Skinning large animals in the field - gutting incision or back incision.

When you flip it is the back or belly the down side? I flip it with the back being the part that rolls across the ground, unless the skinned hide is overlapped it seems like the skinned section of the spine is getting some ground contact. I found I needed to watch out for that when I tried it out this way where as when I skin from the belly as I normally do (and then remove all the meat exactly as you do) that isn't a concern at all since its rolling over with an intact hide under the spine area. Just trying to feel out this method more.

Since all the meat is now removed from the "skinned" side, it doesn't matter if it comes into contact with the ground and I don't worry about it. Everything on the other side of the spine is still covered with skin and I just flop the completely trimmed side right over into the dirt.

Main reason to skin from the back is because the initial cuts are easier. The spine will usually be up out of the dirt, and I make the cuts on the top side of the legs. It's also a better method if you are keeping a cape, since you just need to make the down cut behind the legss. With a belly cut, you have to get down in the dirt a little bit more. On something small (deer), it's not of big of a deal since you can roll them on their backs anyway. Honestly... do whatever floats your boat though.

5milesback... why do you case skin the legs? Trying to limit hair on the meat?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Since all the meat is now removed from the "skinned" side, it doesn't matter if it comes into contact with the ground and I don't worry about it. Everything on the other side of the spine is still covered with skin

If your cut is perfectly on the spine yes but if a little to the down side of the spin then part of the backstrap is exposed. Also when you go to start skinning that second side don't you fine there is dirt stuck along the cut edge you have to be careful with as you begin skinning it? That's the issue I was seeing with my 1 time trying it so far.

I can see if you are caping to do one route or another, I just do euro mounts to date so I haven't messed with capping one out properly.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Tube skin you called it. Case skin I guess is a trapping term, but same thing.

I don't know. I prefer as few cuts as possible. When I shot this bull I wasn't intending on mounting him, but he had the most beautiful cape I think I've ever seen. So I definitely was going to take the cape regardless and sell it to the taxi if I didn't mount him. I did decide to mount him because of that cape though. Funny thing is.......when I picked up the mount the taxi was complaining about all the sewing he had to do around the leg area because of "all the cuts" down there. After seeing the mount and hearing this, I told him "That isn't my cape.......mine was tubed out without all the cuts......and mine had jet black mane hair about 8" long". Have no idea where my cape is, but won't be going back to him again. I took my daughter's bull to a different taxi this year and he uses tamper proof tags on the capes so you know you're getting your cape.

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
If your gutting it then start at the gut incision but why waist the time gutting? I prefer to start my skinning from the belly as the quarters just seem to come off easier then when working from the back but if its a big elk that drops straight down I don't expend the energy trying to turn it over and just work from the back down.

I for the life of me can't figure out why anyone would gut an animal first if there doing to quarter it, get the skin and quarters off as soon as possible then if you want any of the guts open them up and get what you want. Way less mess and hassle getting the meat off first.

I also can't figure out why anyone would drag a deer or elk much over 100 yards, in the time it takes to drag something out and fight with logs and rocks I can have the animal skinned, quartered and packed out plus you have to cut it up somewhere so why not in the field were the mess can be left right there.
I've never understood why anyone leaves the bones in (unless you're just dead set on certain bone in cuts). You can have it deboned and in bags faster than gutting and dragging it 100 yards. Nothing deer size or smaller has ever taken me more than an hour to fully bone out on the ground, and that includes sneaking in the backside for tenderloins and sometimes cutting in the liver side to get liver and heart.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've never understood why anyone leaves the bones in (unless you're just dead set on certain bone in cuts). You can have it deboned and in bags faster than gutting and dragging it 100 yards. Nothing deer size or smaller has ever taken me more than an hour to fully bone out on the ground, and that includes sneaking in the backside for tenderloins and sometimes cutting in the liver side to get liver and heart.

I always leave the bone in, much easier to deal with quarters and I much prefer ribs (moose), on the bone. I have boned out some game in the field, one sheep and a goat, but I’d rather leave the bone in for convenience sake, especially if I’m going to be in the field for upwards of a week after the kill, and moving the meat around a lot. It’s also much easier to keep clean if you’re going to be pulling it out of the game bags to hang, and to allow air to get to it for a good crust to form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
I always leave the bone in, much easier to deal with quarters and I much prefer ribs (moose), on the bone. I have boned out some game in the field, one sheep and a goat, but I’d rather leave the bone in for convenience sake, especially if I’m going to be in the field for upwards of a week after the kill, and moving the meat around a lot. It’s also much easier to keep clean if you’re going to be pulling it out of the game bags to hang, and to allow air to get to it for a good crust to form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good bags hold a shape well enough and breathe. I can confidently say deboned meat in a good bag cools way faster than meat sitting on a hot bone. But I could definitely see the advantage if you're gonna stay out there for a while. Definitely would lose a lot more crusted meat if you have it chunked off the bone, thereby significantly increasing surface area.

Read1t48

WKR
I'm normally solo and I start at the tail and make a cut all the way to the base of the antlers. Then I skin one side down and debone it all. Then I flip it over and do the same on the other side. Then I reach in and remove the tenderloins on both sides. If I want the cape, it's already half done so I can easily finish that out. Never need to cut them open. But if you wanted to get the heart and liver, it's a lot easier now anyway.

This is exactly what I do.