Favorite Game Meat (Big Game)

What's your favorite big game meat to eat?

• Antelope

Votes: 27 18.1%
  • Bear

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Blacktail Deer

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Caribou

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Elk

Votes: 54 36.2%
  • Moose

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • Mountain Goat

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Mule Deer

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Sheep

Votes: 14 9.4%
  • Whitetail Deer

Votes: 16 10.7%

• Total voters
Not to veer too far off track but anyone know a good outfitter (from personal experience) for Aug-Sep archery muskox hunting in Greenland? One with reasonable pricing??? I wanna true trophy and the time to be selective as it will hang on the wall by my bison mounts.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not to veer too far off track but anyone know a good outfitter (from personal experience) for Aug-Sep archery muskox hunting in Greenland? One with reasonable pricing??? I wanna true trophy and the time to be selective as it will hang on the wall by my bison mounts.
You gotta "live hunt" that one if you do it.

Live2hunt custom shelters

You gotta "live hunt" that one if you do it.

I woulda done that with my 12 day moose hunt last Fall if this site wasn't such a PITA to upload images to. That's why i only posted at archerytalk, it took the 1mb images w/o a problem. This site is too tough to do via mobile while in the field. Half the time my images stop appearing after a day. Really frustrating image hosting software here.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I woulda done that with my 12 day moose hunt last Fall if this site wasn't such a PITA to upload images to. That's why i only posted at archerytalk, it took the 1mb images w/o a problem. This site is too tough to do via mobile while in the field. Half the time my images stop appearing after a day. Really frustrating image hosting software here.
I'm sure one of us could post them for you

Bear_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Musk Ox hands down, but it's not on the list.

Of those on the list, it's hard to pick a favorite, but it's a toss up between sheep and blacktail. Coming in dead last is Mountain Goat. All of mine have tasted fine, but I don't think a tender piece of meat exists on them.

Musk Ox hands down, but it's not on the list.

Of those on the list, it's hard to pick a favorite, but it's a toss up between sheep and blacktail. Coming in dead last is Mountain Goat. All of mine have tasted fine, but I don't think a tender piece of meat exists on them.

I have some strap and loins in the freezer that a toothless meth head could eat without a problem. I’d offer to hook you up with some but I’m afraid my kids would try and kill me in my sleep for giving our goat meat away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
Mountain lion is one of the best, but not on this list so I voted for Antelope. A big old tom lion can be tough, but young ones are tender and they all have excellent flavor.

Bear_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have some strap and loins in the freezer that a toothless meth head could eat without a problem. I’d offer to hook you up with some but I’m afraid my kids would try and kill me in my sleep for giving our goat meat away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear meth heads are capable of doing some impressive things, so I believe you :D
Kidding aside, did you do anything in particular, like age it?

I'll try and search for that piece behind the eye socket on my next one Brownbear! Surprised to see animals like mountain lion on here, never woulda thunk it...

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up hunting whitetail in Missouri and thought the meat was ok. Then I moved to Alaska and realized that in comparison to pretty much all Alaskan big game, whitetail sucks. Never had antelope or mulie but have had elk a couple time and would rate it highly. I've had the rest in my freezer over the years including a bison and musk ox. I might say sheep on top then maybe blacktail. I've had excellent cuts from most game: bluecheese stuffed goat tenderloin, blueberry fed black bear steaks, bison roasts, moose dogs, or caribou breakfast sausage. The brown bear I harvested last fall actually made pretty good summer sausage.

Reasonable pricing and hunting in Greenland, ha. If you want a "true trophy", you'll find a hunt for Barren Ground Musk Ox, as they are the biggest and not found in AK or Greenland. Also, go in the spring, it's an adventure with the killing shot being mostly anti-climactic in comparison to everything else involved.

Reasonable pricing and hunting in Greenland, ha. If you want a "true trophy", you'll find a hunt for Barren Ground Musk Ox, as they are the biggest and not found in AK or Greenland. Also, go in the spring, it's an adventure with the killing shot being mostly anti-climactic in comparison to everything else involved.

Greenland is out...no legal way to bring the meat home. Looking for alternatives and referrals! Definitely wanna spot and stalk hunt, not one where you drive up to a herd on a snow machine is subzero weather and shoot an arrow into a huddled herd.

Trial153

WKR
your not getting around with out snow mechines so start looking for something else to hunt.

Kidding aside, did you do anything in particular, like age it?
I've never aged it on purpose but on average it's usually about 7-10 days, give or take, from the time it's killed until it's processed and in the freezer. I used to just burger it all (excluding straps and loins), because I thought that it would be tough otherwise, then a couple years ago I decided to pull a few roasts off to cook in the slow cooker. All I can say is, man they were wonderful! I've never killed an old billy, or even had any meat off an old billy, so I can't speak to that. That being said, I've never had tough mountain goat meat and I've eaten meat from probably around a dozen different goats. I'm not at all saying that it's not possible, I've just never had tough goat.

MTtrout

WKR
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]I chose elk but antelope is a close second. I grew up on whitetails and lately, mule deer, and have had moose a few times. I think its all great and have yet to kill an animal that I haven't been able to cook in a way that isn't mouthwatering. Looking forward to trying more on this list someday! [/FONT][/FONT]