover the skillet. Season again with salt and pepper. Turn the heat to the lowest usable setting and let simmer for about a half hour while your doing other camp chores. Add a little water if it cooks down too much.

It makes a tender meal that you don't need a knife to eat. The gravy is great. You can mix in some cooked noodles if you want or eat it over some type of potatoes.

Its a heavy meal but really hits the spot after a day of being wet and cold. It's one of my favorite meals with a cup of coffee when it starts to get cold at night.

Enjoy~

Wow. Drooling!!! 🤤

OP
danmayland
This sounds stupid as I type it, but one of the best things I have made myself was a oven fried rio grande turkey. Super simple:
Ingredients:
1 Rio Turkey
1/4c red wine vinegar
1/2 sweet onion
1tsp of chopped garlic
Italian bread crumbs
Flour
6-8 eggs
Poultry seasoning of choice (I am a simple guy and went with just salt and pepper to taste)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 425
1)debone turkey
2) cut all meat into strips
3) marinade in a mixture of chopped onion, minced garlic, 1/4c red wine vinegar, and cover all the way in water. I did this in a ziploc bag and let it sit in the fridge overnight.
4) beat eggs in flat Tupperware
5) dredge strips in flour
6) dip strips in egg
7) coat strips in bread crumbs
8) place on oiled baking sheet
9) bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown on outside

I wanted to try this with a garlic aoili, but I didn't have the ingredients to make it.

That sounds amazing! Thank you for sharing!

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Can you provide the recipe?!

I can when I get home in a month or so. That book (Buck Buck Moose) is a wealth of information though.

Cooking an Elk front shoulder roast in the Treager.
Marinaded it for 2 hrs, then wiped it dry and beat the crap out of it with a tenderizer hammer. Reinstalled it in the marinade, then sprinkled the secret rub from a friend of mine on it. wrapped it in bacon.
Put it in the grill and smoked it for 30 minutes then cranked the heat up on high and let it soak in the bacon juice.
Pics to follow
bded60bbc19c9cab5d27597c50c970a1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
danmayland
Cooking an Elk front shoulder roast in the Treager.
Marinaded it for 2 hrs, then wiped it dry and beat the crap out of it with a tenderizer hammer. Reinstalled it in the marinade, then sprinkled the secret rub from a friend of mine on it. wrapped it in bacon.
Put it in the grill and smoked it for 30 minutes then cranked the heat up on high and let it soak in the bacon juice.
Pics to follow
bded60bbc19c9cab5d27597c50c970a1.jpg

There's no such thing as Secrets on the slide! Come on post up that rub recipe

There's no such thing as Secrets on the slide! Come on post up that rub recipe

This one will stay a secret, cause don't have a clue what he puts in it. He does this for competition BBQ's. In fact he was just in Kanab Western festivals last month and took 1st place in chicken, 3rd or 4th in beef and 1St Over all. So yea, he aint gonna give it up

I will say it has some kick to it at first but it doesn't stay hot, just kind of kicks the door down and that's it.

This roast I did with the marinade and his rub, was unbelievable. I am wondering if I mislabeled the package, and instead of a frt shoulder roast it might have been a back strap roast, hahaha yep it was that tender.

He told me next time to cook it in a bag with a beef stock or beef consommé or even wrap it in foil with parkay blue bottle-what ever the heck that is.

If I get some more info out of him I'll ask him if I can share it here.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Soak backstrap in a ziplock bag with salt water for 2 days(draining the water and adding fresh salt water each day). Run a hole through the center of the backstrap with a knife just big enough to get Conecuh sausage in it. Then cut the backstrap the thickness of a filet mignon. Wrap the filet with Wright's brand bacon. Season to taste and grill to your desired temp.

I usually cook Zateran's long grain and wild rice with this.

My favorite meal.

OP
danmayland
Soak backstrap in a ziplock bag with salt water for 2 days(draining the water and adding fresh salt water each day). Run a hole through the center of the backstrap with a knife just big enough to get Conecuh sausage in it. Then cut the backstrap the thickness of a filet mignon. Wrap the filet with Wright's brand bacon. Season to taste and grill to your desired temp.

My favorite meal.

Awesome! 🤤 Thank you for sharing

My favorite meal.

That seams like a long time to be brining something with a large surface area but not a lot of mass like a backstrap. Does it turn out pretty salty? Or maybe your not using a very salty mixture that would be as strong as a normal brine?

N2TRKYS

WKR
That seams like a long time to be brining something with a large surface area but not a lot of mass like a backstrap. Does it turn out pretty salty? Or maybe your not using a very salty mixture that would be as strong as a normal brine?

I thought it would be salty, but it's not. I started doing this with duck, but I do the duck for about 3-4 days.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
tenderloin.jpg
t2.jpg

This is an extremely simple dish that my wife and I love. We prefer venison however we have used wild hog tenderloin and found it to be pretty good also. Hopefully in a couple weeks after our Newfoundland trip we will be able to try this with Moose!

Marinate tenderloin or backstrap in Italian salad dressing overnight (optional, however, preferable). Brown tenderloin or backstrap in a skillet. Remove from skillet and sauté peppers and onions in the skillet with oil. When the veggies are almost cooked add the meat to the veggies to ensure that it is warm.

Served in a tortilla as a fajita by itself with a little hot sauce is amazing. This results in a meal that is very easy for camping trips or quick evenings. When we are at home we also like to add black beans and rice in the fajitas.