Recommend me books on butchering

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any recommendations on more advanced butchering books from the perspective of someone who has butchered many of their own game animals and has a general understanding of game animal anatomy but wants to take it a step further. I have the Rinella books, looking more for a resource to take that next step and advance my skills.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Anyone have any recommendations on more advanced butchering books from the perspective of someone who has butchered many of their own game animals and has a general understanding of game animal anatomy but wants to take it a step further. I have the Rinella books, looking more for a resource to take that next step and advance my skills.

Not a book, but check out Scott Rea on YouTube. He's got some awesome ways to present cuts.

Then there's the charcuterie book if you want to get into the curing game.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Are you talking about deer that you hang and process in a controlled environment or are you talking about a gutless method on a mountain side with the animal on the ground?

• Banned
OP

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
Not a book, but check out Scott Rea on YouTube. He's got some awesome ways to present cuts.

Then there's the charcuterie book if you want to get into the curing game.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I will definitely check him out. I do have the charcuterie book, but that tends to be more of an after the meat is fully butchered.

Are you talking about deer that you hang and process in a controlled environment or are you talking about a gutless method on a mountain side with the animal on the ground?

Is it wrong of me to say both? Whether it is gutless and quartered or skinned/quartered in a controlled environment, the piece I am looking to increase my skill on is the actual butchering and breaking down of the largers parts and separate muscles, and optional meat cuts within those parts.

I read quite a few reviews on different books on amazon and the central theme seemed to be that the basics were covered but most of the books were geared towards a first timer and the beginning processes.

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
No, not wrong, I just hoped to understand the request. Ive butchered just about everything we can get our hands on. We did custom butchering for others on the farm and I continued that when I bought my most recent home. I will create a dedicated thread on deer butchering rather than hijack yours.

I'll second the Scott Rea recommendation.
I killed my first muley last fall and brought it out on the bone mostly. When I got back home I wanted to know what cuts were what when I butchered and searched for quite a while to find a good resource. For free, Scott's are the best. You have to do some research to figure out what 'silver side' and other cuts are - British vs. American terminology- but beyond that, his videos are comprehensive and mildly entertaining ("rock and roll, baby;" he's fairly stuck in the 70's). His whole premise for his channel is keeping the butchery trade alive before it's lost to mass-produced meat factories, and this goes well with our DIY efforts to have control over where our meat comes from.
And he does it all in a tiny kitchen with a couple of knives and a bone saw.
His cooking videos are also good.
There's a Bon Apetit video on butchering a side of beef that's also quite good. Different scale, but same idea. Amazing how one small man can take apart a side that efficiently.

Othewise, Buck, Buck Moose does a reasonable job (and you should own that one anyways).

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for asking this question. I think the beef videos should apply well to moose. Does anyone have a moose specific thread, video, or book? I'm very comfortable with deer, but I will be hopefully quartering a butchering a moose and the size of the primal cuts is going to be intimidating.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I will Third on Scott Rea's You-tube channel. I have been processing my own game for years and have always cut bone-in venison chops (mini tomahawk steaks). It took a lot of effort to get it right, until I watched his videos and learned the easy way to do it. Watching his videos showed me new ways of going about breaking down and processing the different cuts.

Something I am going to try this season is to cut out a rib bone with all the meat attached from the back strap down to the end of the rib (belly). Should be great grilled and hopefully have the wow factor for guests.