Favorite Game Meat (Big Game)

What's your favorite big game meat to eat?

• Antelope

Votes: 27 18.1%
  • Bear

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Blacktail Deer

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Caribou

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Elk

Votes: 54 36.2%
  • Moose

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • Mountain Goat

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Mule Deer

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Sheep

Votes: 14 9.4%
  • Whitetail Deer

Votes: 16 10.7%

• Total voters

wyodan

WKR
Of all that I've tried, the early season high country Mule Deer can't be beat. There are a few on the list that I have not yet tried, but I am trying to remedy that.

Musk ox for roasts. Bison for steak and burger. Dall Sheep for steak and roast. Mt goat
For jalenpo hot dogs, moose for burger. The rest is just burger.

What does muskox taste like? The term "musk" would generally suggest less than ideal table fare. Thinking about an archery hunt this summer. Not something you can buy and try.

I’ve had the opportunity to taste quite a bit of the game that folks have listed here but there are a couple that I haven’t tried, and now this post has really got me thanking about what I’ve been missing. I’ve never tried antelope or axis deer and I’m thinking I might have to try and do something about that. I’ve only had muskox on one occasion and it was very good as well, but still not as good as mountain goat, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRWNBR

WKR
I’ve had some goats that were awful. Moose that were horrid. Caribou you couldn’t chew. Bear that tasted like old tuna,
Deer that you could smell from Outside the house! I suppose there’s a chance for everything to suck sometimes. The musk ox I had I believe was from March and the roasts just melted in your mouth!

JP100

WKR
Of North American Game Ive eaten:

Mt Goat would be number 1 I think. Very similar to lamb and mutton that we eat alot of here.
Caribou and Elk would be second
Moose well down the list.

Of the game here
Fallow deer is by far the best
then Wapiti(elkXred) only eaten one but was very good
Red Deer
then Tahr
then Chamois in last

Mountain goat would be about #10 on my list... Sheep being #1, then sitka blacktail and musk ox. I love Bison as well, hell I guess I love it all but the mountain goats I've taken we just turned into burger, it's fine and we enjoy it but not our favorite by any means.

These are my favorites:
1. Pronghorn antelope
2. elk
3. bison (Might be higher on the list but getting one is very hard as tags are tough to get.)
4. mule deer (before the rut - on bucks)
5. black bear

swampokie

WKR
I think this poll may be showing a little western bias. There is no way that whitetail is 6th or 7th on this list. craziness

There are a few I haven't tried, but also a LOT of these listed and others. Here's my list:

1. Dall's Sheep (always the best, more-even-so in the field)
2. Blacktail Deer (Sitka Blacktail - Alpine/Aug/Sept)
3. Mountain Goat (Alpine/Pre-rut Aug/Sept)
4. Caribou (Aug/Sept)
5. Moose (Excellent when well taken care of. October-sometimes brings rut flavor)
6. Sitka Blacktail Deer (Nov/Dec/rut-decent meat, but alpine is waaaay better)
7. Elk (limited exposure, but pretty decent)

Mule Deer (not sure)
Antelope (not sure)
Whitetail Deer (not sure)

Edible
Mountain Goat (Oct/Nov/rut - not so good-sausage, brats, etc. is the best way)
Black Bear (Spring-OK in summer sausage, etc., fall-not so much)

Bottom of the list
Brown Bear (Spring-tried fresh back straps out of 2 different bigger boars [during separate years] - Wow, No way! Smelled like cooking nasty, rotten garbage. Tried to eat-not a chance!)

I think this poll may be showing a little western bias. There is no way that whitetail is 6th or 7th on this list. craziness

I grew up eating whitetail and I really enjoy it, that said, it's not in my top 5 when it comes to game meat these days.

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
Well you left bison off so I can't vote.

Sorry about that. Was limited to 10 choices and decided to go with the big game categories we have here on Rokslide. Couple other folks have mentioned other species not listed as well. I think Bison would be up to (2), Dall Sheep (3), Musk Ox (1). I'm probably missing a few more.

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
Bottom of the list
Brown Bear (Spring-tried fresh back straps out of 2 different bigger boars [during separate years] - Wow, No way! Smelled like cooking nasty, rotten garbage. Tried to eat-not a chance!)

Have you tried Black Bear? If so, do you consider it edible compared to the brown bear? I have yet to try Black Bear but hunt them spring and fall and will be eating the meat if I get one. Thanks.

Have you tried Black Bear? If so, do you consider it edible compared to the brown bear? I have yet to try Black Bear but hunt them spring and fall and will be eating the meat if I get one. Thanks.

Love black bear meat and cannot wait to try and get one this spring! Steaks, roast's, and sausage are all great.

In AK the only wanton waste requirement in the regs applying to brown bears is for removal of the hide w/ claws and skull. The meat is deemed exempt and largely considered inedible. The only exception to the aforementioned regulation is sustenance killing of browns.

EastMT

WKR
We had brown bear loin steaks last spring on the grill, I thought it was pretty good. Not as good as fall blackies high in the berries, but def edible. I haven't tried one on a salmon stream, and I don't want to, very bad from what I hear.

"If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
I find it really hard to beat red deer.

The best big game meat I've tried is chital (axis) but haven't had them for years. Of the readily available I'll always take a red, either stag in velvet or a yearling hind.
ae22a25b1ab109631efaa2aabd5fd225.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk