Kill Bags.

Hey guys, relatively new here, but thought I’d share so that some of you may not have heard of. I do a lot of fishing on the Great Lakes for salmon and lake trout. I was researching coolers years ago and discovered kill bags. Basically a big, tough, well insulated soft side cooler. There’s several brands out there but I went with the Reliable brand. On the water in 80 degree heat in the sun this will hold block ice for a couple days depending on how often we use it and how many fish go in. I’ve had well over 100 lbs of fish and ice in it and she’s held up nicely.

Reason I’m posting here, is that I thought this would be an excellent way to bring back boned out meat from a trip. Packs small in the truck, can be conformed to fit in odd shapes spaces, and no wasted space when you pack it with meat. They aren’t cheap, but a lot less expensive that a big roto molded cooler.

Just a heads up on something that might work well for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amp713

WKR
A lot of guys have been doing that with the yeti soft side coolers lately. Haven't tried it myself yet...

OP
C
Found a picture from last year showing the inside of the bag on a good day to give you an idea of size and construction.
671a83b3cc2ffcbd9add5c09f6b1880d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They aren’t cheap, but a lot less expensive that a big roto molded cooler.

Unless space is a concern its hard to beat the very affordable coleman extreme coolers which work almost as well as the expensive coolers. Can load gear in the cooler when empty if space is tight. Long story short don't assume you need to spend hundreds on a cooler to get the job done.

Not dismissing your suggestion, just commenting on that above statement. :)

amp713

WKR
Unless space is a concern its hard to beat the very affordable coleman extreme coolers which work almost as well as the expensive coolers. Can load gear in the cooler when empty if space is tight. Long story short don't assume you need to spend hundreds on a cooler to get the job done.

Not dismissing your suggestion, just commenting on that above statement. :)

I actually found kelty collapsible coolers and want to give them a shot, they collapse down small as heck. you could fit probably 4 larges collapsed in the space youd usually fill with one single cooler. Seems like a good plan if you were leaving coolers in your truck bed, especially if you could stick dry ice in it while collapsed to keep it cold

I like the kill bag option for packing in on the way up, slide it in a crevice in the truck. That and the fact you can zip them up tightly to keep dust out, that mountain dust made mud in almost all my coolers last trip. Thanks for the tip, might have to look into that. On a side note, it looks like I need to go fishing with you.