What kind of rope and tarp?

Hey there fellas!

I'm curious as to what kind of rope would work well for stringing up a deer by it's neck to skin & quarter it off a tree?

Also thinking about packing some tarp to place it on while I gut it and possibly wrap it up in for transport back to camp. Any suggestions on kind of tarp?

Tha is in advance 😁

rayporter

WKR
a heavy deer will need a double layer of para cord. at home i use 1/4 nylon rope to hang em by the head but i dont carry that in my pack. imitation para cord will break.

your problem will come as you try to lift and pull at the same time so take a couple carabiners to rig a pully system so you can get it high enough.

i gut them on the ground and a tarp would be of little help if dragging to camp or to a 4x4.
if i have to carry it far in the field i cut the legs off with the hide on and hang them first. after that it is easy to peel the hide on the ground and get the rest of the meat off. then the legs can be skinned last. in this case, gut it last to get the goodies out.

at home i hang the gutted carcass and skin first [ which i assume you wish to do] then debone from the head down. when finished the back bone is all that is hanging. i cut the ribs off last with limb cutters.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not really worth the hassle to try and hang it up to do all that if the end result is you are quartering it up. If you learn to do it gutless you can have it skinned and quartered pretty quickly with it lying right on the ground.