Ridiculous problem!!!

Successfully hunted moose in Alberta (took first archery bull of the season) which has been aged, cut and vac packed by a local butcher there in Canada. But the butcher, despite being paid in full, refuses to ship the meat to me. Says it's not a service he provides. Thanks for telling me in advance asshat! So the outfitter I used said he would ship it to me. Months later now he says he wants to send it to me in California by giving it to a hunter who is driving to Canada. I am completely uncomfortable with a stranger taking possession of my meat. How do I know I am getting my well-aged cuts and not the other hunter's usage do moose? Secondly this other hunter lives in Ukiah, 9 hours north of me. The logistical headaches there are obvious. So now I'm looking for a way to take control of the situation but the commercial carriers (UPS, FED-X, etc.) are no help. The won't touch it. Tried to get the outfitter to stick em in waxed cartons with Styrofoam wall inserts and dry ice but he's not very helpful. I've had cut bison shipped tome twice with no grief but getting my moose meat is becoming a real pain in the ass. Anyone gotta clever solution. Meat is still at the butcher shop. Canada Post seems reasonable but requires someone complete the Customs form. So frustrated. Oh and the outfitter is heading to Thailand for six months soon so he's no help. Sad ending to a wonderful hunt.

colonel00

WKR
That sucks but you didn't have this worked out ahead of time or before you left to come home? Even if the butcher could/would ship the meat, you'd still have to fill out the customs forms and all of that, right? Also, I understand your concerns about having another hunter transporting your meat, sorta, but even if the butcher or outfitter were going to ship it to you, you still wouldn't know if it was truly yours or not, right? It sucks but having someone bring it within 9 hours drive is much better the other options. If you are really worried about it, I'd suggest renting a car and doing a cannonball run up there maybe over a long holiday weekend coming up.

That said, I'm in San Jose. Around Christmas, I'll be heading down to the LA area. I'd be happy to help with a partial transport if I can. How much meat are we talking about? Unfortunately I'm here on a temp basis so I just have the freezer in my apartment fridge. Not much space. Still, there are quite a few folks on here that I bet we could figure something out.

One other thought, if you have the other hunter bring the meat down, ask the butcher to give you an inventory of what you should expect and have him mark all of your meat accordingly.

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
That sucks but you didn't have this worked out ahead of time or before you left to come home? Even if the butcher could/would ship the meat, you'd still have to fill out the customs forms and all of that, right? Also, I understand your concerns about having another hunter transporting your meat, sorta, but even if the butcher or outfitter were going to ship it to you, you still wouldn't know if it was truly yours or not, right? It sucks but having someone bring it within 9 hours drive is much better the other options. If you are really worried about it, I'd suggest renting a car and doing a cannonball run up there maybe over a long holiday weekend coming up.

That said, I'm in San Jose. Around Christmas, I'll be heading down to the LA area. I'd be happy to help with a partial transport if I can. How much meat are we talking about? Unfortunately I'm here on a temp basis so I just have the freezer in my apartment fridge. Not much space. Still, there are quite a few folks on here that I bet we could figure something out.

One other thought, if you have the other hunter bring the meat down, ask the butcher to give you an inventory of what you should expect and have him mark all of your meat accordingly.

Thanks Brad. Very nice gesture. I was told (when in Canada) that this would not be a problem by the outfitter. Now he's saying it's never been requested before which i don't believe because 100% of his clientele are from the States. Am trying to locate a transit company but there are not a lot of choices in Beaverlodge. Beavers outnumber humans 50 to 1 here. Very remote area.

EDIT: Just spoke to the butcher...outfitter picked up my meat last month. This is crazy.

Last edited:
Can't say for sure what's going on up there but it sounds pretty much like the outfitter and/or the butcher are giving you the go-away runaround. If they wanted (as in really wanted) you to have your meat, they would go out of their way a bit to help you. They might want some money for that of course. But if they were honest and willing to help, you wouldn't be hearing what you're hearing. My experienced guess is you may possibly not see your meat. I say this because of your statement: "Now he's saying it's never been requested before which i don't believe because 100% of his clientele are from the States." Moose meat is almost always going to be valued and shipped home...in full or in part...by a successful hunter. Maybe not 100% of the time, but a clear majority of moose hunters want SOME meat.

It sounds to me like the outfitter wants to avoid dealing with meat or meat shipments period. Something bad and deceptive is happening. I hope I'm wrong but I'm betting I'm not. Good luck.

xziang

WKR
"EDIT: Just spoke to the butcher...outfitter picked up my meat last month. This is crazy."

WTF and now the outfitter is going to be out of town for 6 months. Now the question is who actually has the meat in their possession? To bad you don't know someone there to call their bluff and have John Doe on their way to pick it up. Then just split the meat with that person, better than those two yahoo's getting any of it.

Good luck..

If it were me that this was happening to, The first thing I would do is contact the Provincial Fish and Game Officers Fish and Wildlife Officers and get their thoughts on how to proceed. In this particular case, the last thing I would do is go online and seek advice.

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
I guess the thing that is really bothering me is I came to view my Guide and Outfitter as buddies. I sent them 3 different Rhinehart targets (they don't have retailers for Rhinehart in Canada) as gifts after my trip and I tipped generously when I was there, even treated em to meals out during my stay. I offered to help em out with some free marketing services (that's my business) as friends. Now I am thinking it was all one-sided. Of course I am prepared to pay for the service of sending me my meat but that seems less and less likely now. It's upsetting...they seemed so cool when I was up there and thought i was more than just another paying client. Not quite ready to call em out publicly just yet.

As for seeking advice online...I know we have quite a few Canadians here and thought they might be able to offer some helpful insight.

Last edited:

ljalberta

WKR
(they don't have retailers for Rhinehart in Canada)

We certainly do have Rhinehart retailers in Canada. But, as someone the gentleman above mentioned, the first thing I would do is contact the Provincial Fish and Wildlife Office to find out more information/possible avenues to pursue to get your meat.

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
If time is of the essence, at this point,personally I would jump in the truck and go get the meat. LOL I know it's not just a hop skip and a jump, but it's better than having the meat sit in some other guys freezer for another few months. If the outfitter is going to be around for a little bit longer, or there is someone that has access to his freezer(s), PM me. I have several good friends in Northern Alberta, but not so many in Southern Alberta. However, there are always friends of friends.

I can't believe that the outfitter won't ship it either, especially as it's sitting in HIS freezer right now. All he needs to do is pack it up properly and drive it to the post office. Properly as in a sealed, insulated container, as you're probably looking at a week in transit.

I also can't believe that nobody has ever either brought back the meat, or requested it to be brought back. That seem like total BS. It's pretty much the main reason most folks hunt moose. It will most likely be enough meat to feed a family for a year. Strange.
I'm not sure that Alberta F+W is going to be much help, as no offences have been committed. They may be able to advise on shipping options, but that would be about it.

So I'm trying to give everybody the benefit of the doubt here, but here's how the situation is playing out in my mind :

Outfitter drops moose off at butcher that maybe he hasn't used before?
Butcher does his thing, OP wants the meat shipped to the US, but butcher hasn't done that before, is worried about spoilage, doesn't want to pack in coolers, etc., so says it's not a service he offers.
Time goes by, butcher calls up outfitter, says 'can you come and get this moose meat, it's been sitting in my freezer for a month(or whatever) and I need the space'.
Outfitter picks up the meat, puts it in his freezer, and is scheduled to go on an extremely long holiday shortly afterwards.

And here we are. I can see it playing out like that, with everyone having the best of intentions. Except maybe the butcher. If he knew he was going to reimbursed for his time and whatever packaging cost, he should really have just shipped the meat.

All in all, the best would have been if this was discussed ahead of time with the outfitter, and even if he said 'no problem', I would have been like 'how exactly are you going to get 500lbs or more from here to where I live ?'

Hope it turns out for you.
Also, as was mentioned above, us Canucks certainly do have Rhinehart dealers around, they are just few and far between.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Guy is in Valhalla Centre, couldn't find a Rhinehart anywhere in Alberta, not even when shopping online. Had to go through a store in Minn.
I'm not driving over 2000 miles to get it even if I had the time. Will write it off as a loss first. He had my euro mount too. I'm worried about that too. Thing is, everyone in that area knows the guy. I mean everyone! This is very strange.

goldenarrow

Lil-Rokslider
Fly there ship it yourself and fly home. Or fly to as close as you can get on our side of the border rent a car pick up your meat drive it back to the states then ship it home and fly home.

My father and I are getting our meat shipped back to the states by Central Newfoundland Shipping. We have to drive a few hours away to get it but it is going to be shipped on a refrigerated truck. Their number is 1-709-651-4427. You may want to call them and see if they can help. If you have any questions let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Where's Bruce?
My father and I are getting our meat shipped back to the states by Central Newfoundland Shipping. We have to drive a few hours away to get it but it is going to be shipped on a refrigerated truck. Their number is 1-709-651-4427. You may want to call them and see if they can help. If you have any questions let me know.

My moose is near British Columbia, i don't see how a company thousands of miles away on an island in the Atlantic is gonna be any help.

My moose is near British Columbia, i don't see how a company thousands of miles away on an island in the Atlantic is gonna be any help.

because maybe they know of someone in your area? usually if i call someone for a service, and they can't help due to not being in their area of service, sometimes they refer me to others.
guys just trying to help you out.

Sorry for trying to help. It won’t happen again. I didn’t know it they had other locations. Anyway, I will be eating moose soon and you probably won’t.

I’ll be eating moose back strap in about 3 hours, will you be eating moose before me?

You have me beat but mine should be here soon. Then it will be time to fire up the grill.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Well everyone was so excited to try moose this Thanksgiving and the friggin' Outfitter is holding mine for whatever reason. It's not like I can jump in the truck and drive 4400 miles for it. I've gone from disappointment to disbelief to disillusionment and not I'm just getting pissed. Never have I ever had a problem getting my meat and trophies shipped to me and that includes over 1000lbs of buffalo meat and a couple of bison shoulder mounts. The outfitter ceased responding to me. I may have to write off my meat and euro mount (yes he has that too) unless something changes. i know he is leaving the country for six months soon.

I promise ya this, if I do get screwed I will absolutely make sure everyone and their brother knows the name of this Outfitter and every Google search and online review site will prominently feature my review of his company in detail. I hate that a good trip went bad like this but part of being in a service business is completing the service and taking care of customers. Why they didn't address this with me while I was there is beyond me. He said 100% of his hunters come from the states...I wonder if he has their meat too. Damn this is maddening. I prepaid the butcher, that may have been unwise.

meet-pompous-albert-the-office-cat-who-looks-always-pissed-off-01-13.jpg

Last edited: