Freezer alarm

Any recommendations on a model?
I thinking about the wired kind, but I think I want to drill a hole in the lid of the freezer and insert it and then seal it.

Bughalli

WKR
Curious what you settle on. I have had folks leave the freezer open a couple times over the years. So far minimal issues, but I know other guys who lost the whole freezer of meat because someone unplugged the freezer when looking for an open plug in the garage and didn't realize what they did. Thus, I would like to get one at some point.

OP
C
Curious what you settle on. I have had folks leave the freezer open a couple times over the years. So far minimal issues, but I know other guys who lost the whole freezer of meat because someone unplugged the freezer when looking for an open plug in the garage and didn't realize what they did. Thus, I would like to get one at some point.

Ordered one on Amazon so I'll let you know on the install.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a corded one (one that rated well on amazon, don't recall which off hand), I just slip the cord through on the hinge side of the seal. Seems to work fine. I'd be fine with a well reviewed wireless also.

OP
C
I have a corded one (one that rated well on amazon, don't recall which off hand), I just slip the cord through on the hinge side of the seal. Seems to work fine. I'd be fine with a well reviewed wireless also.

Any issues with frost around the seal where the wire goes though?

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I just ordered a freezer alarm myself off amazon. It has two wireless probes that will cover both my freezers. I'll report how it works.
I had a freezer die and go unnoticed about 5 years ago. Lucky it happened early fall so it was mostly empty.

AdamW

WKR
Had to move mine for a remodel and threw the GFI circuit running a saw off the same circuit. I'm adding one to my freezer. It has one but only when it has power to it. What? Thanks for the reminder! Someone posted on instagram a couple years ago that their breaker tripped and they were gone hunting for 2 weeks. Came back to 2 freezers full of lost wild game. The stuff is literally priceless, I don't want to lose any!

OP which one did you go with off Amazon? I want something that will beep until I turn it off or the batteries die. I don't want it to beep for 2 hours while I'm out running errands then come back and it's silent while my freezer is dead.

Last edited:

gumbl3

WKR
Won't solve everything, but I have my night shop light on the same circuit as the freezers. It at least tells me immediately if I have lost power.

I do kind of the same but with a jambox, it's always on in the garage and if it's not I know the gfi most likely tripped