Getting it home

Cruzzer3

FNG
Hello.
Hope you guys can help. Sept is my wife’s and I first elk trip out west. I’m going for work then she is flying out after my classes. We have to fly. My flight is covered by FEMA and her flight is covered by a 300$ voucher needing used. If the stars align and we kill something what is our best options? How do we get it from Colorado to ohio? Cost? Should we just bull hunt due to the hassle and cost of transport?

Thanks for your help.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
It's really only a big deal if you make it so. My free advice - get the meat to a processor to have it cut and frozen. Once it is frozen solid, you can have them pack it into some Styrofoam-lined boxes and 2-day ship it home. Most bigger processors can handle this for you. It may cost a bit more but, would be worth it to me. If you do happen to down a bull, they can usually ship the skull to you or, recommend a local taxidermist to mount/euro the skull and ship it later.

Do your homework now on processors in the area you'll be hunting and be prepared with some places that you've contacted ahead of time. That way, you have a plan for dealing with this should you down an animal.

Crapshoot

WKR
Fly Southwest. 2 BAGS EA. Free. That's a total of 4 50lb coolers between you and the wife.

Buy the cheap $10 foam coolers and several roles of Duct Tape. Wrap the foam coolers completely well with a lot of tape but make sure the lid is accessible for TSA to open at airport. After TSA checks the cooler then seal the lids with remaining Duct Tape.

Now having said this, as Widnert stated. This will only work if you have prearrange a processor that can flash freeze your meat overnight so that the next day it will be frozen solid and ready for your travels.

OP
C

Cruzzer3

FNG
Thanks for your reply guys. I will take that advise. I can fly south west but we have a 300$ voucher that pays for my wifes flight. We went to Hawaii and got screwed a bit by American Airlines so they gave us the voucher. So to save the 300$ she has to fly with American Airlines. Yes a bull would cost more but also its easier to pay if you get a set of horns to stare at for years and relive the hunt.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I always drive out so the flying with meat is something I have not done yet.

Widnert's advise above is exactly what I was thinking, get a hold of a processor in the area you plan to hunt way ahead of time and the get a hold of another just in case the first one is to busy. They are used to dealing with your situation and will get your meat home to you.