Hanging elk in the backcountry

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
We are hiking in 6-8 miles and it appears the weather is going to be fairly cool on our elk hunting trip to Colorado. Highs in the mid 50's, lows at freezing level. I'm wondering if we get one down, quartered and hung in the shade over a creek, how many days should the been fine?

The nighttime temps should be right about freezing. I'm thinking they would be fine in that environment for their entire curing process as long as it doesn't heat up past mid 50's during the day.

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With those temps it will be fine. With it getting so cool at night I wouldn't worry about highs in the 60's as long as the meat is in the shade and not on a south facing hill.

WyoElk

WKR
Yup, I wouldn't stress about it with those nighttime temperatures. As mentioned above, just keep it in the shade.

OP
B

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
With those temps it will be fine. With it getting so cool at night I wouldn't worry about highs in the 60's as long as the meat is in the shade and not on a south facing hill.

That's what I was thinking but wanted to double check myself. Thanks guys!

The past few days i have packed out a few elk that were not properly taken care of. It bugs me so bad to come into a camp to pack out an animal an the meat is not taken care of. 1. Get the bone out if you can yes it's easier to pack with it in but it holds a ton of heat. 2. Get the hide off it will hold heat as well 3. Use game bags and cover the entire leg as far up as possible flies will lay eggs on it and maggots will hatch within days 4. If possible put it in trash bags and in the creek that's a free freezer. If you have to leave it on the mountain get it elevated and in the shade. I also cover all my meat with pepper it's supposed to help keep the flies away.