Anyone successfully eaten Javelina?

muddydogs

WKR
Shot one a couple weeks ago and since I tend not to believe internet bull I cooked up a couple steaks to try it for myself. Taste and looks like pork to me. I skinned and quartered the javelina like I would an elk, got the meat on ice right away. Don't believe internet hearsay and try the meat for yourself before you decide what to do with it.

jspradley

WKR
Javi is delicious!

The two I had tasted vaguely like nopalitas...which makes sense given that's what they eat mostly.

I smoked a back ham of one of mine and it was one of the best meats I have ever had!

One unfortunate thing I've learned is that a lot of Texas "hunters" will make up all sorts of excuses to try to get out of bringing meat out of the field... :-/

I agree with muddydogs did the gutless on my kids two javelina and they taste great. Did all the backstraps into steaks and ground the rest into breakfast sausage. Everyone loved the steaks with mild garlic salt seasoning. Same people say antelope isn't good either and it is probably the best game meat out there

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
The family and i love to eat them, they make some of the best breakfast/Italian sausage you can have if they are taken care of properly.

I've had mine done into jalapeno cheddar bratwurst by Von Hansen's here in Chandler. Turned out decent. Other hunters/eaters that would normally not touch one said they were pleasantly surprised and would eat them again. So, I'll be back at it again this year for my HAM hunt down south.

The way I usually prep them is simmer in beer, then finish on the grill. Or sous vide at 145* for an hour with herbs powdered garlic, then finish on the grill. A bunch of guys here in AZ brine them in iced saltwater and change out the water a few times. I'll probably try that this year, then process myself.

Skinning them, just be careful as with most game. Change gloves or wash hands after getting the hide off. Be sure to clean knives as well. Start skinning at the top near the neck and pull the hide back. The scent gland will come with it as it's near the back of the animal.

View attachment 63429

View attachment 63430
Never hunted them before and might have a chance this December. Where is the scent gland everyone talks about?

Weldor

WKR
Insta pot, cooked on hugh 30 minutes ( jalapeno's and such) or until it falls off the bone shred it and make some outstanding enchiladas.

Weldor

WKR
Above their tail on the rump. Just skin it out and be careful pulling the hide off. Never had a issue, skin them out just like you would on anything else. They a hoot to hunt.

Stalker69

WKR
We eat a bunch of them every year. We turn them into sausage and tamales, it's great. People at work, want to pay me to make them some every year. Unfortunately they don't yeald a bunch of meat. We only get 2 each per year, and some people in camp don't want theirs so we take them also.

Scorpion

WKR
Had some in Mexico, they slow cooked it and made a soup. I forget the name but it was phenomenal and very tender.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Gramps is not a fan of them on his ranch, I think they are cool and will hopefully draw a tag to go stick one with my bow next spring! Should be fun, any good processors in the Prescott area?

Blandry

WKR
I'm not sure why they were so protected in TX.. They run in packs and eat all the corn. They run unrestricted and can damage your truck/vehicle because they can't see well and just run 30 at a time across the road at speed.
They compete with the deer for food, I don't understand their purpose. I'm sure they fit into the ecosystem somewhere. Would I ever try to eat one?? NO lol

They're usually covered in fleas and stink.. not something I would ever want to eat and I love to eat gamey tasting animals.

Last edited: