Rolling Rib Meat

rbljack

WKR
Listened to one of my podcasts the other day and heard a new term/technique to process an animal in the field called "Rolling the Rib meat". They talked about it and say it can be done when using the gutless method. I pulled up a video on you tube about it, and I like the concept. For deer in the past, I typically gut the animal and take out the slices of meat between the ribs.

Using this method, all the rib meat will come off in one piece. Not sure how I would go about it if using the gutless method, but seems that it would work as long as you follow the technique correctly...

Just wanted to share this technique and pass the info along. Its a process I am filing away in my head for my next session!

If you do a search on youtube, you will see a video about it, but there wasn't much content besides one or two videos that I could find in my quick search.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Gutless or not it would be the same way. You can cut into the upper section of the animal ahead of the diaphragm without hitting anything of concern, as you get towards the rear ribs be more careful.

I am familiar with what you are referencing but haven't bothered with it. I fillet off the slab from the rib surface and then I cut out a strip of rib meat to check the thickness. If its like 1/8" of meat on a smaller animal then I skip that and just get out the heart. Elk are usually 1/2" or thicker so I take those off skipping any that are shot up. One thing to consider even if gutless on an elk is at the end consider taking the flank muscle off (which opens up the gut sack) that can be a thick slab of meat on an elk.

I've done the rib roll plenty of times on moose. The one caveat is there must be enough thickness of meat over the outside of each rib (bone) to be worth filleting off the bone. Done correctly, all the meat is sequentially removed from between the ribs and over the ribs...rolling the accumulated sheet of meat as work progresses. When it's finally cut free, you'll be holding a rolled-up 'loaf' of rib meat which can be dropped in a bag.