Electric stuffer?

Who has 1 and what do you have? Opinion on it? I want around a 11-15# electric stuffer so can make brats and snack sticks. The 25# stuffer can't make snack sticks I hear so looking for smaller. Thanks

Bear_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have the LEM Big Bite 30 lb. motorized stuffer. It's legit. Since I usually do 25 lb batches of things (brats, italian sausage, etc), I can put it all in at once and don't have to reload it, which takes time. I haven't heard the big ones couldn't do snack sticks, but after doing those a few times before (with a small 5 lb stuffer), I decided I'll never do those again.

OP
B
I have the LEM Big Bite 30 lb. motorized stuffer. It's legit. Since I usually do 25 lb batches of things (brats, italian sausage, etc), I can put it all in at once and don't have to reload it, which takes time. I haven't heard the big ones couldn't do snack sticks, but after doing those a few times before (with a small 5 lb stuffer), I decided I'll never do those again.

Was they (snack sticks) that bad to do?

I have heard the big stuffers can't push out the little sticks as it's to hard on the gears
From the motor.

muddydogs

WKR

I have heard the big stuffers can't push out the little sticks as it's to hard on the gears
From the motor.

If the stuffer won't push out the meat then the meat isn't wet enough, add a little water to the mix or beer.

wytx

WKR
We use our #22 grinder for stuffing on the second grind and it works fine. We make snack sticks too and it never has an issue.

Stid2677

WKR
I recently bought a 2 gear stuffer from Amazon, has a low gear and strong teeth. Very little effort needed to extrude when using the low gear.

lKDBusVh.jpg

47DW09Ph.jpg

Amazon.com: VIVO Sausage Stuffer Vertical Dual Gear Stainless Steel 3L/7LB 5-7 Pounds of Meat (STUFR-V203): Kitchen & Dining

OP
B

Roy68

WKR
I've used an 11# stuffer for several years now and have no issue making snack sticks. I use a 12mm stuffing horn and 19mm casing. I have this model; it is a 2 gear stuffer 11 lb Sausage Stuffer - Walton's. I also use a food grade silicone on all the parts contacting meat prior to using. My snack stick and summer sausage mixes are sticky. For me the cost of an electric stuffer isn't worth it, as I always have a 2nd set of hands available. Just made 50# of sticks this weekend.

uCmFUo5.jpg

Bear_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider

From the motor.

Well like you I did them myself, and just the whole process of measuring each one so they'd fit in my smoker, tying each off (busted a lot of cases), then smoking, then finishing off in the oven, then cutting into pieces to vac seal...just a lot of work for one guy, but they are good! And an electric stuffer would help a guy do it himself.

I recommend getting high temp cheese and dried jalapeno flakes. And like muddy dogs said, might need to add moisture if its not coming out of the tube good, that cure makes the meat set up pretty quick.

OP
B
Well like you I did them myself, and just the whole process of measuring each one so they'd fit in my smoker, tying each off (busted a lot of cases), then smoking, then finishing off in the oven, then cutting into pieces to vac seal...just a lot of work for one guy, but they are good! And an electric stuffer would help a guy do it himself.

I recommend getting high temp cheese and dried jalapeno flakes. And like muddy dogs said, might need to add moisture if its not coming out of the tube good, that cure makes the meat set up pretty quick.

The sticks sound like a lot of work for sure. After I get stuffer a smoker will be next but that's a whole different deal cause I want the cold smoke option and reviews are skewed. The modifying method on the MES seems to be the best route for cold smoke but I'm not much on modifying stuff when comes to buying something like that.

Yes sir on the cheese and the flakes. I made 185# bratwurst last year. I used just shredded cheddar on all of that and it turned out great but if casing busted while cooking you lost all the cheese. So this time I know haha

OP
B

Stid2677

WKR
Never seen that. When you smoke cheese or sausage do u even turn your smoker on with that in it?

No,, just the pellet tube, for cheese I place the cheese on a wire rack/cookie sheet with ice under the cheese. Cheese needs to mellow, so vac sealed and in the frig for 3 weeks or so.

I vacuum seal my sausage and use Sous Vide to cook to temp, no drying out that way and easier to control temp.

Tod osier

WKR
OP
B
No,, just the pellet tube, for cheese I place the cheese on a wire rack/cookie sheet with ice under the cheese. Cheese needs to mellow, so vac sealed and in the frig for 3 weeks or so.

I vacuum seal my sausage and use Sous Vide to cook to temp, no drying out that way and easier to control temp.

I've read the Bradley puck style has alotta issues as that's what I initially wanted. Seems that's not a good idea

Stid2677

WKR
I've read the Bradley puck style has alotta issues as that's what I initially wanted. Seems that's not a good idea

I had one catch fire when the wires in the back that powered the heating element shorted and caught the insulation on fire. They sent me a new one. The smoker part that burns the pucks has worked well. Little chief or Big Chief are good for the money. Not hard to make your own, just keep food safety in mind when considering construction materials that could release chemicals when heated.

Part of the fun....

Steve

OP
B
I had one catch fire when the wires in the back that powered the heating element shorted and caught the insulation on fire. They sent me a new one. The smoker part that burns the pucks has worked well. Little chief or Big Chief are good for the money. Not hard to make your own, just keep food safety in mind when considering construction materials that could release chemicals when heated.

Part of the fun....

Steve

I've been considering maybe building 1 that has the features I want. Just not sure I'm smart enough to do it.

Stid2677

WKR
I've been considering maybe building 1 that has the features I want. Just not sure I'm smart enough to do it.

An old oven and one of those tubes, would get you going complete with racks. Cut a vent and off you go.... Google should show you many ways. Food safe, fireproof box and smoke.....

OP
B
An old oven and one of those tubes, would get you going complete with racks. Cut a vent and off you go.... Google should show you many ways. Food safe, fireproof box and smoke.....

Could even use the oven for cooking it too? Or would I need to make a fire box? I have an old stove that worked when I bought a newer 1 for the wifes house updating wants.